Meadows memories

I was born in The Meadows in 1950 and lived there very happily until my marriage in 1971. I have many wonderful memories of my childhood in The Medders. I was Shirley Green then and I went to Collygate Infants school, then onto Trent Bridge Juniors. Anyone else remember those years?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a memory I have of visiting my paternal grandparents down Wilford grove and later in the old house we had on Bathley street,there was always a pot of tea on the table with a wooly hat on,a tea

We certainly did, Rog. So much springs to mind. I have very few memories of my maternal grandad but what I have are from around there. We used to walk round the memorial gardens, I remember him once o

We lived on Bathley street near to Bunbury street,number 47 Bayford cottages (sounds nice dunnit) anyway when I were a kid of about 5-6 my uncle worked as a curator at Nottingham castle and as such wo

Hello Shirley, Welcome to Nottstalgia. You are in good company, there are quite a few people on here who lived in the Meadows during those years. I am sure you will find some interesting information to revive your memories. :)

Welcome to the site Shirl. I also went to Collygate and Trent Bridge, a few years after you. I also remember Miss Cheeseman and Miss Slack, although I was fortunate not to have dealings with ' Slackbag ' as she was more commonly known behind her back. Look forward to hearing some of your memories. :)

• 4 months later...

I'll bet they used terms like,.....'well blow me'.........'oh you are'nt very good are you'...........and ..........'crikey that was rubbish' you 'bounder'

I bet they did......

I'll bet they used terms like,.....'well blow me'.........'oh you are'nt very good are you'...........and ..........'crikey that was rubbish' you 'bounder'

I remember saying one of those things once..... I just got a bat round the tab. Actually, I've heard the others on occasion too...LOL!

• 1 year later...

We lived on Bathley street near to Bunbury street,number 47 Bayford cottages (sounds nice dunnit) anyway when I were a kid of about 5-6 my uncle worked as a curator at Nottingham castle and as such wore a uniform,one of my earliest memories of my time down the meadows was wearing his uniform hat,a nice shiny peaked affair with a thin black leather band around it,I remember standing at the cross roads junction between Bathley st and Bunbury st pretending to direct the traffic,not much around in them days (mid 1950's) I also remember watching the "trackless's" (trolley buses) going in the sheds on Bunbury st and of being quite frightened about the depth of the garage pits that the trackless's drove over.another thing thats sticks in my mind was a young family who lived in the next lot of cottages/terraces going towards Arkwright street,the dad of the family had a tandem cycle with a small side car that he took the family out on at the weekends,funny the things that come to mind when you are rambling.

anyway just a few thoughts I would pass on that was part of my early memories

Rog

• Upvote 5

Another memory springs to mind,the same uncle coming to our house every other Saturday to leave his bicycle to go to the Forest match which is only over Trent bridge,tied on the back of his bike was a football rattle and a small stool that he took to the match to stand on to enable him to get a better view of the game,(would be classed as offensive weapons these days)could never understand why all these men took stools to stand on when they would all still be the same height,anyway I didn't mind because he always bought me a bag of sweets

Rog

• Upvote 1

I had a mate on Bathley St, Bayford Cottages was first one up opposite corner to the paper shop? There used to be an air-raid shelter down the backs, might have been Bathley Terrace. I was very near to you, Rog, on Pyatt St.  

• Upvote 1

I have a very vague memory of "tanks" going down Wilford Road near the Trolley Bus Terminus, either travelling to or from the gun factory....?

Anyone else remember this?

• Upvote 1

Smiffy, I too have vague memories of seeing tanks leaving the ROF.  Probably to Midland Station for onward transport?   

The railways were used for so much years ago. I think it's been mentioned on here before but I remember standing at the top of Queens Drive and watching the circus arrive in town, at the Midland Station, elephants walking along holding each others tails with their trunks.  Suppose they were walked all the way up to The Forest? 

• Upvote 2

I can't remember seeing tanks on the road but there were tank track indentations on Kings Meadows rd. Maybe made when out on test or for a special occasion. Transporting the tanks would have been from the ROF's own rail spur.

• Upvote 1

Would tanks have gone by road from King's Meadow to the Chilwell depot ?     I can remember seeing them on the road in the Beeston / Chilwell area when the depot was still operating - including the days when the road went on a viaduct over the depot.

Just remembered - tanks being driven onto low loader lorries inside the North shop main entrance. Nearly all the tanks I saw were in desert sand camo. No new tanks. Kicked off a hell of a row and fumes inside the shop. Tanks were only in evidence for about two of my 7 years there.

I lived on Kings meadows road in the early 70s, I can remember tanks travelling on the road, it was only 1 or 2 at a time, never took much notice at the time.

The thing I remember about the gun factory was the sheer amount of people that seemed to work there, all passing the house every day.

The history of the ROF in the Meadows would make a great book (maybe someone has already done one. I've just read Bombs to Butterflies all about the depot at Ruddington. Interesting reading!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Funny you should mention Bombs to Butterflies,There is another book about Ruddington and it's history/characters,there is a section about some concrete block houses that were on the depot,these had to be demolished to make way for the restoration of the site to a country park,anyroadup,the powers that be tried just about everything to demolish these blockhouses all to no avail,(solid ferro concrete)they called in a mate of mine who was an explosives expert,he placed some charges in and around these building,the blockhouses were duly demolished,however about two minutes after the charges went off he recieved a phone call or message from the ministry of defence ordering him not to use any form of explosives on that land because the main pressurised fuel pipeline to all the Lincolnshire airfields and other military instalations and they were a bit twitched in case the pipeline got fractured,fortunately it didn't and Keith never let on that they were too late in their warning,if you have a copy of the book there is a picture of Keith walking past these blockhouses just before the big bang,useless info I know but it is nostagic

Rog

• Upvote 1

I might have mentioned this before but I consider myself old enough to be excused for my poor memory,anyroadup,There used to be a grocery shop on the corner of Muskham st and Bubury st I think it was,you know the old fashioned type of shop,bare wooden floorboards,smelling of paraffin and stuff, that kept loose biscuits in them square tins set at an angle on the floor in front of the counter,old set of scales on the counter together with a bacon slicer,well as kids we soon learned that the fire lighters and sticks were kept in the back of the shop through a curtain covered doorway away from the food stuffs,on this particular occasion I was feeling particularly reckless/brave whatever you want to call it and asked the lady for some firelighters for me Granny,lady duly obliged and went in the back of the shop to get them,while she was away (not very long) I filled my pockets with them pink wafer biscuits,chocolate digestives and garybaldi's,on her return with my grannies fire lighter she said "Shall I put those biscuits on your Grannies bill as well young Roger?" never got away with owt when I were a kid,still all part of growing up I suppose

Rog

• Upvote 2

Sounds about right Den,long time ago now,If I remember right they sold everything for the weekly shop (before supermarkets) another shop springs to mind was the papershop at the corner of Bathley st and Bubury st(across the road from where we lived),same type of bare wooden floorboards and that same smell of paraffin or it could have been a type of wood preserver for the floor or even woodworm killer,funny how memories come back about insignificant things,I'll have a think see if owt else comeback to me,people say to me I should put these memories down on paper for the future but int that what we are doing on sites like this?

Rog