Anybody used the Brit, Boat and Union & other clubs?

If you dislike a particular topic they don't go in & read. Same as a particular pub, shop, supermarket etc etc etc .

Not everyone as seen every bus owned by NCT at every bus stop, new members are finding all these pictures very interesting esp if they like buses.

I see pictures of buses posted on here which I find nostalgic having driven them years ago.

• Like 1
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember my first visit to the Brit. It was summer 1967, I was just 17yrs old.  After a couple of pints with my mates at the TBI .....owooch ....2/6d ! for a pint of Double Diamond (usually 1/10d at

I've looked back at the posts that mention you by name Ian and can see no reason for you to request the removal of any of the posts. There are three instances I can see, Lizzie one and Margie two

You have every right not to be interested, Ian, but it's a shame.   I think it's good to listen to other people's opinions and, in so doing, sometimes learn something about ourselves.      I

I didn't say I disliked the topic per se and I look because there may be something worth seeing. You like a picture of a bus at a bus stop and that's fine, I'm just saying for me and I suspect others, it's a case of see one, see them all.

• Like 1

As most people have stated CF, there's something for everyone, but in moderation !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I said at the beginning of the day, it's purely my observations, and NOT my personal opinion. However certain folks seem aggrieved, but as I said. Just my observations.

• Like 1

Ian, I think you are no better and no worse a person than any other member on here, including myself.   I don't think anyone (and certainly not me) is personally attacking your character.   

It would just be nice if the input could be slowed down a bit, so as the slower ones amongst us could keep up!    All those great photos  of old Nottingham won't spoil if they are rationed out a bit.  

This is just  my opinion, of course....  I reckon all the food for a feast doesn't need to be put on the table at once!   It's better to take time and digest things properly.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, catfan said:

And that includes silly word games !

Hi Mick.

I'm not into word games either, but they've never bothered me.  Live and let live I've always said.  I've always enjoyed your posts and the photos you occasionally post.

Re. The Ipads

Quote...........That's not a forum problem FLY, it's them silly ipads, can't keep up with things, overpriced & can't do the job !

I use mine all the time for a quick check of new posts.  Works great, but I can't read the music threads either.  Never have problems on any other forums and many of them have music, videos etc.  It has always worked well for me and I did not consider it overpriced.   Works better than my laptop for YT videos.

• Working for Air Canada, as I did, I have all kinds of photos of various types of planes from a Lockheed Electra to a DC9 and a Jumbo.  Hangars cockpits etc. Even home movies of such.   I don't post 'em because I doubt that most here would be interested and I don't blame 'em.  There are sites, I'm sure that might like them, but I'm not a pilot so I don't go there.  I'd be out of my depth.

My attitude is like Margie's  (previous post)  I have no personal hostility towards anybody.  I just don't come here much anymore, though I miss it.  I've always enjoyed the interaction on here.  I may not agree with all and I don't expect them to agree with me .

This is not even an issue of attack or defense.  Just a simple matter of concern for the like / dislikes of all.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

You lot play catch up..or ignore..not interested Margie...

You have every right not to be interested, Ian, but it's a shame.   I think it's good to listen to other people's opinions and, in so doing, sometimes learn something about ourselves.   

I apologise if what I said  didn't go down well with you - it was certainly not meant to upset you.

i don't know how to delete the video below... sorry.  It came up when I quoted your last post and has no relevance to this reply

I AM interested in the well being of all those who post on here - many of whom I consider to be my friends..

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

It would just be nice if the input could be slowed down a bit, so as the slower ones amongst us could keep up!    All those great photos  of old Nottingham won't spoil if they are rationed out a bit.  

Totally agree with Margie here, in fact I think I commented in a similar vane when you got the ‘ump a couple of months ago Ian.  You’re finding some fantastic photos but not giving anyone chance to digest and comment, which surely is what Nottstalgia is all about.  I couldn’t care less how many photos of buses you post because they don’t interest me so I don’t look at them. However, buses do interest a lot of members so that’s wonderful.  

