When I got married at twenty, an old bag of a neighbour told my mam she'd give us about six months. Me and the missus have just recently celebrated forty happy years together.

I'm sure there are members here who have lots more years in the bag. Not meant as a challenge, but how long have you been hitched to your significant other.

• Upvote 6
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Met my good lady in 1963, she was 13 going on 14, I was 15 just. We went out for a while then I moved with mates doing exciting things like hitching round Europe and other silly things. I often met my

Here goes! All my secrets for the World to see. We met in August 1964. I was 16, Chris 18. A Holiday Romance at 'Good Old Skeggy'. We courted for 2.5 years and had a 'Shot Gun Wedding' at Gedling Chu

When I got married at twenty, an old bag of a neighbour told my mam she'd give us about six months. Me and the missus have just recently celebrated forty happy years together. I'm sure there are

Here goes! All my secrets for the World to see.

We met in August 1964. I was 16, Chris 18. A Holiday Romance at 'Good Old Skeggy'. We courted for 2.5 years and had a 'Shot Gun Wedding' at Gedling Chuch on Boxing Day 1966. We know what every one thought and one Man said to us " I'll give you 2yrs" I gave up my life in Gedling and moved to W-ton. We have been married 48yrs on Boxing Day. So I have one thing to say to that Man and anyone else who doubted us. :yahoo:

• Upvote 9

Shot gun weddings were very popular in the 60s were'nt they 'CARNIE' some worked some dint,mine dint.

• Upvote 1

We met on August Bank Holiday1969 and got engaged 4 weeks later on my 24th birthday 30th September, married Valentine's Day1970..................... I wore white velvet, it snowed and we honeymooned in Majorca..........Everyone says it would not last and a we had a few bar stewards try to come between us over the years, without success...............We had our daughter January 1978 and now have 2 lovelly grandchildren............Still together, still happy.............

• Upvote 6

Free Agent 1968-1972 :)

In relationship 1972-1975

Got married 1975

separated 1978

Divorced 1980

Free agent 1980-1990 :)

in relationship 1990-1995

Free Agent 1995-1996

Bagged 1996

Partnered' 1996-present

The End

Marriage is great, everyone should try it once.

• Upvote 5

First marriage lasted 9 years, it ended when I want home a day early after being sent on a course, I arrived home early in the morning, and made my wife a pot of tea and took it upstairs, I found her in bed with another man, I said nothing, all I did was pour the hot tea over his genitalia and left the house......

Broad Marsh

Second 25 years last September, and still going strong, to a French woman 15 years younger than me, I could not speak or understand French, ( I now speak and wright in French ) its good job she spoke fluent English, and I can honestly say never a crossed word, and we are still very happy together...

It may seem strange, but today both of them are very good friends, when me and my French wife go England, we stay with my first wife, and visa versa..

• Upvote 5

Around 1993 whilst with GF of the time, I bumped into two girls that I had relationships with, now palling around together despite notr knowing each other before. One I dated in 1978 the other in mid 80's. Small world eh? I bet they were comparing notes after that?

• Upvote 1

It seemed that quite a few of our generation saw it as normal to get hitched in our early twenties, at least in my circle of friends. Mrs C and I were married in August 1968 so 47 years next year.

You're right of course. I got my leg pulled by my mates, but within twelve months two of them had also tied the knot.

Met my good lady in 1963, she was 13 going on 14, I was 15 just. We went out for a while then I moved with mates doing exciting things like hitching round Europe and other silly things. I often met my "old" flame and we would again go out for several weeks then bang it hit me that this was the one for me.

A the tender age of 18 (me) 16 (her) we got engaged but her family, mainly big sister who was a cow and still is ! decided we were not old enough to be together so did everything in her power to split us up, even suggesting new boyfriends for her sister !

We decided we wanted to be together and because of her family, we eloped to Scotland, not Gretna Green as we knew they would look for us there so opted for a little border town called Kelso.

We borrowed my dads car, drove there, lived in a caravan for 3 weeks then got married, only people there were friends we had made in Kelso and my brother, who somehow had managed to find us !

We had little money, no place to live and nothing but each other.

That was history, we have 5 wonderful kids,11 grand kids and 1 great grandson, and still together and happy 47 years later.

• Upvote 11

Met my ex in 68, lived together from 69, wed early 70,s divorced in 2002. Had great times though.

Met no2 in 76, but didn't see her again till 1999. Lived together 2001 , wed in 2010.