I have always wondered what it must be like to be in a marriage or relationship for a lot of years and never have a cross word or difference of opinion. It must be totally wonderful to be happy every single moment of every single day! Those people who experience this are blessed. We have had 48years of allsorts of emotions. Some times angry with each other, sometimes our differences of opinion have caused upset. But there have been more good times than bad. We are here 100% for each other when the going gets tough, and we need support. I don't call it endurence, I just call it Marriage and life. I am sorry for people who's relationships haven't worked. Each failed relationship has got to be heart breaking at some stage. I count my blessings.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Met my good lady in 1963, she was 13 going on 14, I was 15 just. We went out for a while then I moved with mates doing exciting things like hitching round Europe and other silly things. I often met my

Here goes! All my secrets for the World to see. We met in August 1964. I was 16, Chris 18. A Holiday Romance at 'Good Old Skeggy'. We courted for 2.5 years and had a 'Shot Gun Wedding' at Gedling Chu

When I got married at twenty, an old bag of a neighbour told my mam she'd give us about six months. Me and the missus have just recently celebrated forty happy years together. I'm sure there are

Don't get uptight folks. I think Lizzies use of the word endurance was tongue in cheek.

Don't get uptight folks. I think Lizzies use of the word endurance was tongue in cheek.

Lizzie was probably quoting the title of this thread. The term endurance can be used in different ways. My use of of it in this case is 'the capacity to last'. I think it's a fitting term.

• Upvote 1

Thinking about it TBI, you're probably spot on!

• Upvote 1

I knew my Mrs loved me when, after doing something stupid she threw a dish at me - but instead of throwing one of our best dishes which were nearest, she reached over and grabbed a chipped one to throw.

Just have the usual minor tiffs now and again. We NEVER argue about family or money. We are a strong team.

• Upvote 2
  • 6 years later...

Almost 51 years next month. My mum wasnt chuffed because I was marrying a " foreigner " Dad was happy. She eventually came round but at first she said" as long as you know what youre doing, because if theres another war........." ( I was 26) She did say after a few years that she'd got it wrong about us. Mentioning legality, we married at the Nottingham Cathedral by Father Sebastiano the Italian preist. He said the vows in Italian and said he would repeat them in English. He never did so maybe we are not married either.

• Like 2

I read somewhere the other day that vows have to be in English, or the marriage is not legal! The article related to a couple who wanted their ceremony solely in Cornish.

Tut, tut, Nonna. Have you been living over the brush all these years?

I knew what that meant - something about jumping the broomstick to get married.  Wasn’t there a song in the 50s/60s which had th line ‘let’s jump the broomstick’?  Little Eva comes to mind but I may be wrong

Sorry, CT. It's much used in Yorkshire and I believe its origins are pagan!

Often referred to in Yorkshire as "Living ovver t'brush!"

Another is "Living tally" which is short for Living Hallelujah!  I couldn't tell you the origin of that one!

This is the article I was originally referring to

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-56188851

Not sure what that means for Nonna.

Many years ago, I worked with a woman in Nottingham who had married very young in the Roman Catholic church. Her family were staunch RCs and her auntie was a Carmelite nun in an enclosed order.

Sadly, the marriage went wrong and the couple obtained a civil divorce, not recognised by the RC church, of course.

She later met someone else and wanted to remarry in the RC church. Of course, it wasn't permitted unless she could prove that the original marriage had not been lawful or in accordance with RC doctrine. Just about impossible to do.

I know Nonna won't be looking for an escape clause but she might well have one!

23 minutes ago, MargieH said:

I knew what that meant - something about jumping the broomstick to get married.  Wasn’t there a song in the 50s/60s which had th line ‘let’s jump the broomstick’?  Little Eva comes to mind but I may be wrong

Little Miss Dynamite.....Brenda Lee.......1960.....on the Brunswick label

• Like 1

Marriage to a foreigner seems a bit complicated but it wasnt. My husband told the priest he wanted to marry and he saw to everything else including his confession. The bans were put up in the cathedral and there we were. Father Cummins was the priest in the cathedral and he was at the side of Padre Sebastiano he also accommpanied us to register. We have a marriage certificate signed by him. My husband had to register with the police and had to checkin every week or so until they told him it was no longer necessary as Tug Wilson was a friend and colleague of my father so he was under "control". I automatically received Italian citizenship and have dual nationality. So all in all I can say I'm married I had to register with the Italian consulate and send my birth certificate ( through the Italian priest) to prove who I was etc. When we came to live here I had to revert to my maiden name which i wasn't particularly pleased to do. All in the name of privacy. But I have got used to it and it doesn't change much.

I seem to remember a film with African slaves in the US. No formal ceremony but the couple literally jumped over a besom and were thus considered man and wife.

Living o'er brush was a common saying when I was growing up.

Damn, I just looked it up and it and it says much the same thing...