Katyjay ------- Yes, that's the Ken, tall blonde, wore rimless specs......You must have known my hubbie then, he went to Crane school, he was born in July 1944 - worked for his dad at Joe Taylor and son Butcher's on Bells Lane.......Malc Taylor was his name, he and ken went around together for years......We still see Ken sometimes..........I met Malc, when a friend of mine Jane Rippon was lusting after Ken, I was roped into going out with Malc to make up a foursome, so that Jane could get Ken, that was in August 1969, Malc and I hit it off and got engaged after a month, on September 30th my 24th birthday, we married in February, Valentine's day 1970 and have been together ever since......,...Did you know Rob Barnes and Trev Beach ?..........What is Chulla's real name, do you know ?.....

Katyjay - Yes I remember this you mentioned, from a week ago, Malc can remember delivering meat to Mrs Birch and that she has a son who was older than him, Malc was born in July 1944, so was Trev Beach and Rob Barnes..........Trev lived on Walbrook Close and Rob Barnes was a drummer in a group and lived on Dulverton Vale............There was also a Mick Pinkett from the Newsagents on Bells Lane.......

From 1964 it was Friday night home from work, feed and pack rucksack. X2 from Huntingdon Street to Buxton, meet the lads in the pub. Stay at the caving hostel, Saturday either caving or climbing, at night either the pub or if there was a top group on Stones etc the Pavilion Gardens. Sunday more of the same until the last X2 back to Nottingham.

Blondie, am I right in thinking Ken Basford was older than Malc? More my brother's age? There was a Barry Brown just below the bus terminus too.

Wow what a great little reminder! I used to go there with Click, Ben, Kenny and Radio amongst others.I didn't have a car then so always had to bum a ride with someone but that was usually possible as several guys had wheels and were usually generous with lifts........Is the version of Sitting in the Park on the soundtrack by Billy Stewart (original)?

Hi Siddha this is the original version.http://youtu.be/F_m8xmL6Vck

Thanks Dave 48 . It is so much better than the Geeorgie Fame version which I really liked at the time. I had a brilliant Georgie Fame LP called "Happy Many Returns" and incessantly played this track!

• Upvote 1

Running up arkwright st in me bovver boots acting hard,then me dad going past in his lorry shouting out the cab get home ,had more respectful fear of him than any away football fan skinhead,he is the reason I kept away from trouble and now aged 60 realise what a really good man he was,guess I knew that then as well.Just thought what a busy place arkwright st was in 69/70.

• 1 month later...

Re those dance competitions at the Locarno. Do you remember the occasion when you had to jive for 12 hours non stop. That was literally Rock Around The Clock. Can't remember whether you got a

prize for completing the 12 hours but can recall it was a bit miffy.

• Upvote 1

!960's Saturday morning; Cuban heels, Denim Jeans, matilot shirt, Donovan hat; Hockey skates over shoulder, Trolley bus to town and run to Ice -ring with mates from Cotgrave. Afternoon, practice with the group at New Basford church hall. Evening: Fish for tea, on to gig, or back to church hall for party and dancing.

• Upvote 2
  • 7 months later...

Think I am the only ex skinhead on this site,long haired weirdos that what I used to call my older brother and his pals ,in my day in nottingham if you went to uni or college you had long hair and went to the boat and listened to long haired weirdo rock music and talked a load of bull,if you worked for a living you were a skinhead went to forest and listened to reggae at the brit and colemans,and talked a load of bull aggressively.flower power not allowed,at bamk holidays you went to skeggy to fight with hells angels.

I was a Skin , a bit younger Forest , Reggae and Skeggy Bank Hols and mainly fought against Mansfield Sheffield Derby and Leicester. Boston lads were on our side though. The Chuck Wagon and Beachcomber were our haunts if we could hold em . Rememebr hiding behind a Juke Box in a cafe on Chip Pan Alley while the enemy ran after us, Argent was on 'Hold your head up' I kept my bogger down that particular moment in time. Good times ...phew!

