Report : St. Ann's - (Thames TV) - Nottingham Slums 1969

One of those 'Dream Houses' was built at Nuthall on what is now Old Nottingham Road. It was a nice peaceful spot - then they built the by-pass and the 'Magic Roundabout'

I watched this on youtube a couple of months ago and then got our 46 year old daughter to come round and see how it was back then.Working for the gasboard saw a lot of poverty when we had to go around with our own debt collector and if he could not get any money we had to disconnect and remove gas stoves.Lived in the medders myself(Atlas Terrace) but I remember the rent was 10bob a week and dad on the railway got 10 quid a week, normal now would be at least 25% going on rent etc funny world....

It was very modern for its time and still looks that way really. I doubt there are many people around there now that realise that it was a Kellogg's house

Malcolm, I just tried some thing and it worked for me.

Copy your Address at top of the page when you are on Streetview.

Click into reply box back on Nottstalgia, and then click on the Link icon.(9th icon from the left)

Paste your address in the box Good Luck

Sorry CliffTon, I had already pressed post!

Yes. It is the white pebbledashed house with the balcony.

Now how did you do that?

When you get the place you're aiming for on Streetview, go to the bit with the Link symbol (towards top left).

Click on it.

Tick the box called Short URL.

That will give you a sequence of about a dozen characters.

Cut-and-paste those into your reply here.

That all works but. I can cut, to highlight in blue, but I cannot copy. The pop down menu doesn't give me that option - long or short URL. Just tried it on my desktop and same thing. I'll hvae another go on Image attach test.

One of those 'Dream Houses' was built at Nuthall on what is now Old Nottingham Road. It was a nice peaceful spot - then they built the by-pass and the 'Magic Roundabout'

I remember the 'Kellog's' house in Nuthall, it was a big deal at the time. Very modern compared to everything else around it.

What road is it on?

Streetview?

The answer got slightly separated from the original question.

kellog.jpg

• 4 months later...

My name is John Sheppard and live in Holland. I lived in St Anns in those years. I was watching the

Nottingham Slums 1969 and was in shock when i saw this on you tube, because in the film

There was my SISTER VIVIAN SHEPPARD helping in my FATHERS SHOP . She was helping KATH CHURCHILL.

My sister DIED 2 years later in a car accident in 1971 in Nottinham. The shop was from REG SHEPPARD does anyone remember this.

Please contact me if anyone remember this.

• Upvote 1

John i did'nt know your sister in the film, but our neighbour and friend appeared in bath st. washouse sequence she was May Casey. My mam refused to appear in the film- firstly there was no payment and secondly there were two bed wetters in our house and she was fed up of trundling a pram there twice a week with urine sopped sheets!!

Just watched the u-tube film of St Ann's.

This is the first time that I have seen it.

I was born and bred in St Ann's when I married we rented a house on Manning St St Ann's yes! the houses were not great but people make SLUMS!!!! Don't believe every thing you see.

What it doe's not show is the great community that was in St Ann's

A lot of the film showing is when most of the house's were being pulled down.

• 1 year later...