Nottingham Buses Through The Years

Merthyr Imp, I know what you mean. Whenever I think of Nottingham buses it isn't multi coloured Scanias that come to mind but magnificent green and cream AEC Renowns with that melodic gearbox whine as they climbed Derby Road to Canning Circus, or the roar of a Leyland 0680 followed by the distinctive sneeze of the gearchange of Leyland Atlanteans departing South Parade for West Bridgford.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found this last night, not seen it for years. A much younger Catfan taken c1975 Bulwell Depot. Daimler Fleetline.

collection of trams - trolleybuses etc photo here too https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.126414467557929.1073741838.124695851063124&type=1

Even by the Post's usual standards, that's a bit pathetic. If you really want Nottingham buses through the years, look at this which I've linked before. https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/set

Catfan, my Dad worked for NCT from 1963 until 1977. He said the two best types he drove were the pre-select AEC Regent IIIs at Bilborough depot when he first passed his test, closely followed by the AN68s that were newly allocated to Trent Bridge in 1973/4. However he does admit that when the AN68s were converted from semi-automatic to fully automatic they weren't as good.

The Regents would be the OTVs - I think Bilborough depot had nothing else from 1953/4 when they first arrived on the scene, until the rear-engine buses came in. I certainly recall seeing a photo somewhere of about 20 posed for the camera outside the depot. Park Royal bodies, and a totally competent 9.6 litre engine. Before they were delivered I can just remember their predecessors - the 1937-1939 Regents. There was a 15 minute film of the Old Market Square in 1950 posted on here a couple of months ago, and they appear there on the "30 Broxtowe Estate".

• 2 weeks later...

When I worked in town as a teenager I would often catch the bus with a friend,it was a number 25,it said limited stop on the front,so I would travel about 3stops too far and then walk home.We got the bus at the old Huntington street bus station.Do any buses have limited stops now ?

• 3 months later...

He worked tirelessly for NCT staff, as the TGWU brach secretary not always an easy job either but was very highly respected by everyone on the job.

Deepdene Boy's dad also worked with your grandad, his name Clive Johnson.

I have seen blokes go in front of the boss fully expecting the sack but these blokes did the impossible & got them an arse kick instead.

That's how good they were. Happy days.

• Upvote 3

Arse kick'...instead of sack.......they were real bosses wer'nt they Catfan.......not many like that today..........

• Upvote 2

Caroline, I have fond memories of your grandad, Harry. I remember once, it was probably in the summer of 1976, myself, my brother and my Mum had been in to Nottingham for shopping one Friday morning, and we had arranged to meet Dad for lunch in the NCT canteen. Dad was then due out to work a half shift of driving duties having finished his TGWU office work. As we said our goodbyes to Dad in the TGWU office, Harry came in and asked us if we wanted a lift back to Clifton. We said yes and he told us to wait in the office for five minutes. Five minutes later Harry came back and told us to get on to a white Leyland Leopard that was now outside the office, but try not to be seen by anybody else. It transpired that Harry was off to EMA to pick up an incoming private hire and on the way he dropped us at the end of Green Lane.

I also remember Harry being on a trip that the Union organised to the TGWU rehabilitation centre at Littleport in Cambridgeshire, on a Llilac Leopard which my Dad drove.. Harry's son, I think his name was Paul, also came along. Caroline, would that be your Dad?

• Upvote 1

I once had to see the general manager to appeal a three day suspension with another driver & was both represented by Harry.

Look daid Harry, pointing to a almost empty disciplinary folder on his desk, there's hardly owt in it he said !

The traffic manager turned to Harry & pointed to another folder & said there's the other one (full) ! Catfan's on his second folder !

Result tho, Harry got us a slap on the wrist instead hellothere

• Upvote 2