What were you watching back then?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wasn't sure where to put this picture so I suppose here is good enough, it's a picture I took last week at the National Space Center in Leicester, it is a mock up of a typical living room at the time

Orange and brown colours a must have in the 60s, a radiogram in the front room and a sideboard just like that in the dining room. We had taste in them days.  

Love the picture Rog........and yes brings back memories........first wife gone.......Hippy girl from West Midlands moved in.......Uncle John decorated most of the house for me......ORANGE......she lo

• 1 year later...

Loved ''Tales of the unexpected''...........alot of it filmed around Norwich,even at an Hotel where i used to stay ''The Maids Head''..........

Yes Ian,......symbol was man on Horse carrying a flag,loved the music to 'Tales' sort of a roundabout with smart 'Crumpet' dancing to it...............

Never watched telly back then, was busy going out enjoying life.......

• Upvote 2

You didn't hang about then, benjamin. 'Tales... used to start at 9pm.

I lived in Suffolk in the '70s, so we got Anglia. Remember ' from Norwich, it's theeee quiiiiz of the week, Sale of the bleddy Century '.

• Upvote 2

no TBI,........Always up early in Norwich,..............met Nicholas Parsons in a Little chef on the Norwich ring road...............having breakfeast.........

• Upvote 1

Worked Suffolk alot TBI................Lowestoft,Leiston,Ipswich among others,had a friend Lived in Southwold............

I was a student in 69 and watched very little TV. There was a small one in the union bar. Magic Roundabout used to be on in the early evening sometimes and we enjoyed a good laugh at that but perhaps what we were laughing at was not what was intended! There is a gap in my TV watching from 68 to 75. This was during student days and then, when we were first married, we did not have a TV.

Last few posts remind me of an incident in Suffolk, not long after we were married.

I was managing a tv shop on Stowmarket High St at the time. To start off with, we stayed in the flat above the shop. One Saturday night/Sunday morning in winter I was awoken by crash from the street. Our bedroom opened on to a balcony that overlooked the street and I ran out to see what it was. Street was deserted, someone had decided to kick the shop window in, glass everywhere. No sleep for the remainder of the night as emergency repairers were called and all the mess cleared.

In bed the following Saturday night, the last thing the missus said was ' remember last week, what a palaver '. There was then another almighty crash. I was out bed and on the balcony in a flash. The window had been done again. The street was dark and deserted but there was a dusting of snow and some footprints could be made out. Further up the road a figure was tottering away. I'm having him I thought. I straddled the balcony, dropped down to the ground and legged it after him. As I caught him up and jumped on him, I realised he was pissed. I then realised how big he was. I was in a rage and shouting when fortunately a police car suddenly appeared. The two coppers jumped out and before I knew it, they'd got hold of me and were trying to get me in an arm-lock and shove me in the car. I'm shouting, the drunk is cowering in a doorway. Summat's wrong, I thought. Then I shivered and realised I'd moved so fast, I didn't have a stitch on!

Turned out ok though, one of the coppers recognised me. Then he recognised the other feller. Turns out he was the town psycho, recently released from HMP Norwich for GBH. The things that 'appen.

• Upvote 2

A sight to behold TBI,I bet the crim got the shock of his life!!

I didn't really watch the box until about 1971..Vision On,Moody and Peg,Within these Walls,Boney,Helen a Woman of Today and Sam i seem to recall. The Gentle Touch,Hunters Walk, and some memorable Play for Todays.

Penda's Fen was a fave.In '73 Simon Park got me into Van Der Valk..remembered Baz from Ryan's Daughter. I was the youngest of four boys,so I watched telly with my Mum,they would waft by funking of patchouli oil..heading for The Boat Club,me with a glass of QC and a bag of jockeys squinting at Beryls Lot or The Hanged Man!