BeestonMick

Anybody used the Brit, Boat and Union & other clubs?

I went to the Boat regularly early seventies to see live bands on Sunday nights, some huge names played there, Led Zep twice.

I also liked the Union a lot, great music and atmosphere. Never really got on with the Brit.

Loads of comment on the rowing clubs previously.

Regularly went to the Boat, saw The Who there, knew Smiley on the door (Pete Hubbard) very well, Pete opened the Bier Keller later, Keith Symons (bit of a twerp) he then opened the Beachcomber, where I did cloakroom and glass collecting for a while, when they first opened.

Had some amazing times at the Boat and occasionally the Union, and outside when we met a young lady of our dreams, or thought she was ! Went to some great parties also from contacts at the boat club(s).

Memories eh !

Yep, I saw Led Zeppelin, Juicy Lucy, Uriah Heep (I think) Canned Heat and lot's more at the Boat. As I recall it was rock at the Boat, soul at the Union and crap at the Brit (pop stuff)

My favourite was the Beach though, always there on a Friday and Sunday. The Dungeon was good as well especially the all nighters.

BeestonMick, I only went to the Brit once and didn't like it. Never went to the boat although my brother went a lot but he was into heavy metal and rock. I went twice a week to the Union, DJ Petal was spinning the vinyl then and remember dancing with many on the stage.

Apart from the Dungeon Club during my early clubbing days the Ad-Lib in the Lace Market was the place for me which l frequented when l was older, DJ was Charlie Brown, Paul's brother.

Also for soul music was the Boat in Newark on Trent in the 70's and the DJ played some of the best soul music l have heard outside the Twisted Wheel and Blackpool Mecca

• Like 1

I went to the Brit and Boat clubs in the 60's - it was our summertime haunt......we used to get a pass and go to the Trent Bridge Inn to drink, which we called the TBI.......HAPPY DAYS.......

Yes, I used all three from time to time in the late 60's and early 70's.

Saw Taste, featuring the late great Rory Gallagher, The Nice, Deep Purple, Family, Jethro Tull, Tim Rose, Jeff Beck Group, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zep, TYA, Edgar Broughton, Aynsley Dunbar and many, many more.

Great days for REAL music..

• Upvote 1

Some great names there Basfordred! I was a regular around the same time as you. Whenever I tell people about seeing the Jeff Beck Group I always say I remember Rod Stewart wearing a yellow vest (not t-shirt) while on stage. Other bands were Savoy Brown, John Mayall with Mick Taylor and a very young Andy Fraser (Free) on bass and If, who must have been on one of their first gigs, 'cos the vocalist was reading the lyrics from a sheet of paper! We used to nip across Trent Bridge to the Town Arms at "halftime" to cool down a bit. And John McVie used to pull his cheeks and make a filthy noise in the mic' during Shake Your Moneymaker, remember that?

• Upvote 1

Seen those too. Jeff Beck was my fav at the time, Rod, Ronnie and Aynsley. I was once nearly totally deaf for days after leaning on the amps.

Great days never to be repeated mores the pity.

Yes, I never really thought of the cost, but they must have been cheapish. I went to those clubs regularly when I was still at school. I only had a part-time job, so not much money, but still managed a great time.

I've never ever considered the cost when in pursuit of good music.

Has any one been to the Boat Club in the 1970s? Specially on a Sunday evening

...with dubious music although some amazing artists

Me? I saw Howlin Wolf TWICE!!

Has any one been to the Boat Club in the 1970s? Specially on a Sunday evening

...with dubious music although some amazing artists

Me? I saw Howlin Wolf TWICE!!

Not me, I preferred next door at the Union, my brother used the Boat but he had a weird taste in music anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have posted this on here before, for those of you who haven't seen it, my memory of an epic night.

bc1.jpg

Ticket 263 incidentally, was the first one issued, I'd just spent the Sunday afternoon helping Renaissance set up their equipment, when the doors were about to open, the manager suggested I nipped downstairs and got my ticket for the following weeks event from the desk, it was free.

• Like 1

Ooh, I absolutely looooved the Union with DJ Petal. He certainly helped form my music taste in the early/mid 70s. Leon Russell, Roll Away the Stone (not the Mott the Hoople song), Taj Mahal, Statesboro Blues,, Chicken Shack, Tears in the Wind, Chicago, 25 or 6 to 4 and Ides of March, Vehicle to name just a few. Songs you never hear played the radio. How about you Nottinghamians? Any tracks that you remember that seem to have got lost in time?

Here's a few of the regulars I remember played early to mid seventies:

Steely Dan - Do it again, Jo Jo Gunne - Run Run Run, Led Zeppelin - Black Dog, Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side, Ramsey Lewis - Wade in the Water, Van Morrison - Baby Please Don't Go, The Hollies - Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress, Rod Stewart - Mandolin Wind ( nice for a smooch until it speeded up at the end!)

Here's one for you. Always towards the end, Slow dances :)

This is real Talent by the way, I defy you to tell the difference between this live performance by James and vinyl.

More to come...

Only petal could get away with playing this and fill the stage with dancers for 12 minutes.

Ye Ye De Smell!