Adblock+ Kill those Pop-Ups !

As the title says, if you havn't seen the chat about this free program originally what Banjo48 told us about, it is a great FREE program to get rid of annoying pop-ups.

I have it installed on 2 desktops & 2 chromebooks, running between them Firefox,IE 11 & Google Chrome browsers, all work fine.

https://adblockplus.org/

• Upvote 1

As I also said in the other post I downloaded it and got trouble. I downloaded it from CNet that I have used many times without problems. DO NOT download Adblocker from CNet as it is obviously riddled with problems. I may well have another go using Catfans link.

Being almost totally computer illiterate, I installed Adblocker and finished up with dozens of unwanted advertising sites and sites supposedly offering me a computer repair service. It then took me ages to delete them from my laptop but am still getting a site called Reimage Repair cropping up all the time which I cannot get rid of, so am very wary of trying to install any other "help" programmes.

if somethings mucked up your search engines in google chrome then click on settings and manage search engines - there should only be one showing what ever your preference is mine is google - also check the setting for start up in google chrome - click on open specific pages again mine is set to google home page

I want a blocker to stop the EU Cookie notices.... 'This site uses Cookies Do you agree? Click yes for yes, Click no for no', more of a nuisance than the cookies they tell you about.

This site sets harmless cookies to prevent you reading content you already read... Keep up!

if you goto settings in google chrome and then extensions and click on get more extensions then in the search box type adblock - you want the 4th icon down under extensions https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/adblock?hl=en-US

Just set it up using Enigma1st method above. Brilliant. Went to Post website and it swallowed 2 dozen adverts straight away.

• Upvote 1

I've used AdBlockerPlus for quite a while and not had any problems with it.

Also, for anyone who uses Facebook, I'd recommend FBPurity. It's free and stops all those annoying adverts which have become increasingly prevalent since Facebook was floated on the stock exchange and is now totally profit motivated.

• Upvote 1

Adblocker is available for Ipad as an app, but the downside is you have to open the app to then browse the net via the app. bit clunky in my opinion unless you use the paid version.

Benn using FB purity for a while now too, only go to FB to see how our kids and grandkids are doing, they seem to live their lives on it !

I just detest any adds, even more so those that come with free Ipad apps. I recently wanted a photo share app, to share our photos between two Iphones and two Ipads, what a palaver ! I ended up deleting all after installation due to banner adds across the screen.

Ended up paying $3-99 for Photo Sync, just because it is free of the damn things. But at least it works.

Doubt if I will ever buy another Ipad. I quite like it but get tired of having to do stuff through Itunes and no ability to plug in an SD card or other memory device. Just bought the wife a Samsung Galaxy tab for Christmas. Works as well as the Ipad, cheaper, can use SD cards etc. Why put more money in Apple's pocket? They seem to be getting like another high profile PC maker. Planned obsolescence and more $ for everything.

• 2 months later...