Meadows memories

There you go TBI,Spenny bridge,when you see it on a photo dint we grow up in a beautiful part of Nottingham

Nottingham%20004_zpsugq4lzny.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a memory I have of visiting my paternal grandparents down Wilford grove and later in the old house we had on Bathley street,there was always a pot of tea on the table with a wooly hat on,a tea

We certainly did, Rog. So much springs to mind. I have very few memories of my maternal grandad but what I have are from around there. We used to walk round the memorial gardens, I remember him once o

We lived on Bathley street near to Bunbury street,number 47 Bayford cottages (sounds nice dunnit) anyway when I were a kid of about 5-6 my uncle worked as a curator at Nottingham castle and as such wo

We certainly did, Rog. So much springs to mind. I have very few memories of my maternal grandad but what I have are from around there. We used to walk round the memorial gardens, I remember him once opening one of the bushes up and showing me a birds nest inside, the babies twittering away looking up with their beaks open, I was amazed. On those steps I sat with him, eating a bag of crisps with the little salt bag in. I couldn't have been more than three or four, he died when I was five.

• Upvote 7

There is a tear in my eyes reading your last post TBI,what a lovely memory to have of your Grandad,bless you

Rog

• Upvote 2

The year has to be about 1956/57 just before we moved to Wordsworth road Radford,I would be 5 years old or just a tad more,the usual stuff playing on the street or down the back yards of Bayford cottages,in them days it was quite common for women/Ladies to smoke cigarettes,now, when they had done with them they would throw them on the pavement to burn themselves out,to my innocent eyes that was a waste so,I would pick up the discarded cigarette end and start puffing on it to see what all the fuss was about,not bad I thought so I carried on with this practice,until that was the day a neighbour across the road grassed me up to me mam,she was not best pleased I can tell you,in a way the telling off and resulting good hiding (why it was called "Good" I'll never know,nowt good about getting a thrashing) worked in my favour so to speak,during the lecture and clout following every other word me mam said how"it was dirty and disgusting" to pick nub ends (dog ends,fag ends,cigarette butts etc) from that dirty woman,I didn't know what a dirty woman was unless she failed to wash regularly, I took that phrase to mean it would be ok then to pick up said nubs (fag ends) from women,or men,who weren't dirty so the practice of smoking others cast off's continued,obviously out of sight of me mam,the practice stopped when we moved to Radford,don't know why,perhaps I found other things to occupy myself with,(riding my trusty Raleigh Winkie maybe)

Rog

• Upvote 2

Seeing the Memorial Gardens mentioned on recent previous posts made me recall my school days down the Meadoows  (Mundella  1957 - 1962).

Monday mornings Gym 'lessons' .... First thing we had to do was the so called 'Cross country' run from the school past Trent Bridge school,

through the Memorial Gardens (we called them the 'Rock' Gardens) across the Suspension Bridge, turn right, running the gauntlet of the rival school pupils at Becket. carry on at side of theTrent to the old Great Central Railway Bridge at Wilford .... and return.

Ok if you were 'sporty' (as I was lucky enough to be) but as I rememberr only half a dozen of us actually completed the weekly course... some of the others only managed to reach the Memorial Gardens, hiding in the arches under the main gates until the rest of us returned and they tagged along.

Well they did this until the Sports master of the time (George Hunter)  caught them... They didn't do it again!!

• Upvote 1

Brilliant memory Malc,I used to call them the rock gardens too,I suppose when you get older and realise the significance of the place that you start calling them "Memorial Gardens",thanks for the memory jog

Rog

Nice pic. & memory Plantfit #122 but who & when did the steps & balustrade get pinched, my young son wouldn't come home until he'd walked along the top. Mid 50's?

9695_700%20W%20memorial2_zpsafagpnju.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'd think they must have been removed late '50s, albert. We'd all be playing round there from about 1960 and I've no recollection of them at all. Constructed originally as part of the war memorial I believe. Don't know the reason for their removal, they were very attractive, such a shame.

Looking at your picture Albert seems to jog my memory,the balustrades do ring a bell but way back in the mists of time,I was around that area in the 50's maybe thats where the old grey cells are picking it up from but can't be sure

Rog

When I've finshed my coffee I'm going to have a drive over to the Embankment and have a walk round,may take some photo's if I find owt interesting,I will try and park near the memorial gardens,be there about ten

Rog

Well We're back from our little memory trip to the Meadows,the rain had stopped when we got there so decided to have a walk round the memorial gardens,they seemed to have cleaned the place up a bit and the fountain in the middle of the ponds was working, we had a walk over the suspension bridge (Spenny) just for the experience (Mrs P had never been over it before) when we got to the top of the short ramp we saw loads of padlocks locked to the railings,on closer inspection all these locks had been engraved or written on with I can only assume loved ones names,loved ones lost ones,significant dates etc,what a lovely gesture,we are going back in a couple of weeks with our own padlocks and memories,here is a picture of the locks

P1050435_zpshltbpoiv.jpg

And one of the locks with someones names on

P1050434_zpsff93qbpn.jpg

There was some lovely messages attached to some of the locks remembering loved ones who are no longer with us,if you live nearby go and have a look,very though provoking

Rog

• Upvote 2

I went over the bridge about a year ago with my young Grandson he was

fascinated with the padlocks, couldn't get him away and it was blumin cold

up there. Didn't quite know what to make of them myself, hope they never

want to paint the bridge.

