First day of Spring

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found a bumble bee on my garden path when I came home from a bike ride on Monday, poor thing hardly moving so I went in the house and put a drop of honey on a tea spoon, went to where the bee was an

The poor bumble bee I was talking about was on my path in cold weather, it was struggling to move because he had no or very little energy after emerging from it's hole in the ground where it had proba

Shooting or harming wild birds is illegal, even pigeons and seagulls, unless you can meet certain conditions...

We've had "sticky buds" on the horse chestnut tree since middle of October,perhaps we are going to skip winter this year and fast forward to spring,by the way the wood pigeons are still trying it on with each other at the moment

Rog

• Upvote 1

I've still got climbing roses in bloom due to constant deadheading.

• 2 months later...

Just been pottering in the garden and have seen a ladybird on the patio.

I'm sure this is the earliest I've seen one.

I hope springs a bit warmer than last years spring, we had several late frosts last spring, killed my plum tree, and severely knocked my peach trees back. I was so late getting the veggie garden that just didn't bother with a lot of veggies.

Snow drops are out, mowed the lawn, first cut of the season, it's just lovely outdoors today. Tried to photograph a Green Woodpecker on one of my trees but time I zoomed in, it was off. Feel like taking the dog for a long walk but unfortunately l am ready for my power nap.

You'd need a jack hammer with my soil Basfordred!!

• 4 weeks later...

Morrisons have opened their Gardening section this week,...........had some real nice stuff from em last few years and cheap as well.this year in new house with a blank canvass to play with,so i'll be paying them a few visits,so i'm in for a busy time,my new shed will be up by the weekend (curtesy of son in law).

Well after one more Sunshine winter/spring break anyway,lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Still awaiting the first day of spring. It was snowing yesterday!

Got two weeks no work,so start work on me new Garden tomorrow in ERNEST......................wish it was in NOTTS.

• 3 years later...

We have thousands of Daffs on this land, many around what used to be the old house site, you can pick out where the paths had been. Many, probably started from seed spread by birds as far away as my south field 1/4 of a mile away. They usually start sprouting around mid Feb to late March, depending one whether we have had a hard winter or average winter. I'll take a look when I go feed my chooks to see if any are sprouting early, as it's been a very average winter so far.

I was puzzled how they spread so far away, I thought maybe moles, but doing some researching, found they can propagate from seed, but take a couple of years before they flower, that would explain a lot, as some clumps only produce the shoots for a couple of years then follow up with masses of flowers in later years.

Just back, I saw some Daffs sprouting around my Mulberry trees, also flags have a few inches of growth on them and the Honeysuckle hasn't died off this year.

• 1 year later...

One of our neighbours has had daffodils out in bloom since the begining of the third week in January. Even out before snowdrops. Weird!!

I reckon that we should drop leap year and get the seasons back as they should be. Mr clever clogs who invented 'leap year' might have been wrong. If you think about it, over a period of 120years, we could technically moved a month out of sync with the seasons!!