Just posted on Facebook

#25 Tree, Firstly, Welcome to Nottstalgia, Join our gang. We will enjoy sharing memories and information with you, and as you will probably have noticed. Plenty of friendly banter.

One of the first things I had to drop when leaving Nottingham for far off Wolverhampton; was the expression "Suckers". It took so long to explain what I was on about, it was easier to drop it. So now you see Ay hem vury vury poshe and say "Ice Lollies", ( in public) but "Suckers" at Om! :biggrin:

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

We called an ice lolly a sucker when I was young - is that still the same? When I moved to Leicester I went in a shop and asked for a sucker and the shopkeeper had no idea what I was talking about. Amazing how words varied so much between neighbouring towns. I thought at the time that the words 'ice lolly' sounded a bit posh

My daughter went to Leeds University and on one visit me and misses called in on a chippy to get chips. So we walked in joined the queue looked at the menu board and couldn’t see what we wanted so when our turn came we stepped up to the counter and said two mixes please the man behind the counter stood and stared then said what’s that. I explained it’s a portion of chips with peas on top. He then said he’s never herd of that and asked where wearer from I said Nottingham he then said he’ll have to put that on the menu then gave us our mixes at half price…..I thought ever body knew what a mix was. How wrong was I

• Upvote 2

In 1972 my Austrailan relatives were visiting and went shopping in the Victoria Centre branch of Boots. The sales assistant was startled when they asked if the paper bags containing their purchases could be fastened with some Durex,

At that time Durex was a common brand of adhesive tape in Australia - and Durex was the generic used for of all such sticky tape as we might use 'sellotape'.

• Upvote 1

Ugh! What a subject first thing in a morning, and on an empty stomach too.

• Upvote 1

They don't have cobs in Yorkshire, they have bread buns! So they probably wouldn't share my confusion the first time I heard the expression "He's got a cob on!"

I lived in North Yorkshire for a while, so I'm bilingual, sithee!

• Upvote 1

They don't have cobs in Yorkshire, they have bread buns! So they probably wouldn't share my confusion the first time I heard the expression "He's got a cob on!"

I lived in North Yorkshire for a while, so I'm bilingual, sithee!

My daughter’s partner lived in Leeds all his life calls them bread cakes is that because he comes from a different part of Yorkshire

• Upvote 1