Chulla's Quantum Conjecture

In living memory there was a time when we did not know of what we call quantum mechanics - things smaller than the atom. Who is to say, therefore, that we will not eventually see things more tiny than the sub-atomic particles we now know. Here's something profound for the deep-thinking Nottstalgians to go to sleep on.

Imagine you have an incredibly powerful microscope, more powerful than today's electron microscopes. Imagine that you pointed it at a dark corner of your room, say, where the skirting-boards meet. You would see dust and dirt and much more than natural sight would reveal.

You look closer and see that the dust and dirt is composed of millions of atoms, and billions of other smaller particles. Look closer still and those particles are inhabited by millions of living beings. In your imagination you would compare this with the universe that you live in - planets and the Milky Way.

Imagine that in fact it is a universe, but only a miniscule part of a much greater universe; the one you live in. Imagine that just as you are a giant in comparison to the living beings visible through the microscope, our universe is just as miniscule to someone else, someone so large that to him our universe is the dust in the corner of his room.

Imagine once more, time is changed in scale, just as sizes are, and his few minutes in time are millions of years of ours. Frightening, isn't it, especially when he reaches for the vacuum cleaner, and we cease to exist.

Sleep tight.

• Upvote 7
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In living memory there was a time when we did not know of what we call quantum mechanics - things smaller than the atom. Who is to say, therefore, that we will not eventually see things more tiny than

Going deaf and having music stolen from me was like shredding a piece of my soul. Music is so important and essential to human existence. Even when the secrets of quantum theory are revealed and under

So now we know what chulla does in answer to the thread about lying awake in the early hours. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13302 When Smiffy49 asked that question, I'll bet he di

Chulla,

Those kind of thoughts are never far from mind. But, I try to let the Butterfly and Rainbow thoughts push it to one side :rolleyes: They don't help me sleep, but make the laying awake hours easier. :)

Very Interesting Miduck.

• Upvote 2

#1 I remember as a young SF enthusiast reading a story about a man sitting in a forest and musing about a fork in a nearby tree. Just as you clearly mused, he imagined these tiny universes that only lasted for a few minutes So even without QM being a term it was certainly thought about even 60 years ago.

Just about anything is possible and I wonder what the world will be like when my great grandchildren have their own great grandchildren? Molecular and bio computers are already being developed. Then there will be sub molecular...then bio integration....

• Upvote 1

Must be a week for this sort of thing .

On another message board I read , one chap randomly told us about other galaxies expanding away from us at twice the speed of light . Except that it's not theoretically possible to go faster than the speed of light.....well I think thats what he was saying !

Way above my head ! Well I suppose most galaxies are !!

http://boards.fool.co.uk/faster-than-light-galaxies-13130888.aspx?sort=whole#13130888

• Upvote 1

First came across something very similar a lot of years ago. It was a story in one of my illustrated comics. The first part was about a universe inhabited by humans who where sending rockets into outer space. There were wars on several different planets, famine and strife on others all in all pretty much like we are.

Only on the last page was it revealed that this was all happening in a glass tank, sited on a laboratory bench, being watched over through microscopes by huge human scientists. The finale was that they decided to end the experiment, empty the glass tank and turn out the lights.

• Upvote 1

You look closer and see that the dust and dirt is composed of millions of atoms, and billions of other smaller particles. Look closer still and those particles are inhabited by millions of living beings.

So there could be an infinitesimal number of mini-Nottsalgias out there - or going in the opposite direction a universe full of mega-Nottstalgias. With posts being written by microscopic equivalents of ourselves.

I was just thinking to my self that TYAFANS would probably enjoy this Topic.

I just looked on the Calender and would you Adam and Eve it. It is his Birthday

So I have started a Happy Birthday for him! Where ever he is?

• Upvote 1

#15 Cliff Ton. There could well be posts written by those miniscule Nottstalgians, if they were literate. If they went to Arnold County High School then I doubt it. But if they went to the William Crane Academy For Young Gentlemen then they would be. Laetitia Servire - ra!, ra!, ra!.

• Upvote 3

#15 Cliff Ton. There could well be posts written by those miniscule Nottstalgians, if they were literate. If they went to Arnold County High School then I doubt it. But if they went to the William Crane Academy For Young Gentlemen then they would be. Laetitia Servire - ra!, ra!, ra!.

However - if they had gone to Berridge they would have given you a kicking for showing off LOL

• Upvote 4

Hmm, if there's lifeforms living on these ultra tiny particles I wonder what effect the strong & weak nuclear forces would have on them. Perhaps they act like gravity & electromagnetic forces do on us & they don't know about gravity & electromagnetism as it doesn't seem to affect them at their small scale. There could be even smaller particles & forces & scalar fields that we don't know about but the tiny bods do. I suppose they could live on a Higgs Boson & that's why it took so long to discover. Guess what I'll be dreaming about tonight..

My flux capacitor doesnt flux anymore..

• 5 months later...

Not only the very small and cosmic scale, modern physics also states that there is a possibility for infinite numbers of universes.

Theoretically there is a universe where I could now be lying in bed next to Cameron Diaz, eating mushy peas with mint sauce and drinking shippoes. The closest I have got is lying in bed eating mushy peas!

• Upvote 3

#4: I was thinking along those lines yesterday as I was picking tiny mites off a beetle. Poor little bugg*r was covered in the miniscule parasites.