I went into the Clifton Bridge Cafe early last year. I had an appointment somewhere and had a couple of hours to kill. It was around 1100 and I went into the cafe and had a full breakfast. The meal was cooked perfectly, not fatty, and was inexpensive. I was the only customer in the cafe and got into conversation with the owner. He told me that he had a few customers first thing in the morning, mainly truckers. He said that some truckers would regularly park there overnight and paid for the facility. After that he could go all day without a customer and so he started closing at lunchtime. What I can't understand is why his business was failing. The food was good at a good price. Location, access and parking for cars and HGV's were perfect, and just a stones throw from all the industrial estates. Maybe he didn't advertise it enough in the truckers magazines etc. Anyway, the old saying goes 'Use it or lose it'. Well, we've lost it.

• Upvote 2

Isn't that the "ponderosa"? Enjoyed many a saus' cob there in the mornings back in the 60s. It was always our first stop on the way to service calls on that side of town. Sad to think of it gone, it was always busy back in those days.

• Upvote 1

Isn't that the "ponderosa"? Enjoyed many a saus' cob there in the mornings back in the 60s. It was always our first stop on the way to service calls on that side of town. Sad to think of it gone, it was always busy back in those days.

Not quite, Ponderosa would be just out of shot at the bottom of the picture. But it does have a thread of its own. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13268&hl=

• 2 months later...

I'm amazed it lasted so long. It always seemed like a ghost town - a few balls of tumbleweed wouldn't have been amiss. Having said that I will miss it - its always been there. I moved to Clifton in 1964. I remember it featuring in a Z-Cars episode in the 1970s

• Upvote 1