As for the music videos, I don’t bother with them because they’re mainly artists I don’t even know, being an oldie my preference will always be 60s stuff and Motown. If I want music I play a CD, turn on the radio or tell Alexa to get going.  But there again, I think a few Nottstalgians will probably enjoy the videos.  

So, just carry on as you are, you’re keeping a lot of folk interested and no doubt Nottstalgia is a lifeline to several people who are perhaps lonely and feel they belong to a little community.   

• Like 3

Afraid that I fall into one of those that you mention in your last para Lizzie, and unfortunately( if it is ) do have time to consider the photos, some of areas that I don't know, others which bring back good recollections and memories. Don't know if there is anyone else like me who had no particular interest in buses until I started looking at the photos on here, perhaps because I have the time so to do, but always had an interest in classic cars and other vehicles.

Edit: Keeping on topic, never had the finances to go to any clubs!

• Like 5

I've looked back at the posts that mention you by name Ian and can see no reason for you to request the removal of any of the posts.

There are three instances I can see, Lizzie one and Margie two. I doubt you would take umbrage at Lizzies post so that leaves Margie as the only other poster to mention you by name in this topic.

Reading both posts, one stresses that the post is not an attack on your character and the second is actually an apology if you have misunderstood her intentions, even though your reply was quite rude,

How is this besmirching your character?

As for bullying I have to say that in this instance you, with your passive aggressive post, is the bully. You know that Margie is a gentle soul (a far better person than I) who tries to see the good in everyone. You also know your post will upset her and discourage her from expressing her opinion - and that's just not right, it's bullying!

We had an interesting discussion recently about freedom of speech and the general consensus was it's fine if there is no hatred or incitement to violence. Whether anyone agrees with the posts or not, Margie has the right to an opinion and should feel free to express it without being castigated by you or anyone else.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Talking of Van Der Graaf, I was sat in the Bell one Saturday lunchtime with the usual crowd, when my mate Rob Hayes (RIP) asked if I fancied going to see them that evening.

Turned out they were on at Hammersmith Odeon, so we quickly finished our pints and ran to the station, jumped on the train then tube, and made it to the gig just in time. 

Another sprint after the gig saw us getting to St Pancras with seconds to spare before the last train then a walk home to Mapperley.

Boy, was I knackered!

• Like 2
  • 9 months later...

I loved the Boat Clubs.

Spectacular Sunday nights.

On 1/19/2015 at 9:32 AM, mick2me said:

Here's one for you. Always towards the end, Slow dances :)

This is real Talent by the way, I defy you to tell the difference between this live performance by James and vinyl.

More to come...

Beautiful song sung to perfection ❤️

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I remember my first visit to the Brit. It was summer 1967, I was just 17yrs old.  After a couple of pints with my mates at the TBI .....owooch ....2/6d ! for a pint of Double Diamond (usually 1/10d at the local; Just thought...was that legal? ....anyway, who was bothered in 1967! ) So, I was 'invited' to attend my first club/disco by my more experienced compadres. They led the way, swaggered down the side of the Trent to the 3 greatest clubs to ever exist, The Boat, Union and the Brit! we approached the Brit. I remember the Motown sound blasting ( 'Take me into your arms and love me"....by Gladys Knight & the Pips)  from two huge Whafedale Speakers positioned outside, each side of the entrance. Never forgot the thrill as the music got louder as we got nearer. 

Thus began my introduction to the best music Motown/Soul/Blues I ever experienced! Over the next 18 months I was a regular attendee of the Brit with the occasional spin off to the Boat and the Union.

I saw Rod with Ronnie, Nice, The Foundations, Jeff Beck, Long John Baldry, Family, P.P.Arnold, John Mayall, Crazy world of Arthur Brown and many others.

Now at 70yrs,  (2020)  ! still remember my 'Mod' days as clear as if I were 17 again! ...........................Great days, great memories 

• Like 9

I was probably there at many of the same concerts.  I wasn't a full on Mod.. not a rocker either and certainly not a weekend Hippy with a Tricel choker.  I suppose I'd characterise my style as 'Beat'.

Fabulous times at the boat clubs and also the Beachcomber.

Ohh... for a time machine...:(