does anyone remember the Bamboo coffee bar at the top of Mansfield Road ,near Forest Rd junction in the late 60s early 70s ?

• Upvote 1

I remember going to the Bamboo as far back as the early sixties.......Always went there after the Ice Stadium and the Bowling Alley.........Stayed open very late, we use to sit on the floor, have a Horlicks and a chat before going home late.........A bit hippyish, I liked the fella's in there........There used a be a bloke playing the guitar, cannot remember his name, but he resembled Manfred Mann...........Also there was similar place near Canning Circus, Alfreton Road, cannot remember the name, went there a lot as well.............

does anyone remember the Bamboo coffee bar at the top of Mansfield Road ,near Forest Rd junction in the late 60s early 70s ?

If you put "Bamboo" in the Search box at the top right, you'll get at least 28 results, which include the Coffee Bar threads mentioned by katyjay.

• Like 1

And me! Well, I was never much good at skating but loved 10-Pin Bowling, went there every Sunday afternoon and when I started work in 67 we had a bowling league on a Friday lunchtime, always found time for a chip cob too!

• Upvote 3

I was at the Ice Stadium around 3 times a week from around 63/66 and the bowling Alley, went in the Cricketers Pub too as well as the Bamboo.......We hung around with a crowd from Southwell..............Maybe we knew one another then, we came from Hucknall..............

I skated twice a week, Tuesday night I think and Saturday night, when they had the games on the ice. I'd say from 1963 to 65. Used to be a supporter of the ice racing club too. Then changed allegiance to the bowling alley around 65 till 68, and worked some nights behind the bar in the clubhouse. Great times there with great people.

• Upvote 1

Blondie (#9), I assume you mean the Old Cricket Players which was across the road from the Ice Stadium. Can you remember a chap called Wally who always stood at the bar, next to the juke box, with his wife? He always used to put 'From A Jack To A King' by Roger Miller on the juke box. Isn't it strange how you remember these little details after all these years. Every time I went in they were always there. My mates and I always used to enjoy a few games of table skittles.

Don't recollect the Bamboo coffee bar, but used to be at the Ice stadium regularly, in the early 60's.

Was there the night Kennedy was shot standing in the skate shop waiting for my hockey skates to be sharpened. Saw it on a little black and white tv the shop chap had on at the rear. Amazing how most can remember where they were when that happened.

The new years eve celebrations at the ice stadium were fantastic.

Sorry to go OT here, the chap did used to wear a bow tie Michael, another memory you have jogged.

Bit warm in Bunbury WA today Trevor ! never mind P Hedland . My grandkids often go ice skating in Perth. Wouldn't trust myself on skates anymore, we tend to break too easily at our tender age.

Mind, one of my daughters little ones did a back flip off the trampoline when his sister jumped on, he ended up with a compound fracture and spent yesterday in surgery ! poor little soul, only 2 years old and cannot understand what's happened to him. He's in plaster up to his shoulder now.

• Upvote 1

Mid 1960s bowled inside the alley regularly (money permitting) and it was there I met the most gorgeous French girl on some kind of exchange visit. She altered my life!

I sat outside the alley perched on my scooter posing with many others of the Outlaws ........... I seem to recall a route for the scoot, Slab Square, bowling alley, Trinity Square café. Heady days!

charlie who sharpend the skates also worked in skate hire and the burger bar burgers made with sausage meat lived in netherfield both he and the guy who worked in skate sales shop used to wear bow ties.

I'm sure that Charlie only worked in the sales office at the bottom of the stairs. The burger bar was run by a chap called Ralph.

I can remember Ralph from the burger bar...........

• 5 years later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to bamboo coffee bar

The same Ray Holland ran a café on Pelham Street some years later; early 1970s I think.  It was near the top, maybe where Wired coffee shop is now (No.42).  I remember whitewashing the basement store rooms with my brother and being rewarded with apple pie and ice cream.  Any idea what that café was called back in the day?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...