Lost Pubs photos on Post website

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

See links below http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/pictures/pictures-25136726-detail/pictures.html http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/lost-pubs-Nottingham-pictures-2/pictures-25140644-detail

You are quite right Ian, there is a cult of people who are over reactionary and over sensitive.I was watching a news programme on the T V this week and a pair of ladies black shoes appeared. The desig

So that's the problem solved. The photos are of two different Newcastle Arms, even though the Evening Post imply it's the same building. Typical of the NEP these days, printed in Birmingham and writt

Thanks for that Dave. In the first set of photos, the Alma Inn brought back memories of passing it on the number 22 bus to Hanley Street. The house next door always fascinated me with that huge window on the top floor. Must have been a room for a lace/textile worker?

The 2nd set of pics, #4 says Newcastle Arms, which is not how I remember it looking. #5 says it again and that pic is more acurate. Unless there were 2 of them?

The 2nd set of pics, #4 says Newcastle Arms, which is not how I remember it looking. #5 says it again and that pic is more acurate. Unless there were 2 of them?

Photo #4 is definitely the Newcastle Arms on Sherwood St / Bluecoat Street, although it may not have actually been a pub by then. The building in photo #5 doesn't look like the same place to me; how many Newcastle Arms are there - or have there been?

It's a bit difficult with all those photos because the locations aren't given. In some cases it's obvious, but there are others where you'd only know it if you lived in that area.

So that's the problem solved. The photos are of two different Newcastle Arms, even though the Evening Post imply it's the same building.

Typical of the NEP these days, printed in Birmingham and written by people who don't know the area and don't know what they are talking about.

• Upvote 3

As a kid I loved a cream horn from Tom Sanderson's (?) on Alfred St and always thought it strange that a pub would be named after a cake!

It was a treat to catch the 40 trackless from Commercial Square down to the Embankment and have a bottle of pop in the garden at The Cremorne on a summer evening.

By the by, I still enjoy a cream horn, know worra mean Carni?

• Upvote 1

Does anyone remember the Larkdale just off Portland Road? I very much doubt it's still there.

It wasn't far from the Generous Briton which was set back from Alfreton Road I think - see from the photos has now gone.

Happy days...

It was demolished in 1977 when they re-developed the area. I remember they still had a pinball that took 6d pieces they'd sell you. It was on the corner of Larkdale Rd.

• Upvote 1

The Newcastle Arms I am talking about is on Nuthall Rd, corner of Basford Rd. I didn't know there were two of them.

I remember that one. I wonder if you remember Dougie Wakefield or Pete Bucknall who used it as their local?

DJ Breton, just shows how out of date I am, demolished in 1977! I used to be a part time barman at the Porland Arms across the road. The Landlord. Doug was old then! Poured a good pint of Kimberley though!

[/url]">http://http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/proald/media/HampH_zpsa5a6dfe5.jpg.html'>HampH_zpsa5a6dfe5.jpg

As a kid I loved a cream horn from Tom Sanderson's (?) on Alfred St and always thought it strange that a pub would be named after a cake!

It was a treat to catch the 40 trackless from Commercial Square down to the Embankment and have a bottle of pop in the garden at The Cremorne on a summer evening.

By the by, I still enjoy a cream horn, know worra mean Carni?

Pleased its not just me that thought that that pub was the Cream Horn. I wouldn't have been first to admit it though hellothere

What was the pub at the top of Bailey Street Old Basford....corner of Whitemoor Road.Still there on Street View but tinned up and no signs now. Anybody know?

That was a Duke of Newcastle I think.

edit - Just checked and it was indeed the Duke of Newcastle. Planning permission was applied for and rejected in 2003 to convert it into flats and permission was finally granted in 2010 to turn the ground floor into shops with flats above.

That was a Duke of Newcastle I think.

edit - Just checked and it was indeed the Duke of Newcastle. Planning permission was applied for and rejected in 2003 to convert it into flats and permission was finally granted in 2010 to turn the ground floor into shops with flats above.

I had a feeling it was another 'Newcastle' and only a mile away from the other...very confusing.

I had a feeling it was another 'Newcastle' and only a mile away from the other...very confusing.

Well of course the whole area including Newcastle colliery was owned by the Duke hence the Newcastle Arms opposite where the pit used to be.

Fynger, I bet you are thinking of the old pub that featured in old photos of Nottingham, say turn of the century. I didn't know they'd made a more modern version of it till I saw the Post's pic.