Chulla's Quantum Conjecture

M C @ 24 there is no such thing as infinite numbers of anything; there is only infinite everything . You will probly never be nearer to Cameron Diaz than you are to David Cameron right now. don't go eating mushy peas in bed any more luv, it just leads to bad dreams.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In living memory there was a time when we did not know of what we call quantum mechanics - things smaller than the atom. Who is to say, therefore, that we will not eventually see things more tiny than

Going deaf and having music stolen from me was like shredding a piece of my soul. Music is so important and essential to human existence. Even when the secrets of quantum theory are revealed and under

So now we know what chulla does in answer to the thread about lying awake in the early hours. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13302 When Smiffy49 asked that question, I'll bet he di

Here's another one to keep you awake at night. They say that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light; well, that's what Albert Einstein led us to believe. I am not doubting him at the moment, but who knows if this will one day be proved to be wrong. Take these two examples.

Something is travelling through space at just the speed of light - it cannot go any faster. Mounted on it is a gun. The gun fires and the bullet leaves the barrel. Or does it? According to today's scientific thinking the bullet would stay in the barrel, irrespective of the pressure behind it, and meeting no air resistance in front of it. If it did leave the barrel it would be travelling at a greater speed than light. When you think of it, the hammer could not travel forward to strike the firing-pin, because it would have to travel faster than light to do so.

Also, it might be possible to spin a very long rod/rope so that the end of it is travelling at just the speed of light. If this is possible, then by adding a few more inches to the length of the rod/rope, it would then be travelling at more than the speed of light.

If neither of these examples is possible, then what is holding back the bullet and the rod?

• Upvote 2

WTF

• Upvote 1

Does the hammer falling at a set ratio 'create' the bullet to travel at the speed if light? Further to bolster your claim Chulla- if it was my late Fathers round in a pub- he would dash to the toilet faster than any bullet!!

#29 that's what relativity is about.....and I don't understand it......

Space ship #1 accelerates to 90% speed of light. It launches space ship #2 that accelerates to 90% speed of light relative to space ship #1. Space ship #2 launches space ship #3 and it accelerates to 90% speed of light relative to space ship #2. From the Earth launching site of spaceship #1,

is space ship #3 travelling at 2.7 x speed of light?

I wonder if there is an undiscovered phenomena that causes light to accelerate?

Won' sleep much tonight - that bleddy Chula!

#32. Not talking about the gun, talking about the bullet.

Captain Kirk in the Enterprise cracked it - he could travel at warp speeds. So cling on to that thought (Klingon - geddit?)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Right then, we have cracked quantum mechanics and travelled faster than light, time to exercise our grey matter on another of life's great mysteries. Time to give PeverilPeril something else to keep him awake, and colly0410 something that he says he likes to get stuck into.

It is my contention that our memory capacity is as large as that of our computers. Just how many terabytes that equates to I have no idea, but it must be considerable. Why do I say this? I will give a hypothetical example as a way of explanation.

One day you are in a pub, or wherever, and a man comes up to you and says 'Are you John Smith who was at xxx school in the 1950s'. You say 'Yes'. He says 'My name is Peter Jones'. Quickly you remember him from those days even though you had not heard of him since the day you left school sixty years before. This would prove that the memory of him had been stored in your memory all those years just waiting to be recalled. It get more interesting. Despite never having recalled Peter Jones' name in sixty years, you now remember that he broke his arm falling down in the school playground. However, when he mentions the name of another lad who was in the class, you have no memory of him or his name. But it must be in there.

Does this power of recollection indicate that everything we have ever seen, heard, experienced is stored in our memory and that there is some kind of 'mechanism' that keeps most of it out of mental reach so that we do not go mad. But it is all there, out of reach until a trigger acts like a searchword on a computer and fetches it out of storage. Of course, even with triggers we fail to remember many things. Hypnotists, they say, can regress people back to their childhood, and if this is so then long-forgotten memories are capable of recalled, memories that were not recalled when not under the influence. As far as we know the brain does not pick and choose what it wants to store, so everything must be in there. One day, I would think, there will be a method of interrogating the memory banks.

• Upvote 1

There have been quite a few occasions (more as I get older) where I meet someone who I assume I've never met before. After a few minutes I start thinking "Have I known this person before somewhere? Did I work with them? Were they at school with me? Or live nearby?"

