Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s

Seen those too. Jeff Beck was my fav at the time, Rod, Ronnie and Aynsley. I was once nearly totally deaf for days after leaning on the amps.

Great days never to be repeated mores the pity.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having never heard of Jacobys  I decided to look it up on t'interweb and learned a lot more about Nottingham that I did not know   Jacobys was a lace manufacturer founded by Moritz Jacoby an

Found this on internet some time ago of when the Lace Market factories were working.  

If you click on Trogg's image, you get an enlarged version.   It's taken on Broad Street, looking towards Stoney Street.  The surrounding buildings haven't changed much.  

Yes, I never really thought of the cost, but they must have been cheapish. I went to those clubs regularly when I was still at school. I only had a part-time job, so not much money, but still managed a great time.

I've never ever considered the cost when in pursuit of good music.

• 4 weeks later...

Has any one been to the Boat Club in the 1970s? Specially on a Sunday evening

...with dubious music although some amazing artists

Me? I saw Howlin Wolf TWICE!!

Has any one been to the Boat Club in the 1970s? Specially on a Sunday evening

...with dubious music although some amazing artists

Me? I saw Howlin Wolf TWICE!!

Not me, I preferred next door at the Union, my brother used the Boat but he had a weird taste in music anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have posted this on here before, for those of you who haven't seen it, my memory of an epic night.

bc1.jpg

Ticket 263 incidentally, was the first one issued, I'd just spent the Sunday afternoon helping Renaissance set up their equipment, when the doors were about to open, the manager suggested I nipped downstairs and got my ticket for the following weeks event from the desk, it was free.

• Like 1

Ooh, I absolutely looooved the Union with DJ Petal. He certainly helped form my music taste in the early/mid 70s. Leon Russell, Roll Away the Stone (not the Mott the Hoople song), Taj Mahal, Statesboro Blues,, Chicken Shack, Tears in the Wind, Chicago, 25 or 6 to 4 and Ides of March, Vehicle to name just a few. Songs you never hear played the radio. How about you Nottinghamians? Any tracks that you remember that seem to have got lost in time?

Here's a few of the regulars I remember played early to mid seventies:

Steely Dan - Do it again, Jo Jo Gunne - Run Run Run, Led Zeppelin - Black Dog, Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side, Ramsey Lewis - Wade in the Water, Van Morrison - Baby Please Don't Go, The Hollies - Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress, Rod Stewart - Mandolin Wind ( nice for a smooch until it speeded up at the end!)

Here's one for you. Always towards the end, Slow dances :)

This is real Talent by the way, I defy you to tell the difference between this live performance by James and vinyl.

More to come...

I went regularly in the late 60's early 70's - met lots of groups there who later became famous.....................

• 3 weeks later...

What was that fella's name that used to walk round the pubs giving out free entry tickets for mid week nights to the Hippo, Ad Lib & i think Pigalle, always smartly dressed, always seemed to call into the Flying Horse

It's on the tip of my tongue?

Some of my stag night 1967 was spent at the Calypso club, just behind the Cross Keys on High Pavement, which we enjoyed and called at many times after. We were usually the only white folk at this mainly Jamaican club. The regulars were surprised, but seemed to view as " if they dare come in here.. they must be OK"

One night a huge white guy was in the club and followed me to the toilet. He cornered me and asked if he could get any "smokes" in the club. I told him he could get some from behind the bar.. "What can I get"? he asked. "No 6 ; Embassy; Gold Leaf", says I... He did not seem amused. He obviously had not been with the drug squad very long !

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I went a lot in the 1960's......Had some great times there.............

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s