Family tree. Lotus Street, st anns

I was wondering if anyone lived, or is still in contact with anyone who lived on Lotus street, st anns and remember the smith family of 19.

Any information would be extremely valuable.

From what I hear, they were a gypsy family and nelly smith had the nickname nelson from a patch on her eye, not sure how true this is though

Hi Mrsfurniss, welcome to the site. I think you might have more luck if you try "St Anns pre-demolition" on Facebook. There's loads of info & photos there and I'm willing to bet you'd find someone to help you pretty quickly. If you still live in the Nottingham area, the same group hold regular reunions where you can chat to former residents of the old St Anns.

Hi, welcome

You don't say the year .

There was a Smith family living at 9 Lotus St. in 1901 . Nellie Smith is aged 3 . Father and Mother , Albert and Lucy Smith both lace workers . Two more children Ethel and Albert .

Looking on the news archives there was a "Mr.Smith" living at number 19 in 1929 .

In 1889 the house was up for rent at 5 shillings !

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for replying. Yes Mrs Eleanor smith was my great great nan and James smith was my great great grandfather. James passed away in 1948 and Eleanor (Nellie) passed away in 1950. They had a few children, violet Ann smith being my great nan. She had my nan Edith out of wedlock at the workhouse. Searching death records, violet died in map perky hospital in 1952 aged 44. My nan was raised by Nellie and James and never knew her mum so looks like she was put into the hospital for that reason or for reason mentally unknown. As far as I am aware they were a gypsy family and I know that having a child out of wedlock would not have been acceptable. I am a member of facebooks pre demolishion group but still waiting to jog someone's memory.

David, where about dos you see the newspaper archives for the house being up for sale? Thank you all again for your help

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if anyone lived, or is still in contact with anyone who lived on Lotus street, st anns and remember the smith family of 19.

Any information would be extremely valuable.

From what I hear, they were a gypsy family and nelly smith had the nickname nelson from a patch on her eye, not sure how true this is though

Hi,

Late again,used to know Leslie Smith lived on the right hand side going up from St Anns Well rd and her cousin i believe, Vic Smith he lived further up on the left did not think there was a Gypsy connection.Used to know the Barnaby sisters Eileen and Margret think they lived towards Hungerhill rd.