So I'm half convinced I've known this "stranger" before, but I can't remember any details of where or when, and I don't know if I've invented the fact the I knew this person somewhere else.

CT. The only way out of the dilemma you describe would be to ask him questions - What is your name, what school did you go to, where have you worked, where did you live? If all produced negative replies then it is likely that you did not know him but he reminded you of someone you used to know. It is the old deja vu thing - there was something about him that reminded you of someone in the past. Just imagine if you asked his name and it was someone in your class at school and then you remembered that he broke his arm in the playground. Here we have a faint remembrance being amplified by something recalled from the memory banks. Of course, he could have said that it was Freddy Wilson that broke his arm in the playground, but it does not matter, something never thought of for sixty years has been recalled. So fascinating yet we know so little.

• Upvote 1

#38 Chulla,This reminds me of films I have seen in the past,(I need a trigger to recall the titles) where there are supposed "Sleepers" and as soon as someone says a certain word or sentence, it triggers them off and they go and do what ever action they are programmed to carry out. :huh:

carni. Look again at that picture I took of you at the Arboretum where I said that you were looking crestfallen. Actually, I had just hypnotically planted a code word into your brain. It will be aroused when you read a certain word in one of my messages. I dare not say what it will make you do, but you will not have the willpower to resist.

Hmm interesting Chulla. I'm wondering if our brains have some kind of data compression gubbins a bit like MP3, DVB-T, DVB-T2, as used for digital sound recording & digital TV broadcasting. Also is there some kind of quantum tunneling & superposition involved, or some quantum effects we haven't discovered yet? As we all know our digital TV's can go a bit haywire now & then when the digital compression gubbins goes out of kilter, does the same sort of thing happen in our brains? (A brainstorm?)

carni. Being a friend it is only fair that I warn you of your fate, but not the trigger word identity or its timing. When you brain registers it all servings of chocolate, ice-cream, cream cakes, etc, will taste like Syrup of Figs.

colly. You could well be right. We are born with the same number of neurons that we have in adult life. It is the connecting strands that multiply with age and give us the capacity to remember. Does the brain produce more connecting strands ad infinitum to satisfy the expanding knowledge? When you look at the size of a large-capacity memory stick, the brain is much bigger with more room to store, I would have thought.

More than store information perhaps. I think everyone is telepathic to a degree but its use is involuntary and points to areas of the brain which lay dormant. Mind you, I've always thought my brain to be more or less dormant anyway! yada

Chulla, love this topic!! do we need a trigger to release those memories? Do we store everything? If you asked me what I wore last Tuesday, I would have no clue..unless something triggered that memory.. Just a thought.

Ian. Last Tuesday, your eyes looked for the clothes that you wanted to wear that day. The brain already knew that you had the clothes (registered in its memory banks) , and had reminded you of this and in a way made up your what-to-wear list, or at least that you had them because it had not been instructed that you had got rid of them. . Your eyes were then instructed to look for them in the wardrobe, having been trained by the brain to identify them. Your brain then instructed your hands to remove them and to facilitate the clothing of your body. The brain registered all this, so the answer to your question is 'yes' the sight and action is noted by the brain but there must be some kind of arbiter that says 'he is not going to want to know what just happened' so I will park the information in the 'not wanted' siding because you are never going to want to know what you have just done. However, along comes the wife the next day and says 'which trousers did you wear yesterday?', and I bet you will know. Your brain has now said to itself 'I wish he would make his mind up, he parked that information and now he wants it'. So, the brain thought it was not going to recall what had happened, and now it has been instructed to do just that. Not only did it, but it reminded you that you had noticed a stain on one of the legs when you were putting them on.

But what was it that physically/mentally triggered the brain to recall the information from its memory? The actual triggering was subsequent to the initial action.

I could talk about this for hours - I have another observation that shows just what a remarkable organ the brain is.

Re # 46

Hmm interesting again Chulla. I wonder if our infant brains neurons works like a load of serial processors in series & as we get older the connecting strands start to convert into sorts of parallel processors? How we imagine things that have never happened like me copping off with Olivia Newton John I have no idea, but it was a nice fantasy. Thank you brain.. :) :)