Meadows memories

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a memory I have of visiting my paternal grandparents down Wilford grove and later in the old house we had on Bathley street,there was always a pot of tea on the table with a wooly hat on,a tea

We certainly did, Rog. So much springs to mind. I have very few memories of my maternal grandad but what I have are from around there. We used to walk round the memorial gardens, I remember him once o

We lived on Bathley street near to Bunbury street,number 47 Bayford cottages (sounds nice dunnit) anyway when I were a kid of about 5-6 my uncle worked as a curator at Nottingham castle and as such wo

#172. My paternal gran had a raised garden, that you had to climb half a dozen steps to reach, across the front of this was a concrete wall about 5/6 ft in height. right opposite the back door about half way up the wall was one of the meat cupboards? it had the mesh door and was embedded in the earth, the cupboard itself must have been  made of some kind of metal and sealed very well to keep the nasties out. The milk and butter was always cold, no matter how warm the weather was.

• Upvote 3

Thats right Katy,best butter usually meant 'Tub'........Echo marg. the real poor had (almost Lard) next step up was Stork then top of the range was 'Blue Band and Summer county'............

• Upvote 1

If I remember right the kids that bought cold toast to school for their break had Stork on it,the reason I know this is because if it was butter the butter would melt through the toast where Stork would stay on top where it was spread a bit too thick,useless info I know but info non the less

Rog

• Upvote 3

Just after the war, I remember seeing my mum mix the butter with a little milk which made it go further.  I thought that was what you were supposed to do...

I'm told that during the rationing of WW2, some people used liquid paraffin to make pastry when any other form of shortening was unavailable!

We had an old wartime Be-Ro cook book on the bottom shelf of the pantry when I was little with recipes for mock cream and fatless biscuits. Some of the substitute ingredients beggared belief! Yet people survived.

plantfit #165 So many memories in that one post I could have been in my Gran's kitchen too.

A few other things that I remember. The thick stone shelf in the pantry where you put the butter, marg, milk, cheese etc to keep them cool. The metal mesh meat safe that on hot days she would put a damp towel over to keep the meat cool, the fine mesh kept the flies and other creepy crawlies out too. Above all my Grandad used to keep the brown teapot with a cream circular line round the middle on the hob to keep it warm. It was so "stewed" at the end of the day that the spoon would stand up on its own.

Also nothing from the kitchen went to waste, bones were used to make stock, then along with vegetable scraps were fed to the chooks or pigs. We never went without fresh vegetables, seasonal of course, grown in the garden or the allotment. I have to admit that apples and pears were most often scrumped from local orchards.

• 2 years later...

Do any of you older Meadownians know of a Frank Fairholme . He lived around the corner of Cremorne Street onto Kirke White Street area. He emigrated to Australia about 1964.

He worked at John Jardine's on Deering Street.

Any news of him would be welcome.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/25/2014 at 7:40 PM, annswabey said:

On the 1901 census, John and Gertrude Mabbott, with son Leslie, aged 1, were living at 1 Glossop Terrace in the Meadows, and in 1911, with the addition of daughter Winnifred, they were at 83 Vernon Avenue

These were my hubbys family….Winifred was my motherinlaw….

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I spent 6 months in the meadows - 1972. My mum had three of us nippers - and my aunty - who had 4 of her own - lived in her terraced house opposite Clifton Miners Welfare for 1 month while my mum waited for her own house. Imagine that - 7 children and 2 adults in a house that size. I honestly cant or dont want to recall the sleeping arrangements. There were 3 girls and 4 boys. Will get some memories together and post them soon.