Yes Rog, the rock gardens do look a bit better these days, but nothing like when we were kids. We were there a few months ago, the fountains were going and some council workers were clearing the weed. There were actually some fish to be seen too.

Didn't know about the padlocks on spenny, reminds me of the Accadema bridge in Venice which used to be covered with them, all removed last time we were there.

• Upvote 1

There you go TBI,dint see any fish,there was a sign at the side of the little walls stating the water had been treated with sommat or other and was unfit for paddling,animals,or drinking so the fish perhaps could'nt survive in it

P1050442_zpsahfd4iuw.jpg

Dint we grow up in a lovely place?

Rog

• Upvote 2

This was the house where my paternal grandparents lived when I were a nipper,I think the shop was a co op back then,nothing to do with my grand parents,they lived above and at the back of the shop,round the back was a stable that my grandfather used as a woodworking shed,never saw a horse in there though,through the back door was the room we all sat in,there was a range type fire/heater/oven and there was always a pan of stew on the hot plate at the side of the oven,at the weekend chunks of meat were added to the pot and throughout the week just vegetables,it seemed to get thinner as the week went on,My Gran also had a dog,Sue who was a Border collie,lovely dog and she followed me everywhere,one day she took a fancy to the pan of stew on the hotplate and helped herself to the contents,all hell broke loose and she was banished to the old stable for ages,I used to sit with her,that is probably my earlies memory,I would be about 3 or 4 years old,

P1050430_zpsp1u5oaw3.jpg

Very sad to see the place so run down,my sister was born in that upstairs room over 60 years ago now,such fond memories of the place, forgot to add it's on the corner of Wilford Grove just down from the library

Rog

• Upvote 3

When we got to the embankment we were met with what can only be described as the local mafia,these guy's were in the mood for trouble so I took the picture from the safety of the pickup truck,it took them ages to move,they kept turning round and going back across the road,this was near the paddling pool,plenty of other geese both sides of the road but these were sticking to the center ground

P1050428_zpstpmhomad.jpg

When I were a kid all you could see down there was swans,and the odd pigeon,today must have been 200 of these and greylag geese

Rog

• Upvote 2

One for Jill,the library on Wilford grove,never been in it but the building itself always seemed to draw me to it,even today I had to get a picture of it,I will make a point of going in there next time I'm off work in the week

P1050431_zps4yoyskyg.jpg

Rog

#136 On Cliff Tons picture taken in the 1920s, if you look through all of the arches you can see many buildings with chimneys, but they must have been knocked down, as they are gone on #135 plantfits picture of the same location. Do you think it happened earlier, or a result of the demolitions in the 1960s?

• Upvote 1

Hi Carni,It looks like in the older picture the photographer was elevated,maybe on some steps or even a wall,most of the houses are still there,they back onto Loughborough road the A60,my photo is from the ground and my camera was on the level or slightly looking down so a wouldn't get owt behind the main building,I did notice comparing the two pictures that in the older one the footpaths are of crazy paving or similar but in the recent picture the walkways are limestone chippings to dust covered,could be the elf and safety brigade saw crazy paving as a trip hazard and that carries the possibility of a financial claim against the council,just a thought mind,good to see a comparison picture,is there any more Cliff?

Rog

• Upvote 1

#138, we call them Canadian geese, I think every golf course in Arizona has a gaggle of them, and they are not welcome, pretty as they are. Their poop is big and messy and a lot of it.

Know what you mean Katy,there was mess everywhere,along the footpaths and along the grass verges,pretty much a safe haven for them along there,apart from having to watch your back with the little sods it was quite a nice walk today,brought back a lot of memories

Rog

• Upvote 1

143.  You just beat me to it again, Katy.  I thought they looked like Canada Geese.  A lot of them have emigrated South here.  Southerners think they should all go back to Canada.  They seem to like it here though.  I didn't know they could be aggressive but I suppose it's natural if they think you are muscling in on their territory.

Them flippin' Canadian Geese hang around in gangs on the Canal Towpath waiting for me to pass on my bicycle. As I get close they stretch their necks and tongues out and hiss at me They are even more frightening to pass when they have Goslings with them. Our West Park is over run by them at times and the walk around the lake is like a mine field of pooparoopa!

• Upvote 3