First day of Spring

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found a bumble bee on my garden path when I came home from a bike ride on Monday, poor thing hardly moving so I went in the house and put a drop of honey on a tea spoon, went to where the bee was an

The poor bumble bee I was talking about was on my path in cold weather, it was struggling to move because he had no or very little energy after emerging from it's hole in the ground where it had proba

Shooting or harming wild birds is illegal, even pigeons and seagulls, unless you can meet certain conditions...

Daff's are pretty hardy, they usually sprout around early to mid February here and flower end of Feb into March, springs just about five weeks off.

That's something we've noticed Margie, since being down here, even in the depths of winter we always seem to be a couple of degrees or so, higher than the Midlands.

• 2 months later...

Bet none of you will have daffs in late May or early June. Not kidding I bought a lot of bulbs but only planted them in tubs a short while ago. The daffs are a couple of inches high with one of them on closer inspection has a bud coming through.Other bulbs are just beginning to break through the soil.Never mind they will all be moved for next year.

Hi Nonna my daffs are even through yet may be 3 or 4 weeks yet still going down to minus 15 at night but slowly warming up during the day i put yard furniture out today hoping for warmer temps, i can not understand why daffs survive minus 45 below hope everything is ok there take care be careful.

• Like 1

All my daffodils are finished now.  They were early coming through, though, as were most of the flowers in my garden.   

Yes Margie, they've filled out even more now in this warm weather. The scent is Devine, as well as the colours.

We've had them for years, Tina saves the seed pods and sprinkles them around the other pots. B.x

• Like 1

A few years ago I dug all the plants out of the garden at the side of the fence and laid fabric down and covered it all in pebbles. This was because it was too much for me to look after, I must have left a few tulips in as they have pushed though the fabric and have multiplied each year.

tulips.jpg

Ian everything is fine here, just a bit bored and fed up but we're coping.We are going a fortnight at a time in the hope that things will,get better. The curve is decreasing so it's encouraging. Even in Lombardia the curve is decreasing so good news there.

Hows the situation where you are?

Hi Nonna my daffs are even through yet may be 3 or 4 weeks yet still going down to minus 15 at night but slowly warming up during the day i put yard furniture out today hoping for warmer temps, i can not understand why daffs survive minus 45 below hope everything is ok there take care be careful.

We are ok here there are 285 cases in Saskatchewan as of yesterday most places are closed  except essential services i am still working but many people are working from home schools are closed but the children are being taught on line.Yes it does get boring but if staying home helps defeat this vile desease so be it i was born just after ww2 and grew up with rationing and very little money so to put up with a few hardships and stay healthy is a small price to pay i hope better times are just around the corner so hang in there glad spring is almost here and can get out and enjoy the back yard so again take care be careful everyone Ian Jill.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

A few days ago we had some really beautiful sunny weather. Yesterday it got windy and turned very cold . It looks like it's going to be cold for a while yet then turning warmer.

Outside we have taken up all the grass, the dogs have ruined it anyway. ( we did say at the beginning that would be the case). A week after it was put down my husband said he wanted to dig it all up and place it with autobloccanti. Well we did it the other day and waited for them to deliver the paving blocks. All laid down leaving 3 x 1 m squares  for a palm tree , a fig tree,  an acer  (larger than the 2 we had last year, one died and the other looks a bit weak.) and a long piece near the wall for some sort of screening. It all looks nice but we need a few pots here and there to take the starkness away. It will be a non working garden . The blocks were miscalculated ( by the tiler) and now we have 3/4 pallet left. The firm won't take half pallets back.We were think of making a bench with them  to use some but any other ideas are welcome.

How about using the excess for building a bbq or pizza oven. Just a suggestion. Does this mean I've got to change me picture on me little planter? Happy Building Nonna. :-)

Just like the weather here in Regina nonna on Friday it was 22 degrees today it is around the freezing mark very strong and cold winds with a possibility of snow at least i got the yard furniture out on Friday its no wonder the daffodils dont flower until the end of May.

• Upvote 1

BK no the view is still the same. We already have BBQ. The blocks have been moved to the side and is in the process of becoming a bench.

Good ho ! So I can put me paints away again. I'll wait until you've finished your bench then I'll put one on. X

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Here's an interesting tip I found online.  My Tomatoes are producing flowers..but not many are setting fruit.  I investigated and it seems that Tomato flowers are self pollinating, but can fail to do so for 'mechanical' reasons..because the pollen can be prevented from moving due to growing conditions.

It seems that Bees can help the process simply by buzzing about near the flowers..when the vibration of their wings can cause the pollen to move.

Or... you can use an electric toothbrush..held to the flower stem.  I've just tried it and it has caused some pollen to drop out of the flowers..so it is clearly being made to move.

If you don't have an electric toothbrush..I suppose that some other device which vibrates might do..  but that's your business..;) 

• Like 1

Or you can use a tiny soft paint brush to transfer pollen from one flower to another?