Catfan! What a lovely surprise!

Well, Rameau isn't one of my favourites and the version played by the water clock was too fast and very tinny!  I think Kitten on the Keys or The Cat's Fugue would have been better!  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the front entrance says INTU, does the side exit say OUTOF?

An interesting article in the Nottingham Post today shows photos of the Victoria Centre construction. http://www.nottinghampost.com/pictures/Nottingham-s-Victoria-Centre-years-pictures/pictures-25712

In related news lets hope the latest plans for Broadmarsh Shopping Center go ahead

Much better speed, Enigma. Can sound a bit sewing machined if played without any expression.

I seem to recall playing it for an AB piano exam many many years ago. That's probably why I don't like it!

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that so much money was spent on the Victoria centre and then to leave the bridge exit in such a disgusting state makes no sense surely a set of doors and some paint would not trouble the budget  After all the present exit must be a health and safety risk to any shopper having the bottle to use it  At present it looks like a druggies paradise  meeowed

• 1 month later...

I see they are now going to close the bridge exit seems like giving in to the low life gathering round there  Well its only took two years to get this far with what was a basic security problem so I suppose that the Watson fothergill office has a while to run yet  meeowed

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

I thought we were blessed when Nottingham had two shopping Centres less than a mile apart.1477362.jpgWhen Victoria Centre came ..i didn't know myself, shopping out of the rain, relax, have a frothy coffee and climb the ramp onto Glasshouse St.and drive home.But living in town for the first two years of this centre..a decline and change in the way we shopped occured.Those who didn't or couldn't afford the rents and rates...which were high..(and rumoured that rich Arabs owned them)...got squeezed out.Shops and small Grocers on Mansfield Rd.began to close..this major thoroughfare became dusty & dirty.Even Parrs which was a stones throw from the new fruit and veg market looked jaded.Supermarkets..and there weren't many of them took in the slack, as bread, cake and Deli shops closed.

West End Arcade died overnight..Kings and Queens Walk suffered too. At one time the Pet Shop and Peppers seemed the only viable premises.

Scan, Peter Brown, Habitat, Westerner,Etam, Orange Hand, i'll leave it, Boots, Wimpy, Westerner, Mothercare, Jessops saw off competion and the Hockley area seemed to die a slow death.Eventually small independent shops and outlets became popular once more.

It will be interesting to see 'the New Broad Marsh Centre'..and how it will work.The strapline is "all shops lets are filled". Be interesting to see if the city can sustain to large shopping complex's.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

I remember Nonsuch - as 'Hairy' kids in Grantham (anyone remember Hairies? A now-forgotten youth culture between the hippy and punk eras), Nottingham was the 'promised land', and Nonsuch and 'the hippy shop' on the first floor of the Viccy were our primary targets, though Miss Selfridge in the Viccy and the original Chelsea Girl on Wheeler gate, as well as Sisson & Parker's and Blackwell's bookshops, and the original (tiny) Token House were also on our shopping itinerary. We ate in a first floor 'Tudor' restaurant on Upper Parliament St, on the north side of the road, can't recall the name.

In later years, I knew a guy who worked on the concrete shuttering when the Viccy was being built: according to him, someone misread the plans and the rear stairs were positioned the wrong way round (should have faced the rear entrance, not the front, as they did) - the concrete had been poured and had gone off before the error was found, so they were just left: I was highly amused that the replacements were put in correctly during the big revamp when the bus station went!

I personally liked the Food Court - working at Trent Poly at the time, it was handy for a variety of grub, especially Edward's Patisserie, which did a lot of Polish cakes, and which moved there from a dreadful street in Hockley (Broad or George, forget which), so I didn't have so far to go for lunch! Still miss both Edwards and the Food Court, though I no longer work in the city centre.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 1/2/2019 at 1:33 AM, Fishfinger said:

I remember Nonsuch - as 'Hairy' kids in Grantham (anyone remember Hairies? A now-forgotten youth culture between the hippy and punk eras), Nottingham was the 'promised land', and Nonsuch and 'the hippy shop' on the first floor of the Viccy were our primary targets, though Miss Selfridge in the Viccy and the original Chelsea Girl on Wheeler gate, as well as Sisson & Parker's and Blackwell's bookshops, and the original (tiny) Token House were also on our shopping itinerary. We ate in a first floor 'Tudor' restaurant on Upper Parliament St, on the north side of the road, can't recall the name.

In later years, I knew a guy who worked on the concrete shuttering when the Viccy was being built: according to him, someone misread the plans and the rear stairs were positioned the wrong way round (should have faced the rear entrance, not the front, as they did) - the concrete had been poured and had gone off before the error was found, so they were just left: I was highly amused that the replacements were put in correctly during the big revamp when the bus station went!

I personally liked the Food Court - working at Trent Poly at the time, it was handy for a variety of grub, especially Edward's Patisserie, which did a lot of Polish cakes, and which moved there from a dreadful street in Hockley (Broad or George, forget which), so I didn't have so far to go for lunch! Still miss both Edwards and the Food Court, though I no longer work in the city centre.

I remember Non Such..squishy badges containing oil & paint..on the right person they were fascinating at the time..didn't they also have a shop on Bridlesmith Gate?

• 1 year later...

Thanks, but no thanks. Mid September is a bit too early for Christmas, for my taste.

Looked like a mixture of cine, vhs and early digital filming. Needed a commentary.

9 hours ago, Boris The Bear said:

Ok so not actually inside Vic centre but right outside Lol can anyone remember what the carpet shop across the road from the main entrance used to be called? It was where Burger King is now. I think it was a Wimpy for a short while before it became BK.

Could've been Hopewells.

7UZstib.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
On 12/9/2007 at 3:45 PM, Beefsteak said:

I think the entrance to the bus station was upstairs and the supermarket that was downstairs was called 'Scan'

Could be wrong..Wasn't this also called 'One Stop" about ? Got an Admiral England kit for Chrimbo? very itchy, think the material was a  'sweat reliever'. Badge transfer soon came off in the wash!!

On 6/27/2009 at 12:56 AM, RockitRon said:

Tales abounded of people jumping off various levels, and of residents of the 26th floor having to hold on for dear life when the wind blew, but I never actually witnessed anything of the sort.

Do you remember the chap that, who saw his car being stolen, took to the outside scaffolding in his underwear?

Passed by my mates window about 3.30am...bizarre sight...

We thought nothing of it at the time! smile2

• 3 years later...

Very sad ....used to enjoy Vic centre.....many years ago......

Our Grandkids are growing up in a different world.......

Also liked Central Market.......bit of everything in there...........

The Shopping Centre (as opposed to the Market) seems to be just about managing to survive. When the Market has gone, I suspect the rest will follow not long after.

The whole situation is like Broad Marsh Centre around 15 years ago. And look how that ended up.