At the Juniors I had Mr Adlam as my teacher twice, in my second and then fourth year 1965. He was a very nice bloke. During that last year I believe he was either involved in some accident or possibly even attacked, and sustained serious head injuries. I'm sure he was still off school when I left.

Anyone know what happened to him?

I do remember Miss Slack around the school, as a no-nonsence type, but not my teacher. My other teachers were Miss Carty and possibly a Mrs Hedley?, both quite nice ladies.

I also seem to recall a Mr Griffin. For each year then, I guess there must have been two classes? This had completely slipped my mind. Although I don't remember as many as eight class-rooms around the hall.

The head teacher was of course Mr Pearson. He strapped me once for nothing but it didn't hurt at all.

• Upvote 1

Ah yes Mr Griffin, he called silly boys (including me) 'clods' if I remember right. Miss slack was my form Teacher, had the cane off her a few times. Once she was explaining about plants & said "this plant has a kn*b sticking out it's side" & I burst out laughing, I got two strokes of the cane for that.. :)

• Upvote 1

Quite right too :)

I got cane from Miss Slack for walking past her in the corridor with the toggles from my duffle coat stuck in my ears so that the strings hung round my neck.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

hi TBI, I remember mr .Adlam he was my teacher in TBJ,s about 1956/7 ish he was a very fair minded guy he was the teacher who stood up for me when that terrible woman miss slack made me stand on one leg in he middle of the hall all day on one leg!! because my hands were dirty yes that's the sought of woman she was . her and miss smith , we were all scared of them. I would like to know his where abouts to say thankyou to him, Ive often thought about that time many years ago but I am very sorry to hear about Mr adlam he does not deserve that, he made a big impression on me , he was a smashing guy. mr. pearson was another fair minded guy considering he was the headmaster regards don.

I had a 'Miss Slack' called Miss Stoker at the Crane infants school. Horrible woman who would slap you at the slightest misdemeanor. I reckon for a single woman, the job of school teacher was a respectable job, never mind that they'd never had a child, never knew what normal kids behavior was. They had a job, got paid and went home at the end of the day to a quiet house. Some of them should never have been in charge of young children.

hi, colly0410 Iam not surprised she canned you that woman had no sense of humour she was a pig. when I got married I went to live in Wilford village and guess who lived down the road from me , yes you've guessed it miss bloody slack!!!

• Upvote 1

Hi Don - seems Mr Adlam had been at TBJ for quite a while then. Tony mentioned a photo above - I've seen quite a few on google images under Trent Bridge. Yes, he was a very good teacher but it doesn't seem anyone knows what happened to him.

Fortunately, I kept out of old Slack's way. But what an opportunity if you lived near her, I can think of quite a few things I'd be up to come the dark nights.