robin hoods stream

Next came an iron fence with the pond far behind, and like you PeverilPeril, then turning left along Coronation Drive(?)

Next through a narrow bridge under the GC railway line and down the long path to his allotment on the right.

Re: The narrow bridge. See post #54 http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5789&page=3 third photo down.

Yes Basfordlad#12 I knew Mike Mott although he was more of a 'full bore' (303) shooter, his father Robbie did the legal work for the lease.

Adding to my first post we thought it was just a ditch we were culverting not realising it had a 'Robin Hood' name, I wonder if the archers shooting their arrows on the Civil Service sports ground across the road knew about it.

If I remember rightly there were only 4 semi-d's. on either side of Bede Ling and not too pleased at the increase in traffic except for the last house on the left who's side boundary moved more than two yards extra over the stream, the diverted footpath went to the right on top of the covered in culvert.

Thinking about it the 303 rifle range near Trent Station was closed down because Ratcliffe power station was in the "danger zone" I don't remember anyone worrying about the allotments behind the 100 yd. stop butts at Bede Ling!

Only shot there a couple of times like Mike I was more into full bore rifle and pistol and muzzle loading. Did you know Mike went on to shoot muzzle loading rifle for team GB?

As to Robbie he was a bit of a lad to say the least. I was with Mike in his dads old office on Milton Street and he showed me the legal tombs that Robbie had used as a back stop against the office wall whilst practicing with his revolver.

There were many more allotments than indicated on the map by the 60's, they covered quite a wide area I recall. Our allotment was only about 50 yards from where the stream came in from the river, my job as a kid was to fetch the water in buckets from there, no standpipes then.

During one winter, '62-ish, I remember the whole area was completely flooded up to near the school. Us kids made rafts from old planks and had a great time sailing, although the planks were mostly underwater and we were all soaked through and freezing. Brilliant though.

• 2 weeks later...

TBI your allotment was probably near my friend and neighbours allotment Mr Cooksie.

There never seemed many people about on the allotments when we were down there. I can only picture one oldish chap, tall thin grey-haired, who my dad used to talk to. His allotment was next but one to ours I think. The name Cooksie rings a bell from school, not someone I knew, but in one of the other years.

• 1 month later...

that field where you built the shooting range on was a very old meadow before that. I used to picnic in it with my sisters when we were very young. in the spring and summer it was alive with butterflies and bees there were thousands of wild flowers in it, it was the last meadow in Nottingham that I knew of. The farmer used to graze his cattle on it from time to time ,GERNSEYS AND JERSEYS. On bede ling ave there used to be a small shop where we used to buy three penny worth of broken biscuits. also there was a chap lived in bede ling ave. who was a train driver his name was pete pane,, it was a crime that the meadow was ripped out.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

Across Wilford Rd from the top of Waterway Street there was a lane heading down into the railway shunting yards. In the basement of one of the large railway office blocks was a shooting range. Just .22 rifles now't special, with sandbags down one end.and some wooden stands to take targets.

My Dad introduced me to the guy upstairs from whom you could get a rifle, and buy ammo and targets. There was never anyone else down in the basement when I would turn up after school. My Dad gave me a couple of lessons, and after that I was on my own. Growing up in the forties and fifties, just post WWII, being familiar with a rifle was seen as desirable. Even for someone as young as thirteen, which is when I first started shooting. Does anyone here know of the range?