Dear Fellow Forum Members. It is my sad duty to inform you that member "fch782c" - my younger brother Paul, unfortunately passed away on 28 August 2014 after a long illness. Paul frequently sent me links and photos to this local website, and it is only now that I've found the time to sit down and join up as a member. Better late than not at all.

Adystimpson, I am so sorry to hear about your brother's passing, my condolences to you and the family. We are glad to have you as a new member.

• Upvote 5

How sad, he made some good posts. You have our deepest sympathy.

• Upvote 3

I'm really sorry to read that fch782c has passed away. I thank you for informing us of the sad loss to you and your family, Ady. Your brother was a well liked and valuable member of Nottstalgia and will be greatly missed. My condolences to you all.

I'm pleased to see that you have become a member and I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories.

• Upvote 7

Thank you all for your kind comments. Paul had a remarkable knack of turning up photos of Arnold that as a 1960's boy I could juuuust about recall.

I suppose my earliest memories of Arnold would be the old Front Street - pre Fine Fare/Asda etc when Dewey's grocers still occupied the site.

Also the cinema on Front Street (demolished late 1960's?), the old baths, police station and the original church that sat near to the junction of Calverton Rd/Surgeys Lane, the site now occupied by a community centre.

I can also recall the derelict remains of the Seven Stars as the St Mary's Close development was being built.

• Upvote 2

Ady, I'm so sorry to hear the sad news. I did enjoy reading your brother's posts which will always be here on Nottstalgia. My condolences go to you and the rest of Paul's family. I too grew up in Arnold by the way, and remember all those places you mention. I hope you continue to get involved with Nottstalgia, we look forward to hearing more from you.

• Upvote 6

Ady, I too am so sorry to hear of your brother's passing. I always appreciated his posts and he was a good member of the Nottstalgia family. He will be missed.

Please accept my sincer condolences to you and the rest of your family.

Dave.

• Upvote 4

I am so Sorry to hear this and have been offline since yesterday morning.

Please accept our deepest condolences for the loss of your brother Paul Stimpson :(

• Upvote 3

Ady, I am so sorry to hear of Paul's passing, and I along with all on here offer our deepest sympathy to You and your family.

I didn't know Paul personally but felt an affinity with him as a member of the Forum family and am deeply saddened by your loss and our loss of him as a member. I do hope that you feel able to keep on as a member and share your memories with us.

• Upvote 4

These are posts I dont like to see,however we must accept the passing of our friends and family and realise that behind them is left their contribution to life itself and death is not a bad thing it is the end

of their/our term,RIP fch 782c.

• Upvote 2

Poor old Paul...sorry to hear.

Spent many an hour sinking a pint in the Eagle with him....I left the area a few years back and lost contact. I knew he had had a bad do health wise...it's the cards we draw in life I guess.

We never did get the metal detectors out Calverton way like we often talked. ;)

• Upvote 3

My sincerest condolances on your loss.

• Upvote 2

Welcome Adysimpson, so sorry to hear of your sad loss, I didn't know him as I'm not an old member. please accept my condolences.

• Upvote 2

Although this has made me feel sad, it has also given me a lift.

It proves once again what a great site this is.

wouldn't it be good if the whole world was as thoughtful as the members on this Forum.

Just imagine Earthtalgia. com.......

Welcome AdyStimpson

• Upvote 7