Wot appn'd to all them cobbles?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back to cobbles; this appeared recently elsewhere. Marple Street in St Ann's with a great surface to ride a bike on.

I'm glad the streets on Clifton weren't like this when I was a kid on a bike.

Ilkeston Road Radford

The broad junction of Villa Road with Mansfield Road had a superb set of cobbles arranged in a fan pattern - non of which had been dug up by the gas electric or water people. The Council covered it in Tarmac in the mid 1960s - but it is probably preserved under that layer

Good heavens Cliff ton, I had no idea it was so close to the place I was talking about the other day. Presumably, when my mother was taking me to the Nottingham Theatre club or the little theatre as we called it, the house where my grandfather was born was still standing.

It was not until a few years later that I first saw his birth certificate and discovered that he had been born at 19 Alison Rise!

Scousers often say 'Jigger', but over the years on my travels I've heard 'Ginnel', 'Alley', 'Snicket', 'Entry' 'Twitchel' etc.

There was a small Cul De Sac in the street where Mrs Col was brought up in Liverpool. They all called it the 'Cooey'. Obviously a 'diminution. Scousers are good at that. Kirkby Town Centre is called 'The Towny', for E.g. In my last job I was always meeting new people and introduced myself as Colin B*********. They would instantly start calling me 'Col'. Think if I'd introduced myself as Col they'd have called me C.

This is one of only two remaining cobbled 'Alleys' in our village. there used to be lots more and even with this one, when it gets a bit rough, the council patch it with tarmac rather than properly reinstating the cobbles. The shot isn't meant to show the cobbles as such and was an entry into a little photo competition on the theme 'Night'

21134090260_76516e9fae_k.jpgnightcobbles31.10.08 002

C

• Upvote 4

Col would you remember (being prob. the only other on here who grew up near me) the only Jitty i remember being so called ?

You've got me thinking there Benjamin!

Are we talking within the confines of Bestwood Estate?

Col

We say Jitty, and Alley as well benjamin.I don't know if there is a difference, but both are used for the same thing, it's just a matter of which one comes out at the time?

I'm inclined to think that in general, a 'snicket', 'entry', 'ginnel', or 'jitty', would be simply a narrow walkway between buildings, or even open spaces/fields, but contained by fences/hedges etc. Whereas an 'Alley' is generally a bit wider and may have access to properties both sides. What I think I mean is that people may live in an 'Alley', but not a 'Ginnel' etc.

Or summat... :)

OUTSIDE Col...............but only just............

Hmmm. This is all about what people called things over 50 years ago! Possible contenders:

Marble Arch.

Railway Crossing from Southglade Road to Hucknall Rd.

Path to 'Ha'penny Bridge via Paton Road.

Maybe something around the Whipple/Padstow/Pavement complex.

Southglade to Stevenholme before Eastglade was built?

Gainsford to Carnwood. (A very misty memory that)..

Col

• Upvote 1

The only Jitty i remember being called that in Nottingham was between Orville rd/Paton road down to Park Lane,it was a cutting between allotments back in the 50s and 60s,over what we called halfpenny bridge,..........and was the route for the family down to the 'Standard of England' pub,

EDIT..............you got it col............

• Upvote 1

Oh!! Hang on! There was also a little entry off Gainsford down to the Estate Maintenance yard. And also one off Hove Rd into a small plot of alottments which were never really used and later got paved over and turned into lock up garages.

Col

No! It was Raymede. This looks like the remains of it.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Nottingham+City+Council/@52.9953215,-1.1693511,3a,60.6y,196.84h,83.73t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s2sQQdVwhPrwxmfZl97b9eQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D2sQQdVwhPrwxmfZl97b9eQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D228.00639%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x4879c1b2f9faa8df:0xc07c8444b931084b!2sBestwood+Estate+Community+Centre!3b1!8m2!3d52.99468!4d-1.1647442!3m4!1s0x0:0x28bf55aea124456d!8m2!3d52.9948417!4d-1.1662513!6m1!1e1

I recall as a child in the 1950s we had some sort of problem such as a broken latch or something. My Mum sent me down to that little yard with a note. There was a chap sitting outside a shed/workshop on the left and he was sharpening the bit from and old fashioned 'Brace and Bit', using a small hand file. Someone came round the same day and fixed the problem. Them wer't days! :)

• Upvote 1

#88...........seee edit col, you got it............and the lock up garages were/are on Eardley.............lol.

Absolutely right Benj. It was Eardley. It's an age thing....

Col

Nice pic RR..........Waistcoats,Trillby hats,Mucky knees,...............when did you take it ?

I still call the Paton Rd to Gayhurst and Park Lane a jitty.

I think its only in England that all these names can describe similar way fares. I miss that.

Jitties, or whatever you like to call them, have not gone out of fashion. There are many inter-connecting the different roads on Rise Park; and useful they are too.

Well personally, I like twitchell best, it sounds more rural.

The steep path that led up from the end of St Andrews Road and Thorncliffe Road up to the gates of the old Children's Hospital at the bottom of Chestnut Grove was always known as a twitchel

'Wot 'appn'd to all them cobbles"?

We bought hundreds from a London Borough to use as edging to a long (approx 100 yds) tarmac driveway we had at a previous house and they looked great.