What A Merry Christmas

Don't think I'm being racist, but if they're had been no European intervention in Africa, then they would still be living like savages.

We were invaded by the Romans who brought with them things they had learned from the Greeks and even the Chinese.

The Africans have taken in nothing whatsoever from their European colonists.

Can you tell me anything in use today which was invented by a sub Saharan African ?

• Upvote 1

The fact remains, whatever you feel, these poor people are starving..........they have no future to invest in , and we as humane citizens should try, or at least understand how we can help.

I think you've put your finger on the nub. They have no future to invest in but from years back, they've never invested in the future - i.e. today. Money has always been thrown into the problem; how else do we help?

I have asked the question to well known charities,what precentage goes to the people it was donated to ,quite often after initially trying to avoid the question those percentages are very low,the good people of this country have given for years ,and I would like to guess most reading this have given to some overseas charity at some time,but what really anoys me is that certain people think every problem in the wolrld is ours,you can only educate people that want to be educated

and no matter how loud you shout,people have to help themselves.

Switch on your TV on sunday and listen to the queues of people ready to knock us ,we are human to and a thank you would not go amiss,then

I am sure we will be queuing to give.

I bet most donations go on inflated salaries for the UK execs. Arms and whisky for the War Lords.

Bring back the Empire!!!!!

• Upvote 1

A few years back I was working with a builder in Nottingham Park. The job was to help install a fabulous kitchen, the units were all individual made to measure, granite shaped worktops, even the radiators were made of reconstituted stone. Total cost with the building works well over £60k.

Imagine my surprise when it transpired that in this millionaires house both husband and wife were directors of the ........................Red Cross.

Nobody with any ounce of humanity cannot be touched by the images seen on tv daily. But what is the answer?

The biggest issue has always been the lack of family planning. Contraception is widely available through aid agencies but is just not used, because of entrenched social factors. Until this dilemma is solved, things will never improve.

Aid literally pours into Africa! It just doesn't get to where it should. It's misspent and syphoned off.

The governments are either incompetent or corrupt, or both. In some countries there is no effective governement.

Without dealing with these issues, it's banging heads against a brick wall.

And just an anecdote to ponder on. Back in the eighties I worked in London selling electrical products. One day a black Mercedes limousine with diplomatic plates stopped outside. Two obviously well-fed and immaculately-dressed Africans got out and entered our shop. Very happy, gregarious people, they purchased top of the range tv's, vcrs and hifi and arranged for their delivery. When asked how they would be paying they said cash. One opened his Gucci briefcase and it was like something out of the films, packed with bundles upon bundles of cash, all banded fresh from the bank.

Now, I don't know where that money originated from. But the following year when Live Aid appeared, that incident gave me cause for consideration.

• Upvote 2

If you can't feed 'em.......don't breed 'em!

A simple logic that is even understood by wild animals e.g. kangaroos when food is scarce due to weather or other factors - but a logic that many humans fail to comprehend.

I agree with basfordred...............education.

• Upvote 1