Just sitting here watching a group of teens mooching by outside, heads down punching away at their phones or whatever. Sets me reminiscing of a typical Saturday morning when I was their age late '60's.

After a week of school, a bit of a lie-in listening to Ed Stewpot on the trannie. Then up and at 'em and into town on the number 43 bus. Meet a couple of mates in the Wimpey for a hamburger and coke. Then into the record shop listening booths to catch up with the latest chart releases, Pearsons basement the destination of choice. Next a quick shufty down Hockley to check out the latest at Jeffs and lust after the Levis jacket in LEATHER which I could never afford. Down to Sun Valley to bang the pin-ball machines about a bit. Then on the number 45 back to Trent Bridge and home in time for lunch – fish and chips if I was really lucky. Mmmm.... And still the afternoon to go....

What did you get up to?

• Upvote 5

In the 50s at this time of year I had a game of football for Wm Crane school in the morning; a game for Aspley Boys in the afternoon and out dancing at night. I wish I had half - a quarter of the energy now.

• Upvote 1

lucky buggers,6'5",harringtons dint fit ,doc martins,dint fit,ben sherman,dint fit mostly standard sizes in them days,still no body ever

Ever hit me. Jeffs had monoply in nottingham for skinhead fashion,

• Upvote 1

Same here tomlinson . If there was a match, playing for Parliament Street Meths. as quite a few from Gedling School were in the team at the time .Think we used to play at Colwick .

Other times if no match , go into town on number 65 from Valley Rd , Carlton into town and have pie peas and chips on Wollaton St. and then to the free football bus on Parliament St to see Forest play .

My memories of 60s Saturdays..... Working all day in Woolworths then spending the money down the boat clubs or the beachcomber at night.....

Some Saturdays we would congregate outside Saxone in the square waiting for a lift to one of the all nighters in Sheffield , Manchester or London.........a big leather doctors bag from Chelsea Girl with toothbrush and spare tights !!!! !!!!!

• Upvote 3

I would catch the 22 bus to Hanley Street, walk down to the square and wait for my work mate Pat Jones, at the left lion. First thing we'd do was go in Burton's wine and spirits dept to see her aunty who worked in there. Then we'd go round the clothes shops, C & A, Chelsea Girl, Richards, Vicki's etc for a mooch. Hardly ever bought anything as I had to save a few weeks to do this. We'd find a record shop and listen to the latest 45 in a booth. Maybe have a coffee, but never even entered our heads to eat in town. You just didn't do that, no money and hardly any choice of venues (that we could have afforded)

• Upvote 2

That four letter word WORK! When I left school, our hours were 42 hours, so Saturday was two hours of normal work and two hours of overtime, knock off at 12-00 noon.

Studying when I was with the NCB, plus doing my homework from Tech. Then when apprenticeship complete, WORK 7 1/4 hout shift, usually an early start and of course early finish, then once back in town, a lunchtime session in 't pub.

lucky buggers,6'5",harringtons dint fit ,doc martins,dint fit,ben sherman,dint fit mostly standard sizes in them days,still no body ever

Ever hit me. Jeffs had monoply in nottingham for skinhead fashion,

AH,remember you now Andy,.........big lad ill fitting clothes........but nobody dare tell you.lol

• Upvote 3

In the 50s at this time of year I had a game of football for Wm Crane school in the morning; a game for Aspley Boys in the afternoon and out dancing at night. I wish I had half - a quarter of the energy now.

Swop Crane for Padstow and Aspley for Bestwood Old boys,and there went i.

Same here tomlinson . If there was a match, playing for Parliament Street Meths. as quite a few from Gedling School were in the team at the time .Think we used to play at Colwick .

Other times if no match , go into town on number 65 from Valley Rd , Carlton into town and have pie peas and chips on Wollaton St. and then to the free football bus on Parliament St to see Forest play .

My memories of 60s Saturdays..... Working all day in Woolworths then spending the money down the boat clubs or the beachcomber at night.....

Some Saturdays we would congregate outside Saxone in the square waiting for a lift to one of the all nighters in Sheffield , Manchester or London.........a big leather doctors bag from Chelsea Girl with toothbrush and spare tights !!!! !!!!!

Sheffield hippo girl,name of club won't come to me,was it fiesta?

Must have been fiesta where i went Dave,could'nt afford 5/-,............then buy some lass a drink.

There you are Benjamin.

Wow what a great little reminder! I used to go there with Click, Ben, Kenny and Radio amongst others.

I didn't have a car then so always had to bum a ride with someone but that was usually possible as several guys had wheels and were usually generous with lifts........

Is the version of Sitting in the Park on the soundtrack by Billy Stewart (original)?

reply to Tomlinson - My hubby went to Crane School in the 50's and played footie for the school and Aspley Old Boys..........He was Malc Taylor (titch), lived at the butchers shop - Joe Taylor and later Son on Bells Lane Cinderhill............He hung around with Rob Barnes, Trev Beach and Ken Basford.............they went to all the local haunts on a Saturday night in town............

I was a Hucknall lass, born Septemebr 45 - went to all the local Hucknall Dances and clubs in the week, but Saturday Night was the LOCARNO - highlight of the week........What a great time we had, especially coming home on the last Trent Bus from Huntingdon Street, 11.30pm.......We would all be squashed in, they never refused a fare and it was great, the drivers and conductors all joined in the merriment.................No trouble in those days, we just went out to enjoy ourselves.......I had a £1 a week spending money when I first left school and made it go a long way........Bought most of my clothes from my aunty Dorcas's catalogue, (paid weekly) the Hucknall Co-op teenage shop and C&A...............Also made a lot of my own clothes......10 shillings for a length of material from the Hucknall Friday Market made shift dresses and suits ( were all the vogue).......Was always knitting thick Knit jumpers and wore winkle picker high heels bought from a cheap shop on Exchange Walk .................. Later on, we frequented the Palais, Boat Clubs, Rainbow Rooms, Colemans, Ice Stadium, Bowling Alley and then as we got older went onto night clubs when we stayed out very late and begged a lift home..............WOW !!! such happy memories...............

• Upvote 3

Blondie,do you remember the dance competions at the Locarno where we all had a big number on our backs (blokes) never won, but came 2nd once to a lad called Lance Wetherall from Bulwell,he was rate small but great dancer.

Think I am the only ex skinhead on this site,long haired weirdos that what I used to call my older brother and his pals ,in my day in nottingham if you went to uni or college you had long hair and went to the boat and listened to long haired weirdo rock music and talked a load of bull,if you worked for a living you were a skinhead went to forest and listened to reggae at the brit and colemans,and talked a load of bull aggressively.flower power not allowed,at bamk holidays you went to skeggy to fight with hells angels.

• Upvote 4

Benjamin 45 - Yes, I remember them, an ex boyfriend of mine once won, he was a great jiver and was nicknamed Jelly legs.........Nobody could move like him, sadly he was killed in a road accident.......................I also knew Lance Weatherall......

• Upvote 1