Did someone mention the 60's - now your talking, the greatest era ever........... I don't care what anybody says, there will never be fun like there was back then, especially the early 60's...........I often listen to Gold radio after 10pm and all those records bring back memories fore me, I had one for every bloke I fancied............Billy Fury songs still make me tingle, he always did it for me when singing about love and the stars.......... bring those days back !!!!!!....

• Upvote 3

Always remember the 60s with a lot of warm feelings. Once I got into my apprenticeship it cramped my style a bit. We worked a 44 hour week with 8 to 12 on Saturdays. Then nightschool during the week. Always had lots of energy though. Palais, Wednesday nights, Handfords Friday, Colemans most sunday nights. Shopping around for a good suit. Had to look snazzy. Met the gal I married when I was 18 and then spent almost every spare minute with her from then on. Me mam used to say, "Yo'll get fed up wi 'er before ya even get married." I used to puzzle over the logic of this. Better to get fed up with her before marriage than after surely? I don't think me mam liked her taking her little boy away. Anyway I proved her wrong. Nottingham was great then, always felt safe walking the streets downtown at night and never had a problem with anybody. They were great years! thumbsup

• Upvote 7

Re those dance competitions at the Locarno. Do you remember the occasion when you had to jive for 12 hours non stop. That was literally Rock Around The Clock. Can't remember whether you got a

prize for completing the 12 hours but can recall it was a bit miffy.

I can remember being there then......You did get a prize.......Incidently, I read one of your posts a while back about the drummer Rob Barnes, I knew him well, he grew up with my hubby Malc Taylor who was the butcher at Cinderhill, Rob was best man at my wedding in 1970..........He lives in New Zealand and we are in regular contact with him and Chrissie and see them yearly when they come over to visit the UK...........Malc wants to know your name as he says he may know you......

The 50's and 60's was a fantastic time as we saw the birth of Rock & Roll from Sam Phillips Sun Studios in Memphis, Tennessee.

The article below tells the story of Sam Phillips and the Sun Studios.

http://www.history-of-rock.com/sam_phillips_sun_records.htm

went to Sun Studios , made the hair on the back of my neck stand up when they played Johnny Cash

• Upvote 1

I'm envious, Annesleyred1865. It's something I'd love to do but, despite having relations living in Texas, I've never made any attempt to visit America.

Like Muslims visit Mecca and Elvis Presley fans visit Graceland, Rock & Roll fans (50's and 60's era) wish to visit Sun Studios. It's amazing how Sam Phillips changed the World musically. I did visit Bob Marley's home in Jamaica though.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Being new I'm coming late to these topics. But did anyone go to the "Juke box jury" type show in the Gaumont/Hippodrome venue sat mornings around 1960? About once a month I took a bus to the famous Hanley street then a short walk to the Gaumont. It was full of youths and girls. I think the Beatmen played on the show a few times. One of the records the jury had to comment on was Sellers and Loren, "Goodness gracious". I stil remember it clearly. When the show was over a couple of us would go in Brentnalls and ogle the guitars hoping to play a few but no luck. Then down to Woolies cafe for some lunch. Most Saturdays though were spent ice skating.

Welcome Willow to Nottstaligia  look forward to your post's. 

Used to go ice skating every Saturday morning/afternoon/evening,  coffee bars had just opened up use to go to the one on Hockley Never did go to the "Juke box jury" show missed out. 

Went skating on Highfields lake one winter, I think it was the only time it froze  over.

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2015 at 8:55 PM, Annesleyred1865 said:

went to Sun Studios , made the hair on the back of my neck stand up when they played Johnny Cash

Went to "Theatre Royal" to see Million Dollar Quartet this was the story of Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, and Carl Perkins, it was brilliant, people were dancing in the aisle and the person who played Jerry Lee was just out of this world.  This of course was also the story of how Rock n Roll started at Sun Studios,

If it ever comes to Nottingham Theatre Royal again I would certainly go to see it, I would be first in the queue.

• Like 1