Can you remember the Sunday night disco at (Edith) Colemans Dance Hall, Clumber Street. It was'nt licenced and you used to have to sneak out of the fire exit, to the Crystal Palace Pub, to get a drink.

I remember a couple of records of the time.

Love of the Common People - Nikki Thomas and

Neanderthal Man - Hot Legs (later to become 10CC)

The latter the girls would sit on the floor, crossing and uncrossing their legs.

I remember Edith walking round making them all stand up.

It was a wierd place. Rectangular room, with seats round the outside.

The crowd would walk round the outside. till a seat would appear, when someone

would sit down. This Musical chairs game would go on all night.

Colemans became Rose's Jewellers, and the Crystal Palace Pub is now an

amusement arcade!

• 1 year later...

I can remember Colemans on Clumber St. We all used to meet in the Red Lion pub just down from the Palace Pub, Then on to the Corner Pin before we had enough dutch courage to ask the gels to dance

• 3 years later...

Does anyone remember Colmans Dance Hall in Maypole Yard? It was run by Enid and Aubrey Colman. Fantasic weekends were spent there. We used to nip in next door to the Crystal Palace for a drink. Also the Palais de Dance and the Laccano were very good around the same time.50s and 60s The Palais in those days used to have dancing at lunch times.

Does anyone remember Colmans Dance Hall in Maypole Yard? It was run by Enid and Aubrey Colman. Fantasic weekends were spent there. We used to nip in next door to the Crystal Palace for a drink. Also the Palais de Dance and the Laccano were very good around the same time.50s and 60s The Palais in those days used to have dancing at lunch times.

I used to go to Colmans on Friday nights when I was 14, must have been 1966. Used to go the Palais sometimes around that time. I remember my boyfriend dragging me on to the stage to propose (there must have been a prize of some sort)

Colemans, Friday and Sunday nights in 1962/63. Happy days!

Yes, there was some kind of prize at the Palais for announcing an engagement I seem to vaguely remember. Can't remember what the prize was. Tried to get my late wife to do it, but she was not having any. no1

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yes - happy days (evenings!)

I remember when the Twist came out it was banned at Colmans because they said the movements were 'lewd'.

We were all very virtuous in those days, weren`t we?

Colmans was mustard what about the mashed potato?

Actually, I remember a very particular Monday evening when my mate and I were heading for Colmans and never got there.

We went to the underground `Ladies` in Slab Square to get suitably dolled up and when we emerged the Square was filling up with excited crowds.

We joined them for the wonderful evening when The Reds came on to the Council House balcony to show the FA Cup and receive the adulation of the people.

It was brilliant. There were people up lamp posts and up trees and the Square was packed in all directions.

I`ll never forget that evening. It was history being made!

Used to go the Palais I remember my boyfriend dragging me on to the stage to propose (there must have been a prize of some sort)

You were the Prize Carol rolleyes.gif

That was Roy and Mary Knight's Dancing School.

I believe there was a family connection?

Could be wrong

And it was Burtons.

Then became Emanuel House.

A hostel for the homeless.

Which I believe it still is?

• 5 months later...

Talking about digging up old topics. I see this one's been dormant for a long time. Probably got some newcomers now who remember Colemans. It always seemed hot in there to me, and loud! One of a number of places we used to circulate around looking for a date.

Great place! And, as I`ve recalled before, when the Twist came out we weren`t allowed to do it because the movements were too sexy!

There`d be a tap on the shoulder and, "Now then, stop that!"

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

PeverilPeril...re #4....Wasn't Wednesday nights known as the 'Grab A Granny' nights (#2) or was that after your time in the 50s.... slywink

It was all young people in the 50's. I was OK at ballroom dancing but preferred the Creep or Rock. The term grab a granny started in the late 60's and I was married with kids by then.

G.a.G.?

Wednesday night at the Palais.

Does anyone remember?

First Wednesday night of October, before start Goose Fair on the thursday, in the 1960s, was called 'Rape Night'.

I remember Lads chasing girls on Mount Hooten Road, next to the Forest and was too young to know about such things in those days?