Lost Pubs photos on Post website

Did Trumans have the longest bar in nottingham?

And wasn't it once said you needed the lonsdale belt to go in the grosvenor pub Arnold? a bit of a rough house.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

See links below http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/pictures/pictures-25136726-detail/pictures.html http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/lost-pubs-Nottingham-pictures-2/pictures-25140644-detail

You are quite right Ian, there is a cult of people who are over reactionary and over sensitive.I was watching a news programme on the T V this week and a pair of ladies black shoes appeared. The desig

So that's the problem solved. The photos are of two different Newcastle Arms, even though the Evening Post imply it's the same building. Typical of the NEP these days, printed in Birmingham and writt

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Or all care homes will be turned into McDonalds.

At the moment they are both a growth industry; which one will run out of customers first?

McDonalds cater mainly for youngsters, a relatively limited age-group. The older generation is becoming an ever increasingly larger percentage of total population, so it's MaccyD's without a doubt.

# 101 If you mean the Grove in Daybrook Square then the answer is yes.

My mothers uncle was 'pot-man' in there many years ago, he whacked a chap who then hit his head on the fireplace fender killing him. The uncle was charged with murder but was found not guilty.

• Like 1

1990 we were looking a round Phoenix for a house. We nipped into a McDonalds in Sun City, a retirement community for the over 55's. Everyone in there was old, including the staff, everyone had an ice cream cone (the cheapest thing on the menu) and the bus boy was well into his 80's. Never forgotten that Maccy D's.

• 2 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 7:45 AM, TBI said:

Was the location of the Black Horse (pic 24) ever determined?

Whilst looking for something else came across this

nottingham_ng6_blackhorse2.jpg

It says that it was at the corner of Hempshill Lane and Coventry Rd Bulwell and demolished in the 1950's  Picture source Eddie Dexter

nottingham_ng6_blackhorse.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...

When I was in my twenties,apart from holding down a full time job on Colwick Industrial Estate,I also worked part time at the Laughing Cavalier in Bestwood Park. My route from Hucknall took me under the railway bridge on Hucknall Road at the end of Bulwell Golf Course.On starting work at the pub I was riding a solo Francis Barnett motor bike which obviously fitted under the railway bridge easily. I later graduated to a motor bike combination and when I approached the bridge on that for the first time I had a sudden fear that me, the bike and the side car were too wide to fit through and slowed down to walking pace. Irrational I know but the fear was very real at the time. One evening later on I was on my way to work at the pub and passed a solitary car  parked on my side of Arnold Road with the Green Barrel sited on the other side.Hanging off the car was an old fashioned paraffin lamp, the likes of which you would see around holes in the road.As I approached the the parked car on my way home on an otherwise empty road I saw a car in the distance coming towards me. When I was about 100 yds away the oncoming car hit the parked car ,veered across the road and disappeared down an embankment.Fearing the worse ,I parked the bike and made my way to the spot at which the car had vanished, looked down and crawling towards me on his hands and knees was the obviously inebriated driver. The noise of the crash had awakened several neighbours who were converging on the scene. Realising the driver was in safe hands and knowing I had been drinking i opted for a swift getaway. Years later I was relating the story to a sister in law who told me the runaway car had come to a stop embedded in her parents garden wall.I under stand neither of the pubs are around anymore but have happy memories of my time at the the Cavalier.  

• Like 1

The Landlord of the Cavalier was an ex fairgound boxer called Barry Leanord who despite the air of menace that always seemed to surround him I liked and got on well with He was the Landlord of the Black Swan , which had a Boxing Ring on the premises, before he was given the Cavalier.I got on alright with the locals but kept my head down when ever any of Barry`s barrow boy mates visited with particular respect for their wives.One of the barrow boys arrived one evening with a pot cast on his leg but still managed to fall out with somebody and kick him down the pub steps.Barry insisted I accompany him on nights out visiting local pubs He drove between the pubs and on one occasion his bonnet blew up totally obscuring his vision.Not panicking,Barry indicated, drew the car smoothly to a halt,.got out slammed down his bonnet, winked and set off again One of Barry`s fellow Landlords had put a relation in charge while he went on his holidays. The relative put too much waste back into the mild and ruined a significant amount of beer. I was sent down into the cellar, tapped and spiled a new barrel of mild, ran some of good mild into a stainless steel bucket, poured some of the bad mild in, stirred the mixture, tasted it, put the suction pipe in and told Barry to start filling glasses  .  By the end of the night and having tasted every bucket I was well on the way but all the bad mild had gone Needless to say I was far too gone to drive and slept it off on one of the bar sofas. .   

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that. As a Time Line, the song There coming to take  me away, had been released, which Barry insisted on bellowing down my ear every time I met him. That song came out in 1966 and I would have left in 1968 when I got married.I never had reason to revisit the Cavalier but did hear that there had been problems resulting in Barry having to move out. Did the boxers actually fight each other or were they exhibition bouts and did they throw down challenges to the spectators?

• Like 1

You are quite right Ian, there is a cult of people who are over reactionary and over sensitive.I was watching a news programme on the T V this week and a pair of ladies black shoes appeared. The design on the front of the shoe consisted of a pair of eyes and two red lips and my initial thoughts were how cute they looked. Boy how wrong was I, as a lady guest was at pains to point  out. Apparently the motif was yet another insidious attempt to denigrate coloured  people.Absolute rubbish. Did that  lady that day not reaiise  that all she was doing was stoking the fires of racism.What would have been said had the shoes been white ? Not a lot I think. 

• Like 4