Wot appn'd to all them cobbles?

Just about every street was cobbled up until the 50's. Even main roads. I remember Carlton hill being cobbled because I fell off my bike a few times when braking in the wet. Must have been countless millions of cobbles. I assume that a lot just got buried under tarmac but what happened to the rest?

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back to cobbles; this appeared recently elsewhere. Marple Street in St Ann's with a great surface to ride a bike on.

I'm glad the streets on Clifton weren't like this when I was a kid on a bike.

Ilkeston Road Radford

Remember going with my dad, who was a builder, to get loads of "granite sets"otherwise known as cobble stones. From somewhere near where the big incinerator was built near canal street.

Feel sure it was after St Annes was demolished, he also used to buy old sandstone flagstones used on old pavements, to use as feature walls or fireplaces in barn conversions he was working on at the time.

My mums old bungalow still had a large sandstone strip fireplace dad built, albeit upgraded with a cannon gas fire, when we sold it in 2005.

#1 are you confusing Carlton Hill with Carlton Road?

Carlton road ends & Carlton Hill begins at the city/Gedling boundry somewhere near Brentcliffe Avenue.

I can't remember Carlton Hill ever being cobbled but Carlton Road up to Porchester Road?

In Bulwell, Broomhill Road, Henrietta Street & the surrounding roads the cobbles were just covered over with tarmac. The gas lights were also replaced by Electric.

#1 are you confusing Carlton Hill with Carlton Road?

Carlton road ends & Carlton Hill begins at the city/Gedling boundry somewhere near Brentcliffe Avenue.

I can't remember Carlton Hill ever being cobbled but Carlton Road up to Porchester Road?

No. Although my memory from the early 50's may be on the blink. Coming down Carlton Hill approaching Cardale Rd I seem to remember that it was cobbled. We need a 50's picture. As a teenager I lived on Park Rd Carlton and cycled to work over Carlton Hill some days as a change from the Netherfield/Colwick Vale route.

My Great Grandma lived opposite on 'Kemps Cottages' which was obviously all Cobbled when i used to visit in the 50s.

I remember early 60s most of the Street in Radford Independence Street etc were cobbled?

Were there different types of cobbles, some more rounded on the top than others?

And, where did they all come from?

They originally came from ships ballast during the "tall sail" days, but I doubt all streets were paved with ships ballast well into the 20th century.

A ship sailing empty would have to have ballast to prevent it capsizing in heavy seas, so they had cobbles made, they could sell them at the next port, where they ended up as street paving.

• Upvote 1

#17 I realise that but when looking at streetview the Cardale Rd traffic lights reminded me why I had to put the brakes on. On one occasion I was badly bruised and split my trousers just there, when on the way to work and no time to return home. I can now remember that moment and I'm sure it was cobbled. I slid down the wet cobbles quite a way. Came off a few times at the bottom of Peveril St too.

Looking at a photo of Main Street Carlton it appears that just the gutter was cobbled to three cobbles deep.

Cardale Road junctions with Carlton Road(NOT HILL)

It continues to be Carlton Road till the junction with Dale View Road(R/H Side going out of the City) whence it becomes Carlton Hill.

The house Numbers will confirm this numbers up to city boundary & down fron there on in

Carlton Hill is numbered from P.O. Square.

2 nuns cycling down a cobbled street...
One says to the other, "I've never come this way before"..
The other replies.. "Must be the cobbles".

• Upvote 2