Meadows memories

Blondie... FMS would that be Floor Maintenance Services by any chance ? If so I used to buy all the cleaning products from there for the company I was working for at the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a memory I have of visiting my paternal grandparents down Wilford grove and later in the old house we had on Bathley street,there was always a pot of tea on the table with a wooly hat on,a tea

We certainly did, Rog. So much springs to mind. I have very few memories of my maternal grandad but what I have are from around there. We used to walk round the memorial gardens, I remember him once o

We lived on Bathley street near to Bunbury street,number 47 Bayford cottages (sounds nice dunnit) anyway when I were a kid of about 5-6 my uncle worked as a curator at Nottingham castle and as such wo

Dave48 -- Yes it was ...........I worked there for a time 1972/74, owned by John Mabbott, he was my hubby's cousin.......

Were "Notts County Rovers" anything to do with Notts County ???

Did a newspaper search for Mabbott and Notts County and this Notts County Rovers keeps coming up .

Here's part of a report from 1892 in which N. County Rovers beat Grantham 16-0 in the short lived Midland Alliance League !!

J.Mabbott scored a number of times as did a C. Mabbott ..

15259658173_90c5c4f994_o.jpg

• Upvote 4

I have found a reference which indicates that league included some reserve sides, and while I don't know for sure, Lincoln City Swifts in that league may have been Lincoln City's reserve side.

So Notts County Rovers may have been Notts County's reserves. Anyone know?

Well confusingly there was a team playing in the Notts League called Nott's County Reserve (without the last "s").

This is in a few reports between 1887 and 1895 . So who knows !

Were "Notts County Rovers" anything to do with Notts County ???

Did a newspaper search for Mabbott and Notts County and this Notts County Rovers keeps coming up .

Here's part of a report from 1892 in which N. County Rovers beat Grantham 16-0 in the short lived Midland Alliance League !!

J.Mabbott scored a number of times as did a C. Mabbott ..

15259658173_90c5c4f994_o.jpg

Thats fascinating David,ive always been interested in local football and its history and never heard of this,certainly looks like it could have been some of the reserve sides,names like Strollers and Swifts,which Rugby teams use nowadays must have been an inovation back then,
  • Upvote 1

DAVIDW, another successful trawl of your archives, it seems that the Mabbot family were well represented in the team. I like the thought that the spectators were free with their sarcasm of the visiting team who seemed unable to kick the ball!!! Wonder if the jeers were less abusive than would be heard today?

I'll bet they used terms like,.....'well blow me'.........'oh you are'nt very good are you'...........and ..........'crikey that was rubbish' you 'bounder'

• Upvote 2

Actually Benjamin I bet the language was fairly rough . I have been trying to find some dialect speech for our teams but could only find some terrace dialect for a certain ("ahem") neighbouring team when they played Manchester City in the 1930s .

Now somethings happened to the reply toolbar (it's all greyed out ) and I can't embed it but heres a part article with some of the dialect on this link

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7554/15883757921_f42ce3b719_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ann ,roy charlesworth roughly born approx 1926 ,his father was a footballer,he had medals for swimming for his county and was known to swim up the trent with his dog on his back as a young man

Roy charlesworth born hayes cottages,orange st the meadows nottingham,

His father george charlesworth born langwith derbyshire,his mother

Elizibeth charlesworth nee abbiss born blackwell.Ann this information

From eldest brother.

For anyone wanting information on ancestors, family, anyone for that matter, the following excellent site is very comprehensive up to about 1970. Just enter the details into the search boxes for data on Births, Deaths and Marriages. You do have to pay if you want copies of documents, otherwise completely free.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

• Upvote 1