Meadows memories

ayup out there, i,m an old meadow,s lad saying hello, i lived down meders from 1941- 1956,did my schooling at Trent Brige School, left easter 1955, got some good memories of them days,

left Nottingham 2006 now living in North Yorkshire, but my heart is still in Nottingham,

Dennis.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a memory I have of visiting my paternal grandparents down Wilford grove and later in the old house we had on Bathley street,there was always a pot of tea on the table with a wooly hat on,a tea

We certainly did, Rog. So much springs to mind. I have very few memories of my maternal grandad but what I have are from around there. We used to walk round the memorial gardens, I remember him once o

We lived on Bathley street near to Bunbury street,number 47 Bayford cottages (sounds nice dunnit) anyway when I were a kid of about 5-6 my uncle worked as a curator at Nottingham castle and as such wo

Hello everone, thanks for the wellcome,

I was born in Long Eaton ,March 1940, soon after, my family moved to 43 Woodward st ,Meadows, we were there untill c-1950

when we moved again to 102 Wilford Grove,faceing the libray.

did my schooling at infants around the corner from Mundeler school, untill i was seven, and then went on to Trent Bridge school,

Juniors untill i was seven, and then on to the senior boys untill i left in 1955.

as i am posting this from Northyorkshire, my heart is still in Nottinham.

all the best to you all,

Dennis.

ha-up Mick2me

you got me thinking when i was a young sprog, our chimney caught fire, in the back room were we sat down to eat,

Mother had just finished cooking ,and ready to plate up, when there were panic stations,, Dad was trying to put out the fire in the

grate,some one called the fire brigade, they didnt muck about, straight up the ladder, hose pipe down the chimney, you can

imagine what sort of mess we were in , took two days to clear up, never did get that lovely dinner.

Dennis.

• 2 years later...

a Charlesworth - I know, back then you got paid for the matches you played in only - he left and joined the army and rose to Sargeant, he fought in WWI posted in Ireland, afterwards became a Painter and Decorator................My hubby, his grandson wanted to be a footballer, but had to go into butchering with his father.....He played for Aspley Old Boys when he was young........He had friends who were crack footballer's but had to give it up because of the bad pay, you could not afford to get married on their pay...............How times have changed..........What was your grandad's name ?.....

George charlesworth played in defence in front of iremonger ,around1918 1920ish,is in notts county book,have you looked in that book for any reference to your husbands relative,my grandad swept the streets to earn enough to survive,perks rented a lovely propery on wilford grove which we went to share with my grandma after his death,I say it was lovely and big with a range but it had indoor passageway and it was very spooky,my eldest brother used to speak go the ghosts when he was drunk,grandad was often drunk a perk of football fans back then

a charlesworth - I doubt he will be in that book as he was born in1872 and played football on the early 1890's..............When he married in 1897, he lived on Bathley Street Meadows, I belieive it was a new housing area then.........His wife Gertrude ran the Launderette/Washhouse on Portland Street...........

Thats interesting portland baths and wash house were well used when we were kids they were run by the council but located on muskham st I think I cant remember a portland st I wonder if they were the same and

changed at some point,that has got to be one for detective clif ton.I would love to know,think grandad originally was born in bolsover.

• Upvote 1

a charlesworth - It may have been on Muskham Street, but it was called Portland Baths, all one building, I think.........It is only family inlaw hearsay to me as I came from Hucknall originally, I married into the Taylor/Mabbott family in 1970...................Grandad Mabbott was born on Orange Street, he was the youngest of 20 children, they lived in 2 houses.......The story goes that the woman next door also lived in 2 houses, she had 19 children and did not speak to great grandma Mabbott again because she had one child more than she did, she felt cheated..........20 KIDS !!! phoar - The whole of the meadows area must have been run by them..........Incidently, I only had one child...........

a charlesworth - perhaps your dad came from the family next door.....................I once knew a guy from my school called Tony Baker who lived on Orange Street and also a guy called David Nattress......... ..

• Upvote 2

Blondie I too only had one son,I wish I had more,such is life I would not swap my son or grandkids for anything though I was blessed in that

way ,I was lucky with all my family,I love every single one of them warts and all.

• Upvote 1

a charlesworth - I have been lucky too with my family too.......great lot.....................Did you know Tony Baker or David Nattrass?.........

• Upvote 2

The only bakers I recall lived on bruce grove,west indian family.

But blondie when you lived in the meadows everybody knew each other one way or another,thats why us meadows lot miss it so much,mick will

tell you I am sure he knows what I mean,him being a trent bridge meadows lad and a good few more on this site including dennis who I have got to know through this site,

• Upvote 1

a charlesworth - This was back in the 50s a very long time ago, we left school in 1961.......Tony was English with red hair...........

Thats interesting portland baths and wash house were well used when we were kids they were run by the council but located on muskham st I think I cant remember a portland st I wonder if they were the same and changed at some point,that has got to be one for detective clif ton.I would love to know.

Portland Baths and Muskham St are mentioned and described in this thread http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10662&hl

• Upvote 1

I walked (or rather hobbled) though the Meadows the other week - and the original doorway to the washhouse is still there with a plaque on it now. The the entrance to the baths is still there too!

Took me back still being able to get me bearings from a few remaining bits.

Gawd I miss the old Meadows.

• Upvote 3

The only bakers I recall lived on bruce grove,west indian family.

But blondie when you lived in the meadows everybody knew each other one way or another,thats why us meadows lot miss it so much,mick will

tell you I am sure he knows what I mean,him being a trent bridge meadows lad and a good few more on this site including dennis who I have got to know through this site,

Around 1965, we had a black lad in our class at Trent Bridge Seniors, called Noel Baker

• Upvote 1

Thats one of them mick,blondie I did not leave school till 1969 so he would have been a bit older than me,tgc glad its not just me that is missing the meddas,thanks cliff ton knew I could rely on you,more than can be said about getting your name right

annswabey --- WOW !!!! Well thanks, Never thought of looking there - They started their married life on Bathley Street, in 1897 and then onto Glossop Terrace - I knew that they went to Vernon Avenue in 1911 and afterwards were on Heathfield Estate............ Most of the family are now deceased, Winifred was my mother in law, she passed away in 1997 - Just me and hubby Malc who is 70 (who was a butcher with his father, Joe Taylor & Son in Cinderhill for many years and his sister Audrey aged 78 who is a dancing teaching with her daughters called the Audrey Bromage Dancing School in Chilwell) are still alive with their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren..............

Leslie's son John Mabbott owned Floor Maintenance Services Ltd (Industrial Cleaning) on Queens Drive up until his death in 2001.........

• Upvote 1