Nottstalgia good food guide.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Busy making a batch of mincepies to take to Quiz Night at Harby (the one near Newark) tonight. Having new health issues now (ie diabetes) I decided to check out the calorific value of my homemade minc

Roebuck on St James Street isn't bad. Some of the customers can be a bit funny though.

With my wife being ill I will be doing the Christmas dinner this year. I'm not experienced enough to cook a turkey so I'm going to make them beef wellingtons instead. I've never made any before (I did

Just remembered The Lucaya, above the shops on Parliament Street. It was one of my sister's favourite haunts in the 1960s when she worked at Horizon Travel further down the road.

I remember going to The Lucaya on a couple of occasions but it must have closed years ago. No idea what is there now.

We went to LizzieM country last night for a meal at the new Cod's Scallops fish and chippery. All seats were taken (over 40) and we had to wait for about 15-20 minutes for our food. The place was noisy - fair number of children. Looking round there were are large number of the old saucy double- entendre postcards on the wall. Cod was £4.80 and chips 1.80. We ate outside. All of the chips were small in size, but a fair amount of them - what we got for our money was OK, but the experience wasn't memorable.

We then walked up the road to the Doctor's Orders pub for a pint. It is micro brewery place. Not knowing anything about their ales I had the standard Epic brew. Not bad but totally flat, completely devoid of a head, could not compare with a good pint of John Smiths. There is no bar as such, you sit down and they come and take your order. Don't think we will be visiting Carrington again, somehow.

Well maybe I won't invite you back into my 'hood Chulla!

As far as Cods Scallops is concerned we've only had a takeaway on the second day it was open. I thought the food was excellent but almost twice as costly as Captain Cod up by the prison, which has been our favourite chippy for several years. I'm sure it will live up to the excellent reputation that the Wollaton shop has acquired.

Disappointed that you didn't think much of our 'local' Doctors Orders. We love it in there but we've been going in ever since it opened 3 or 4 years ago. We know lots of regulars which helps but as it's so small any strangers and first-timers will always find someone to chat to. I don't drink real ale so can't comment on your flat beer.

Then there's a great new Indian restaurant, Masala Junction, opened up in the old NatWest building. Naj Aziz who used to own Mem Saab has done a wonderful job there. He invited Mapperley Park residents to a free tasting menu the other week. We were there, food was fabulous and the booze flowed freely.

For us, there's no need to go into town to eat out, there are a great variety of eateries in Sherwood too, French, Italian, Japanese and of course Samuel Hall Wetherspoons.

• Upvote 3

Sherwood and Carrington are nowadays quite vibrant areas. There's certainly something for everyone from every walk of life.

Sitting with a pint of Abbot Ale in the Samuel Hall all afternoon is far more preferable than driving a bus out of there at 4.30am of a winters morning I can assure you !

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

Is that still open Den? I thought it closed yonks ago.

Trattoria Conti staff in 1970

Anyone remember them?

image_zpscftgtbv2.jpegPietro Pala, Nicola , Donato Mr ?,  ? Antonio ( Toni) and Claudio

image_zpsnwsjxqpg.jpeg

Hope this is the correct one

Pasquale Sorrentino, Michele and dont know the name of the other chef.

• Upvote 3
  • 5 months later...
On 17/07/2016 at 0:32 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Just remembered The Lucaya, above the shops on Parliament Street. It was one of my sister's favourite haunts in the 1960s when she worked at Horizon Travel further down the road.   I remember going to The Lucaya on a couple of occasions but it must have closed years ago. No idea what is there now.

A bit of a late reaction, but I came across this from the early 1970s. Lucaya on the far right.

parliament%20st%20lucaya_zpssm31ph7o.jpg

• Upvote 2

That's the one, CT! My sister found it very handy as it was just up the road from Horizon Travel. I recall also that she spotted the actress Kathleen Harrison, best remembered for her tv role as Mrs Thursday, walking past the travel agency window one morning. The staff all waved to her and she came in and signed her autograph for them. Harrison was appearing at The Theatre Royal that week!

Maxines vegetarian cafe was up there somewhere........my Dad insisted on a sausage Cob there,........told him ''Dad,its Vegetarian''.......ok says he, i'll have a Bacon sandwich then''......lol.

• Upvote 2

Also remember The Gingham Kitchen. They did yummy cheese omelettes and even yummier ice cream pancakes. Remember having my tea there before going to see my sister in the city hospital maternity unit where she'd just given birth to my nephew in February 1975.

The Cafe Duet on Broad Street was also a favourite! I believe the building eventually collapsed!

Also in that row of premises on Broad Street in the early 70s was Moran's Bakery. Mr Moran was, I believe, eastern European but he certainly knew how to make delicious bread and cakes!   Both my mum and sister worked at C & L E Attenborough, Dental Technicians, Viscosa House on George Street, so it wasn't far to go for fresh bread and cakes!  :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

Fox and Hounds definitely was a Kimbo pub, as I used to drop in for a pint after walking the dog in Blidworth Bottoms in the days before it became popular with the other kind of "doggers".

Tthe food has improved since then, but so have the prices they charge!

When I used to get taken down to the Fox and Hounds as a kid by my mum and dad the only food I ever got in those days was a bag of Smith's crisps or a packet of KP peanuts. Never knew if they had sandwiches, pies, sausage rolls or pickled eggs/onions inside as I was never allowed in. I do remember they had a kiddies slide in the beer garden at the side of the pub.