Just posted on Facebook

"Watter" was also used in Nottingham, as kids we used to call water "watter".

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We called an ice lolly a sucker when I was young - is that still the same? When I moved to Leicester I went in a shop and asked for a sucker and the shopkeeper had no idea what I was talking about. Amazing how words varied so much between neighbouring towns. I thought at the time that the words 'ice lolly' sounded a bit posh

• Upvote 5

MargieH,

That Nottingham expression is one of the first that I had to drop when I came to West-Mids. It was easier to drop it, than try to explain it! I now say Ice Lolly. It used to sound posh to me, But I have got used to it now. I soon resort back to Sucker, when I am in Nottingham. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

I did that once when we were on holiday at Portsmouth & Sunny Southsea. I was deemed to be of an age where it was OK for me to go into a shop by myself while my parents were outside. I may as well have been talking to the shop assistant in Chinese Mandarin and I was getting very upset because the 'person' behind the counter couldn't understand what a sucker was. It was a relief when my parents came in to find out why I had been in the shop so long. I was quite happy when I had got me sucker! wereno1

• Upvote 2

Had to do the honours for you Carnie' and make you 2'000.......................and of course i meant brussel sprouts, bleddy hell.lol

#10, probably nowhere as bad as several hundred years back. When Pilgrims went on the march to Dover to cross the channel to visit the Holy places in Europe, dialects and meanings changed by the mile!!! Asking to buy an egg was a major problem, the humble chickens egg had so many different names.

Remember, back then, the average surf never traveled more than a couple of miles in his/her lifetime.

I remember when the wife and I were sailing to the states from Australia, we docked in Wellington, New Zealand. We went for a breakfast and had "Iggs", Bacon etc. Iggs being the way the Kiwi waitress said eggs. "And how many iggs do you want and how cooked"...LOL

• Upvote 1

I have a bath once a year, whether I need one or not.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...