There has been pevious discussion about Fowler's Pond somewhere in the annals but I don't remember where. The pond itself disappeared years ago like many other things enjoyed by we kids in the 50s.

• Upvote 1

Do you mean the Fowler's Pond at the junction of Cinderhill Rd and Nuthall Rd? I do believe it was on the property of Basford Miners Welfare, I fished it as a kid, as did all the kids on Bells Lane Estate.

• Upvote 1

The Bells Lane island nowadays is huge compared to the original one. The trees in the middle of today's island were next to Fowler's Pond, I do believe.

My late mate, Rob237 reckoned he lost his virginity near there. If anybody knows what happened to it, then let me know, and I'll tell him when I get up there in the future. LOL

• Upvote 3

At least Gateway have retained a water feature 'poohbear' but don't think they'll let you fish for tiddlers in it though,ive seen the odd drunk fall in,when we were doing the 'Door-work' there.lol'

• Upvote 1

Interesting to see Brickyard Square opposite the pond. This was Holden Square in my childhood, I thought for pit workers at Cinderhill/Babbington pits. What year are the maps Cliff Ton?

I've got a feeling that there was a shop on the Sherborne Rd end of Broxtowe Lane named 'Fowler's'. Newsagent + sweets I think. As kids we thought the pond had something to do with the shop but perhaps my memory is playing tricks.