Cliff Ton

First day of Spring

We've had "sticky buds" on the horse chestnut tree since middle of October,perhaps we are going to skip winter this year and fast forward to spring,by the way the wood pigeons are still trying it on with each other at the moment

Rog

• Upvote 1

I think your right Cliff Ton. Saw your post so went out to have a look,

they are at least an inch high. Hope they are ok when we have frost.

Only another 22 days to go and the days will start to get longer !

• Upvote 1

I've still got climbing roses in bloom due to constant deadheading.

Bluebells are poking their noses through up here in Caithness too.

Just been pottering in the garden and have seen a ladybird on the patio.

I'm sure this is the earliest I've seen one.

I hope springs a bit warmer than last years spring, we had several late frosts last spring, killed my plum tree, and severely knocked my peach trees back. I was so late getting the veggie garden that just didn't bother with a lot of veggies.

Snow drops are out, mowed the lawn, first cut of the season, it's just lovely outdoors today. Tried to photograph a Green Woodpecker on one of my trees but time I zoomed in, it was off. Feel like taking the dog for a long walk but unfortunately l am ready for my power nap.

You'd need a jack hammer with my soil Basfordred!!

Morrisons have opened their Gardening section this week,...........had some real nice stuff from em last few years and cheap as well.this year in new house with a blank canvass to play with,so i'll be paying them a few visits,so i'm in for a busy time,my new shed will be up by the weekend (curtesy of son in law).

Well after one more Sunshine winter/spring break anyway,lol.

Still awaiting the first day of spring. It was snowing yesterday!

Got two weeks no work,so start work on me new Garden tomorrow in ERNEST......................wish it was in NOTTS.

Here's a thought. The nights start drawing in the month after next.

What do they draw? Stars?

No sign of spring up here yet.  Should be along around mid to late April though.

We have thousands of Daffs on this land, many around what used to be the old house site, you can pick out where the paths had been. Many, probably started from seed spread by birds as far away as my south field 1/4 of a mile away. They usually start sprouting around mid Feb to late March, depending one whether we have had a hard winter or average winter. I'll take a look when I go feed my chooks to see if any are sprouting early, as it's been a very average winter so far.

I was puzzled how they spread so far away, I thought maybe moles, but doing some researching, found they can propagate from seed, but take a couple of years before they flower, that would explain a lot, as some clumps only produce the shoots for a couple of years then follow up with masses of flowers in later years.

Just back, I saw some Daffs sprouting around my Mulberry trees, also flags have a few inches of growth on them and the Honeysuckle hasn't died off this year.