Golf really is a stupid game, however millions play it and it earns billions in revenue. Why?

I started playing golf in my 30's just to do something after being advised to stop bike racing. Stuck at it for a couple of years and got down to 16 handicap. Then I packed in due to family expenses + I was getting bored with what I thought of as an old man's game.

Well, I'm an old man now and just started playing again. It's still a stupid game though kickme .

• Upvote 2

It is stupid!!!!! A good walk ruined as Oscar Wilde used to say.

I started playing about twenty years ago and was quite a fanatic for a while. I'd be on the course rain or shine. The pro took a lot of my money in tuition fees. To no avail, I was simply crap at it. So I gave up.

I don't even like Crazy Golf. I am the one walking round the Crazy Golf at the Seaside, with a miserable face, no smile, Negative answers and taking side swipes at the ball, knowing full well its going to hit some obstacle and then fly off across the path with me doing a kevin shrug and slow walk to retrieve it.

Who bloomin invented it in the first place. They must have had a warped sense of humour.

They must have known that Nannars and Granddads would be blackmailed for eternity with (Oh Come On Nannar, Just a Quick Game) Huh. OK, only if we can have a Cream Donut and Cuppa afterwards. Oh Shurrup kids. My turn now. HaHa. Only Teasing.

slywink

• Upvote 3

Donuts, that's the best thing at the seaside !!!!!!

I played for years when I lived in SA (and the US) basically 'cos there was nowt else to do. I came back to the UK playing off 6 and was a member at Chilwell Manor. I played regularly but got sucked off with the weather and just walked off the course in the middle of a match one Sunday afternoon, Forest were playing Liverpool on the telly which was much more inviting, and never went back. It is a stupid game and the UK weather doesn't enhance it any.

Yes like snooker and darts :sleeping:

Sorry kids, I like to play by golf. Not particularly good at it, but I have a good time. I didn't learn till age 44 (also didn't learn to ski till 40, late starter in both) and joined a ladies club at the very laid-back local course. The kind where to take a 6 pack of beer along is the norm! We ladies chat as we go, and have a good time. Now I'm down south I have another group of girls to play with, again very casual. Can't afford to join the hoity-toity clubs, and wouldn't want to. It should be fun.

Got friendly with a guy from Scotland in the same trade as myself. He was a keen golfer and persuaded me to go for a round with him in Calgary. Out in the middle of the course we were overtaken by a thunderstorm. Visions of fried socks went through my head. I enjoy doing stuff with friends, but that was the last time for golf. Just a big waste of time, to me.

In the early 1980's Radcliffe on Trent golf club had an open day, both me and my father went to visit and were instructed on how to play the game, well my father liked golf a lot and took it up, but as for me, despite going several times to try to learn to play? I never was any good, and lost more balls than could afford, so I gave up and just enjoyed the offerings in the clubhouse bar, until my subscription ran out.

In the early 1980's Radcliffe on Trent golf club had an open day, both me and my father went to visit and were instructed on how to play the game, well my father liked golf a lot and took it up, but as for me, despite going several times to try to learn to play? I never was any good, and lost more balls than could afford, so I gave up and just enjoyed the offerings in the clubhouse bar, until my subscription ran out.

My ex brother in law belonged to Radcliife on Trent Cricket Club in the 70/80's, he was called Philip Woodhead - His dad was Frank Woodhead who was Cricket Coach for Notts County Cricket Club....................You may know him......

Yes, a load of balls.

Little balls too.........

• Upvote 1

My ex brother in law belonged to Radcliife on Trent Cricket Club in the 70/80's, he was called Philip Woodhead - His dad was Frank Woodhead who was Cricket Coach for Notts County Cricket Club....................You may know him......

Philip Woodhead, rings a distant bell, but I cannot remember his dad Frank......The only Frank I remember was Frank Peterson, who worked for BBC radio Nottingham, as a sound engineer.....

• Upvote 1

Philip Woodhead, rings a distant bell, but I cannot remember his dad Frank......The only Frank I remember was Frank Peterson, who worked for BBC radio Nottingham, as a sound engineer.....

They were avid cricketers, it was their life, also a Dave Marriott belonged to that club, he was a barber...............