Nottstalgia good food guide.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Busy making a batch of mincepies to take to Quiz Night at Harby (the one near Newark) tonight. Having new health issues now (ie diabetes) I decided to check out the calorific value of my homemade minc

Roebuck on St James Street isn't bad. Some of the customers can be a bit funny though.

With my wife being ill I will be doing the Christmas dinner this year. I'm not experienced enough to cook a turkey so I'm going to make them beef wellingtons instead. I've never made any before (I did

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

This may be a little thread drift but I was in Nottingham last week and I went to the most hallowed place, the curry corner on Maid Marian Way and Mount Street. I succumbed to going to Me'em Sahib as I couldn't get a table at the Laguna. (My preference) Still one of the finest Indian restaurants you can ever find.

# 56 Mercurydancer, so you come to Nottingham but didn't join us at the Nottstalgia meet-up. Shame on you. The Laguna is the only Indian we would bother with in town.

Last night we went to the Indian restaurant that last Monday won 2 awards ..... Best in East Midlands and also best in England. Gurkha One, used to be on Mansfield Road in Carrington but relocated to Rolleston near Newark in June. We ate in the restaurant several times when they were in Nottingham. The food is superb and they well deserve to get these awards. It's a bit of a trek from the City but so worth the effort, and they also have B & B for those customers who don't fancy driving home!

Like everything else time has changed it, remember from my Post Office engineering days in the 70's, when 4 or 5 PO eng vans would be there at 9-00am having our morning brekky before driving on to Derby or Ripley, Matlock, Bakewell or wherever we were supposed to be for the days work ahead, good times indeed.

On one cold morning we were all sitting there eating our sandwiches and drinking our mugs of tea and in walked our boss ! One of the brighter apprentices jumped up and said "hey up Gordon do you want a tea and a bacon sandwich" Gordon the boss just looked at us all and said "well I'd better had then" "are you buying"

We all had a laugh but then moved our morning brekky to the Spondon cafe a for a while, just in case !

Would that have been Gordon F-J? If so, he's still going strong.

A few years later, another BT manager was driving past and noticed a number of yellow vans parked outside. As engineers should have been working by then, he burst through the door and told the blokes there to "put the food down, get back to their vans and do some bloody work!"

The gas board workers were slightly bemused to be spoken-to like that by a complete stranger.

• Upvote 1

#59 Rob.L

No not that Gordon, this one has long since departed, his name was Gordon Taylor, but I think I know the one you mean too. In later years I ended up on BT as a Fitter based at Marmion Ave. TEC.

I went into a café and had a tea and scone - £2.50 The scone arrived and I ask where the butter was - they gave me one of those small packs and asked for another £1.25n and wanted me to pay another £1.50 for a small pot of jam!!!!

Lizzie

When I meant I was in Nottingham for a short time I meant a short time! I was driving back from London and called in about the half way point home. Why stop at a MaccyD's on the motorway when you can get to to city quickly and have much more of an enjoyable meal.

Tony Verma at the Laguna is an old friend. He couldnt give me a table as the Laguna was heaving. Not that Me'em Sahib was shabby at all.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If you didn't get a chance to visit this little "bijou" restaurant then I'm afraid you have missed that pleasure, serve yersen's right. Cos it is now closed.

It looks to me like the former pub the "Langham", that was infested with rats forty years ago too.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Cockroach-infested-Nottingham-restaurant-closed/story-27840618-detail/story.html

Soulville on queen street not bad,they have a jukebox,pics on the walls of soul singers.Lunchtime menu is I think £7.95,for two courses but limited choice,I've been may times the only meal I didn't like was vegetarian sausage and mash Very salty. Not been at night the price goes up then.,you have to book at night time,but can usually get in easily at lunch.I think the lunchtime price is good when you can pay as much for a cup of tea and a scone at some places.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

There's an article in the EP about Trattoria Conti that is sure to be of interest to NonnaB and her husband Alex. I have no idea how to put links on here though, maybe someone will do that.

• Upvote 1

http://www.nottinghampost.com/dishes-from-nottingham-s-smartest-gayest-restaurant-in-the-1960s-revived/story-29488059-detail/story.html

There you go Lizzie. Someone in France, saw an article in a Nottingham paper, and someone in Arizona copied it for someone in Italy!

• Upvote 2

Do any of you use the voucher type things you can get on your phones ? you can get some good deals,my sister and I usually meet up once a month we use a voucher mainly for a restaurant that we wouldn't normally eat because of the cost ,depends on the offers of course.

Many thanks Lizzie and Kath. It was very interesting except Conti's name is Ermete not Enzo. We still hear from him although hes not really well.

We had our wedding reception there in 1970. Alex has many tales to tell ( he could write a book) one of which were the waiters prancing around in ladies fur coats. It was a very posh place and frequented by many stars. On one occasion the Italian film star Franco Nero went and he wasnt wearing a tie . The waiters had to refuse him entry. I cant remember whether they lent him one or whether he went to put one on. Alex will be pleased to read this article and maybe he will have a few more tales to tell. I'll keep you posted. Just remembered another one. One regular customer had a wooden leg and Alex greeted him and his party. He took them to their table and at one point Alex was walking behind him. He iimitated him by limping, the custmer turned round quickly and it was too late for Alex to walk properly so he carried on limping. The customer asked him what the matter was was so he replied that he had hurt his leg.....the act had to be kept up all evening and Alex was getting very tired, so occasionally would change leg. Came the end of the evening when the customer was leaving he said to Alex " my word your leg must be very tired as you keep changing....you cheeky b.....er" Fortunately he took it in as a joke. A good customer and very well known person in Nottingham

• Upvote 2