Railways featured in films and music

'Legend has it that Paul Simon wrote 'Homeward Bound' on Carnforth Station, the Essex version of the story is that he wrote it at Brentwood station when he was performing and staying at the Railway Inn there. I've heard other stories that he wrote it at Clapham Junction or even Blackburn, does anybody have any other theories. '

Although there seems to be some debate about this, it seems generally accepted that it was Widnes station between Liverpool and Manchester. There is a plaque on the station commemorating it.

Here's one of many references; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeward_Bound_(song)

By the way, I can't seem to get the usual 'quote' function to work when replying to postings.

Here you go, I'm listening to the original vinyl release now, Dixie Chicken by Little Feat, released 1973, 2nd track Two Trains, penned by the late great Lowell George, sorely missed, final track Lafayette Railroad, a bit crackly, buts that's the dust, it's going under the tap now.

There's a good page on Wikipedia called ' List of Railway songs', on which are listed about 1000 of them, it's interesting to see how many different artists have contributed in various ways and genres. I had a vinyl session last night ( my missus was away!!), without really trying to specifically look for railway songs, I found just about every album produced a reference somewhere from the Rolling Stones to the Dixie Chicks. I'll chuck Ed Sheeran on in a minute to see if he's earnt his Ian Allan badge, there ain't been any trains in Framlingham for a few years though.

There was a film which I saw once on TV many years ago and I don't think it's ever been shown since.

It was called 'Terror on a Train' and apart from a lot of well known British actors, the main star was Glenn Ford to make it sellable in the US.

The story was that a saboteur had placed a bomb on a munitions train and Ford played a bomb disposal expert who was called to defuse it.

It was filmed entirely on BR and I think the loco was a Stanier engine. Don't suppose it will ever be shown again now!

My favourite railway film - Oh Mr Porter. Hasn't aged a day and still one of the greatest British comedy films. For those interested in such things, the tank engine in the film, named Gladstone, was built in 1899 by Hawthorn and Leslie, and had their construction number 242.

Has anyone seen 'The Password is Courage' starring Dirk Bogarde. Based on the alleged true story of a POW in WW2 Germany, it was filmed entirely in the UK. At one stage the POW's get to work in a railway yard and loco shed where they spend most of their time sabotaging equipment. Very little is done to disguise the clearly BR equipment and locos, most of which are ex LMS, I have a feeling it was filmed in a Lancashire shed. Eventually they manage to derail a goods train, which from memory was a Fowler 2-6-4 tank fitted with odd looking smoke deflectors to make it look 'German', I think it was cut up on the spot afterwards, though there were rumours it was buried. Has anyone else seen this film?

Railway Children - still a good classic children's film......

Firbeck, I think there was an article about the making of that film in the British Railways London Midland Region staff magazine around 1960. I certainly remember the Fowler 2-6-4 tank with smoke deflectors. I'm pretty sure it was one of the Elstree studios that produced it. I think the article said that the derailment sequence was shot somewhere in the Elstree area - i.e. Midland line's London suburbia - possibly Radlett, but not sure.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget Arthur Askey in The Love Match (I think it was). He was an engine driver at Longsight depot, where some filming took place.

• Upvote 1

The book I mentioned before gives the following relevant details for 'The Password is Courage': -

The munitions train is hauled by a Fowler 2-6-4T (possible 42325). The scene with some wagons destroyed was filmed at Scratchwood sidings, Mill Hill (between Hendon and Elstree).

The scenes where Dirk Bogarde was sent to work in a depot and yard were filmed at Cricklewood.

The train sabotaged by Bogarde was also filmed at Scratchwood and used 42325 (which was already withdrawn, but in steam) and 'rumour has it that the loco was cut up on site after filming was completed'.

When Bogarde boards a train in an attempt to escape the scene was filmed at Radlett. The arrival scenes were filmed at Brighton.

So all these locations, except Brighton, were pretty handy for Elstree. I don't think I've ever seen the film, so will have to watch out for it.

Re 'The Love Match', according to this same book, the earlier shed scenes at least were filmed at Newton Heath shed.

The scene where they stop the engine on the line at the top of the banking behind the goal at the football ground was of course at Burnden Park, Bolton. By the time of my only visit there in the mid-1980s that line was long closed - as is the ground too, now, of course.

• Upvote 1

Re 'Password is Courage', you've reminded me of something I read a year or two ago in Railway Magazine which dealt with the whereabouts of possibly buried locomotives. The article considered the rumour that the Fowler was not cut up but simply buried under spoil during the building of Scratchwood services on the M1, unlikely, but who knows what's under your feet when you're having a fry up.

I recall going around Cricklewood shed during a BGS shed tour around that time, didn't it provide motive power for the Marylebone-Vic route, I don't recall bumping into a bunch of POW's.

• Upvote 1

I went on the BGS shed tour during the Winter of 63/64, by then , Neasden had closed in June 62, Kentish Town closed April 63, therefore motive power for both the ex Midland and GCR routes was provided from Cricklewood. Few trains from St Pancras were steam hauled by then, the 'Peaks' had taken over, the Jubilees and Scots that I came across at Cricklewood were for the Vic 'semi-fasts'. I recall the weather that day was terrible and my photos were pretty poor, but I managed a few.

It was a similar story at Willesden, Camden closed in October 63 and the remaining Coronation Pacific's were moved to Willesden, there were about half a dozen in there when we went round plus the last WCML Scot 46115. I wish I'd had a decent camera that day, my brother took his 35mm Hannimex, but the shutter jammed and he didn't get any pics, shame.

• Upvote 1