Lost Pubs photos on Post website

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

See links below http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/pictures/pictures-25136726-detail/pictures.html http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/lost-pubs-Nottingham-pictures-2/pictures-25140644-detail

You are quite right Ian, there is a cult of people who are over reactionary and over sensitive.I was watching a news programme on the T V this week and a pair of ladies black shoes appeared. The desig

So that's the problem solved. The photos are of two different Newcastle Arms, even though the Evening Post imply it's the same building. Typical of the NEP these days, printed in Birmingham and writt

re post # 56 the Star Inn pub changed its name to the Cock & Bull and later became the Moon & Stars - with your back to the bogs and before the Bulwell High Road was created The original Bull & Butcher pub stood on the left hand side of Main Street / Hempshill Lane and The Star Inn was on the right hand side

A year or more ago the Basford Bystander magazine published a photograph purporting to be the railway bridge across the bottom of Broxtowe Lane, Cinder Hill. I doubted this because through the bridge you can see, faintly, two tall vertical structures. I believe that these are either two of the chimneys or the headstocks seen in the aerial photo of Babbington/Cinder Hill Pit in the Lost Pubs thread #42.

I remember this bridge very well, next to the Collier's Arms pub, and recall that there was a pavement only on the pub side of the road. The road was much narrower than the Broxtowe Lane bridge, which had a wider road and a pavement either side of the road. In the attached picture the road does look wide, but I still think that it is the bridge near the Collier's Arms. If you look through the bridge on Broxtowe Lane you would have seen Cinder Hill Park, looking one way, and the rising ground going up towards Bells Lane junction looking the other way. Does anyone agree with me? Also, any idea when the picture was taken?

Bridge_zpsfnmx0dqp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When my first child (son) was born I went into the Five Ways pub for a celebratory drink. As I stood at the bar a chap asked me why I looked so happy. When I told him about my son being born he told everyone. They were offering me drinks to celebrate but, as I was driving, I just had the one. Memories, :)

Funny that Michael,i was in the 'five ways' when i got the message my first wife had been taken into City hospital for the birth of my 1st,monday 8th jan 1968,i even left my pint.

Good God what next. I liked the Five Ways.

No, it'll be the Iman calling the Muslims to prayer at an unearthly hour.

What do you mean noisy drunks after midnight. I haven't been there for months. LOL

• Upvote 1

The call to prayer lasts for a few seconds and makes far less noise than church bells.

Any way a cultural centre was mentioned and not a mosque.

There are few complaints (if any) about the call to prayer at the mosque here in Loughborough.

By noisy drunks I meant that in general terms & not to this particular pub. ;)

No offence taken Bubblewrap !!!

If you say calling to prayer only lasts a short while & causes no bother then I suggest you go & talk to the residents near the old Le Grande pub near Gregory Blvd or are they different kind of Muslims ?

Le Grande, another pub I frequented in the 70's. My mates worked at Hicking and Pentecost at Bobbersmill and ever Saturday lunch we would go to that pub to play cards, only problem apart from always losing I couldn't stand the beer.