Chulla's Quantum Conjecture

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In living memory there was a time when we did not know of what we call quantum mechanics - things smaller than the atom. Who is to say, therefore, that we will not eventually see things more tiny than

Going deaf and having music stolen from me was like shredding a piece of my soul. Music is so important and essential to human existence. Even when the secrets of quantum theory are revealed and under

So now we know what chulla does in answer to the thread about lying awake in the early hours. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13302 When Smiffy49 asked that question, I'll bet he di

I awoke too early, and couldn't get back to sleep, so I took two paracetamol and read this topic, and it's had the desired effec..........

• Upvote 2

Only joking........... But a bit heavy going! LOL

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I watched that programme on Multiverses - didn't really understand it all but found it fascinating. Wonder if the Margie in another 'universe' enjoyed it too! And the other Margie, and another, and another........

• Upvote 1

DAH........ My brain don'tarf hurt

• Upvote 1

I watched the multiverse program & if you think about it, it's got to be sort of true. Space can never end, it must just go on for ever, there will always be more space when you think you've come to the end of space, so there must be other universes out there. It's just that our brains have problems dealing with infinity as they never evolved to do so. The human brain of ancient times was preoccupied with running away from sabre toothed tigers & not thinking about infinity. Those who did think about infinity were the the ones that ended up as tiger din-dins..

• Upvote 2

For me the most exciting item in the programme was the possibility of quantum computers; using sub atomic 'bits'. These computers would change everything, being able to do billions of calculations simultaneously. That would be the true 'quantum leap'.

• Upvote 2

Just watched the programme on iPlayer - wasn't convinced about anything it had to say. To every idea, every pronouncement, every expert opinion, if you asked them 'do you know that for a fact', the answer would be 'no'. If we were talking about something that could well be true based on our current scientific knowledge, then that is one thing. However, the programme was about an idea that had more holes in it than a lace curtain. Nothing wrong in having a bit of fun in the game (not science) of prediction.

I am not convinced about the so-called Big Bang theory - they only thought of it because they couldn't think of another way in which the universe was formed. Now it has almost become an established fact, when there is nothing to substantiate the claim. If there was a big bang, presumably there was an enormous entity there prior to the bang. Where did that come from. It's the old 'If god made us, who made him' question.

• Upvote 1

# 65 PeverilPeril.

Yes that bit fascinated me as well, especially the speculation that the the quantum bits used parallel universes to do their calculations. I lay awake at night thinking about things like this then wonder why I can't get to sleep. :)

• Upvote 1

#67 Chulla - doubt if anyone is convinced about any of it, but these theories have to be investigated...AND it is fascinating. The lady mathematician who stood on the Giant Causeway seemed to be the most reasoned of all the profs. According to her and others, evidence is being discovered that will prove the existence of the Multiverse.

I liked the theory that the Universe is a finite quantity of energy and particles that can be explained mathematically. Trouble is that it would take conventional computers the age of the Universe itself to to do the necessary calculations.

I lie awake too Colly0410 - lost a lot of sleep over the years pondering infinity. Kurt Vonegut jr started me off with his SF stories in the 50's based on // universes.

• Upvote 1

They do admit that the evidence is a bit flaky, but the mathematics seem to be leading towards parallel universes & extra dimensions. Mathematics in science seems to have a habit of predicting things before they're discovered or proved: E.G. Higgs boson, W & Z bosons, gluons, quarks, gravitational lensing, frame draging; all these were predicted by maths before they were discovered. Admittedly some thing were discovered that were not predicted by maths: E.G. Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Expanding universe acceleration, Gravity & others I can't remember at moment.

Wish I was clever enough to have gone into this sort of thing, but we didn't do much about theoretical physics at Trent Bridge, we were trained mainly for factory & manual work, not accademia..

• Upvote 1

If our Universe is expanding then everything is getting further apart. So if there are Multiverses then they may be expanding too. Could be an overlap with adjacent Universes that don't conform to our material structure. All that unexplained energy and matter may belong to other Universes that have inpinged on ours. Likewise, our Universe may have seeped into other Universes. We just can't see it or detect it yet because we are still quite primitive.

• Upvote 1

I've always wondered about the expanding universe...... If everything is moving away from everything else, does that means there must be an increasing area of empty space where the 'big bang' was? I have had it explained like the surface of an expanding balloon, where points marked on it get further apart, but there is still the space inside the balloon isn't there? I also have read that space is curved but that doesn't help me get my head around it... Any ideas?

• Upvote 1

As Delboy would say Margie,........'.its a bark init'...........and.................'i can't be doing wiv it'...... :biggrin:

• Upvote 3