Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s

Hi,

Does anyone remember Colmans Dance studio ? in centre of Nottm. You turned 1st left after the Black Boy Hotel left I used to go there twice weekly when I was 17 1963/4 cant remember the address but it was down a little entry. They only served soft drinks and snacks so if you wanted a drink you had to go to a pub ?around the corner. The dance floor was on the 2nd floor coffee/ snacks on the ground floor, there was a stage but it was mainly disco all the lads would circle the floor picking up courage to ask a lass to dance

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having never heard of Jacobys  I decided to look it up on t'interweb and learned a lot more about Nottingham that I did not know   Jacobys was a lace manufacturer founded by Moritz Jacoby an

Found this on internet some time ago of when the Lace Market factories were working.  

If you click on Trogg's image, you get an enlarged version.   It's taken on Broad Street, looking towards Stoney Street.  The surrounding buildings haven't changed much.  

Micky remembers going to Coleman's for individual ballroom dance lessons with Aubrey Coleman in the later 60s or early 70s. I also remember my sister going there on I think Saturday mornings. Micky has just said, does anyone remember Mrs Varton's dancing classes held at the YMCA during school holidays?

I seem to remember Coleman's being used for some band gigs in probably the late 70s. I think I saw Dr Feelgood and Gong there.

Remember Colemans well, it was one of the first expedition for us young fellers to the nightlife in the big smoke !

One of our mates met a girl first night and that was it ! he went out with her for ages and then they married later, it was the first girl/boy relationship for both of them.

When I went came back a few years ago,I bumped into him on Mapperley tops, and they are still together, or were. He ran his dads building business which used to be at the top of Westdale lane.

Think Colemans is mentioned elswhere here in another thread.

Do know that Enid Coleman moved to Mapperley and opened another dance studio above the "new" Co-op building, went a few times in later years there but no ambience like the old one in Maypole yard.

Trying to remember the name of the pub just round the corner where we used to pop down for our bitter shandy's :-).

Yeh!I too remember Colemans during the late 50s met some nice girls there that worked as hairdressers for my brother it was a good line for a pick up and one thought she would become a member of the family as my brother wasn't short of a quid had 11 salons.

My brother used to work at a club called the 8 till late, on stanford street. I used to go and help him during the school holidays. The draymen usually delivered first thing in the morning. They always had a free pint each waiting when they had finished and would drink it before leaving, even though it was only 9 am.

I went in The 8 Till Late just the once on the night when I had just been up to firs maternity hospital to see my wife and our newly born daughter that would make it Dec 28th 1970, went to find an old mate to tell him I had become a father. It didn't have the same atmosphere as when it had been the Dungeon or maybe it was me and I was just not the same person anymore.

Thank you all for replies re Colmans What a great bunch you are !!!wish i could remember the name of that pub around the corner?Keith

I think you are probably thinking of the Crystal Palace or Corner Pin.

• Upvote 2

funny that this subject comes up again now while we were at rockers reunion this weekend some of us got to talking about various clubs in nottingham at that time there was quite a long conversation about them some of the girls and a few guys were mods at the time so knew a lot of the mod clubs

• 4 months later...

I went to the Boat regularly early seventies to see live bands on Sunday nights, some huge names played there, Led Zep twice.

I also liked the Union a lot, great music and atmosphere. Never really got on with the Brit.

Loads of comment on the rowing clubs previously.

Regularly went to the Boat, saw The Who there, knew Smiley on the door (Pete Hubbard) very well, Pete opened the Bier Keller later, Keith Symons (bit of a twerp) he then opened the Beachcomber, where I did cloakroom and glass collecting for a while, when they first opened.

Had some amazing times at the Boat and occasionally the Union, and outside when we met a young lady of our dreams, or thought she was ! Went to some great parties also from contacts at the boat club(s).

Memories eh !

Yep, I saw Led Zeppelin, Juicy Lucy, Uriah Heep (I think) Canned Heat and lot's more at the Boat. As I recall it was rock at the Boat, soul at the Union and crap at the Brit (pop stuff)

My favourite was the Beach though, always there on a Friday and Sunday. The Dungeon was good as well especially the all nighters.

BeestonMick, I only went to the Brit once and didn't like it. Never went to the boat although my brother went a lot but he was into heavy metal and rock. I went twice a week to the Union, DJ Petal was spinning the vinyl then and remember dancing with many on the stage.

Apart from the Dungeon Club during my early clubbing days the Ad-Lib in the Lace Market was the place for me which l frequented when l was older, DJ was Charlie Brown, Paul's brother.

Also for soul music was the Boat in Newark on Trent in the 70's and the DJ played some of the best soul music l have heard outside the Twisted Wheel and Blackpool Mecca

• Like 1

I went to the Brit and Boat clubs in the 60's - it was our summertime haunt......we used to get a pass and go to the Trent Bridge Inn to drink, which we called the TBI.......HAPPY DAYS.......

Yes, I used all three from time to time in the late 60's and early 70's.

Saw Taste, featuring the late great Rory Gallagher, The Nice, Deep Purple, Family, Jethro Tull, Tim Rose, Jeff Beck Group, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zep, TYA, Edgar Broughton, Aynsley Dunbar and many, many more.

Great days for REAL music..

• Upvote 1

Some great names there Basfordred! I was a regular around the same time as you. Whenever I tell people about seeing the Jeff Beck Group I always say I remember Rod Stewart wearing a yellow vest (not t-shirt) while on stage. Other bands were Savoy Brown, John Mayall with Mick Taylor and a very young Andy Fraser (Free) on bass and If, who must have been on one of their first gigs, 'cos the vocalist was reading the lyrics from a sheet of paper! We used to nip across Trent Bridge to the Town Arms at "halftime" to cool down a bit. And John McVie used to pull his cheeks and make a filthy noise in the mic' during Shake Your Moneymaker, remember that?

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s