Nottingham Buses Through The Years

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found this last night, not seen it for years. A much younger Catfan taken c1975 Bulwell Depot. Daimler Fleetline.

collection of trams - trolleybuses etc photo here too https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.126414467557929.1073741838.124695851063124&type=1

Even by the Post's usual standards, that's a bit pathetic. If you really want Nottingham buses through the years, look at this which I've linked before. https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/set

For more Nottingham trolleybuses, try here. http://www.trolleybus.net/index3.htm

When you click on it, it will come up with Maidstone which is probably not what you really wanted. Look down the left side of the page and you will see Nottingham as an option. Click on that and there are 3 pages of material - and a map of the system.

• Upvote 3

Lovely pics of the 41 at Cinderhill, and the wall we'd scramble over to get to Fowler's Pond. What a wonderful time we grew up in, and never thought it would change so.

• 10 months later...

Not sure if this is the right thread for this photo, but here it is. The connection with Notts is that it is a former Mansfield District Bristol Lodekka, seen here after its transfer to United Counties.

I thought the photo might be of interest for the cars of the period. Photo was taken in the early 1970s immediately before I was run over.

United20Counties20599201970s_zpsmkotdslz

• Upvote 2

565 ERR was one of five Bristol Lodekkas from this neck of the woods, bought by United Counties in 1971 - this one from Mansfield District, and two each from Midland General and Notts & Derby. I think they (and others from elsewhere) were brought in as stop-gaps to cover for inadequacies in the recently acquired Luton Corporation operation. Even on a good day with a following wind, Luton's buses didn't fit in with United Counties, which, like all the nationalised "Tillings"/BTC companies, standardised on Bristols.

Interestingly, Luton did have a few Dennis Lolines which passed to United Counties - what you might call imitation Lodekkas. This one, with bodywork by Neepsend of Sheffield, was probably photographed on the same day (whenever that was!) in Luton. Not that this has got anything to do with Nottingham.

United20Counties2084320in20Luton201970s_

iandawson - I have got a few shots taken through the front window of the car (passenger side) on various occasions, but I think that was the only rear window photo I took.

Thanks Merthyr, funny I know very little about buses really- I find Stephen and yourself brilliant at info/detail/photos...and really appreciate the relaying of such.. I have since a kid..loved buses,especially Midland General. gorgeous seat fabric,different bell ring,match striker was fancy,gear change sound was fab,cream ceiling with little round bulbs etc..Even the Barton 14 seemed to tear up to my school on Ruddington Lane.They had some growl pulling off.Probably a bit daft as a 15 year old..to some!!

Wasn't a Dennis Lowline just a re-badged Bristol? Dished up as a Dennis so as to make them available to non-Tilling group companies.

Well, the Loline was manufactured by Dennis Bros. of Guildford (as the firm used to be - I believe there's been loads of takeovers, mergers, etc since then). It was the Lodekka design 'built under licence' by them. It was provided with a Gardner engine as were the majority, but by no means all, of Lodekkas.

Dennis's bus chassis manufacturing business was in something of a decline in the mid-1950s and I think they saw it as a way of increasing sales without developing a new design of their own. But despite the Lodekka being so popular (bearing in mind it was that or nothing for the Tilling/BTC/THC companies) sales of the Loline never really took off. Of course that may have been due to limited manufacturing capacity at Dennis compared to Bristol, or I'm not sure whether Lolines were more expensive than other designs of the time.

True Merthyr - but its a funny old thing that Dennis, which always seemed a small time player in those days, survived. AEC? Leyland? Daimler? Guy? - even Bristol? - and as for Gardner engines - oh dear. They just refused to move with the times, and the market eventually walked away from what was a brilliantly rugged and reliable engine from about 1930 to 1970, but unfortunately by then it had just had its day (several times over).