OK I've got a confession to make 'I like Camp coffee' there I've said it. My Wife (who hates tea, how can anyone hate tea?) who drinks only coffee hates it, as does my American friend, he thinks I should be shot for liking it. I gave him a cup once & he put on an oscar worthy performance of a show of pretending to choke & gag, at least I think he was pretending. It's not that bad, is it?

• Upvote 1

I used to love Camp Coffee, not had it in years, still prefer tea even after living stateside for over 25 years.

• Upvote 1

We went old fashioned about a year ago and bought a S/S percolator, makes far better tasting coffee than electric coffee makers.

We always had it when I was a kid, and it was always mixed with hot milk. Very nice too. Funnily enough, we still have it in our house, but only because my wife uses it when she makes tiramisu. I'll have to try it again to drink.

• Upvote 1

I always keep a bottle of Camp Coffee in as it's great for recipes that call for strong coffee, most notably my very favourite Brazilian Teabread (which I think might just be on my banned list now noblue )

There were 3 bottled Coffees circa 1960,........Camp............Bev...........and Bon, and you could get Nescafe (powder) in 1oz tins about 2 bob.

'Strange picture on the front of a highlander having a cuppa with a sikh.'

I suppose the idea is that it's an army camp, very likely on the North West Frontier, and being a Scottish firm they had a picture of a Scottish soldier. The Sikh would have been the officer's bearer, or servant, as shown in the left hand picture where he is carrying a tray.

I always remember that illustration being used by a schoolteacher to explain the idea of infinity - on the tray is a bottle of Camp coffee, with on its label a picture of a man carrying a tray with a bottle of Camp coffee on it, and the label of that bottle is a picture of man carrying a tray with a bottle of Camp coffee on it, and on the label of that is a picture of - and so on and so on for ever.

(This thing still won't let me do quotes of previous posts, nor will it let me copy and paste anything any more - anyone else having any trouble?)

Ha. Camp Coffee. It was like syrup!

Contained lots of chicory and sugar.

Strange picture on the front of a highlander having a cuppa with a sikh.

The Scot was based on the famous "Fighting Mac", General Sir Hector MacDonald (1853 - 1903). He enlisted as a Private and ended up as a General - something that doesn't happen too often. Sadly he eventually committed suicide over allegations of homosexuality with young boys.

I can remember drinking Camp Coffee at my grandma's in the fifties.......she made it and we had saccharin tablets instead of sugar........I loved it............

Bon was made by brooke bond,the Tea people and Bev by the Lyons Tea people,...........just thought you'd like to know.

A few years ago a guy I worked with came into the kitchen at work with a bag of coffee. He was all excited and said "you have to try this - it's coffee with chicory"! I burst out laughing and told him about "Camp" coffee and that the chicory was added to "stretch" the coffee, making it cheaper. He was very disillusioned!

• Upvote 1

Re.

The Scot was based on the famous "Fighting Mac", General Sir Hector MacDonald (1853 - 1903). He enlisted as a Private and ended up as a General - something that doesn't happen too often. Sadly he eventually committed suicide over allegations of homosexuality with young boys.

Camp coffee indeed !

• Upvote 2

Tea's my poison too, but grew up on Camp coffee, only one dad would drink, think it may have been a Navy thing, from the wartime, but not sure.

Here in Oz we can get a toothpaste tube type container with coffee and cream combined, tastes just like camp coffee with condesed milk ! made by the Nestl'e group.

Far too sweet for me now as I dont use sugar at all.

I use a Nespresso machine for my lattes, or a decent coffee shop, loved Costa's in the UK, mainly because it was always the similar brew, not too strong not too weak.

Starbucks in Thailand, Dome in Oz, Ha Ha love my coffee shops, sitting people watching, the world pass by over a nice latte, extra hot.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

Was reading a Women's Weekly, and there was a whole page ad for Camp Coffee, also there is a facebook page Camp Coffee Club. Website is www.campcoffeeclub.co.uk for recipes etc.

• Upvote 2

Well I never. I assumed it had gone out of production years ago.