What A Merry Christmas

Does anyone recall a Christmas where TV advertizing has featured so many tables groaning with food sandwiched with so many charity appeals for the poor and starving? What a sad, illogical world!

If £5 buys a well for a village ,with all the billions that has been donated why is there still villages with no water,ask what percentage

of donation reaches the people it was donated for ,think y ou will be shocked.

• Upvote 2

I saw a bill board today stating that the 85 richest people in the world have, if they combine their wealth, the same amount as 3.5.billion poor people in the world or something along those lines........mek's you think.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. My screen went bonkers last night. Changing colours, slow and irregular.

Leave it !!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I don't really care how much rich buggers have. I was born with limited means, had very little money most of my life and likewise now.

However, I have a great wife, 2 healthy hard-working sons and 5 gorgeous grand kids. I am loved by my family. As long as I don't starve, they can keep their opulence. They'll never be as happy as me.

• Upvote 7

Anyone who has attained wealth by their own determination and sheer hard work has my complete admiration.

I certainly don't begrudge them their rewards. If at any stage, it is passed down to their equally hardworking offspring, then that too is fine by me !

• Upvote 2

# 8 I'm 65 and healthy, house paid for, debt free & happily married (stepson 28 & self employed)

With a reasonable income to give me(& my wife)a life style we enjoy.

Would I like to be rich ?......................No not really.

Are the rich as happy as me?..............I don't think so after all they have all that money to worry about. ;)

• Upvote 3

There have been times in our lives when we have been finacially much better off than today. We have never been sensible and saved money. Kind of : lived for the moment. If money was around and we wanted something: then we had it! I can't pretend that I wouldn't like a bit more than we have got, because I would. If I came into money, my main priority would be securing our Lovely Daughters comfort and safety for the future. Without us she is practically housebound with Arthritis.

Saying all of that. There are so many things that are free to enjoy. You can't beat a good laugh, and that's free intit Mi ducks. slywink

• Upvote 4

I'm sure wealthy people don't worry about their money. The have good accountants to see to that side of things.

• Upvote 2

What the hell is happening. The screen is all white today, with darkazanas pics emblazoned across the top

Stop messing about.

At the age of 63 I am still doing lots of physical work, and that's the way I like it. My body complains sometimes but I think physical work is satisfying. I wouldn't change places with an office wallah who sits on his arius all day.

• Upvote 2

Job satisfaction was always important to me. I was lucky in the fact that most jobs I had were very well paid, but also, I found them very enjoyable. Stressful, tiring and long hours but very satisfying.

• Upvote 2

Financially I am ok, not poor & nowhere near rich, happy with our lot.

Both my kids on the other hand have both got very good, well paid jobs & earn far more than I ever did, all the money they get BUT are always complaining that they are skint !

My daughter spends more time on holidays to the US than she does visiting me in Bulwell, she can't knock Bulwell, she was born & brought up here.

At least they are taking me & Mrs Catfan out tonight !

• Upvote 2

If £5 buys a well for a village ,with all the billions that has been donated why is there still villages with no water,ask what percentage

of donation reaches the people it was donated for ,think y ou will be shocked.

I agree. And think of the donations that have been given over the many years to no, or little, improvement.

It seems that some people dislike seeing the ads on TV of starving people. I'm sure that the human beings involved wouldn't want to be the 'stars of the show' either. They'd want to be living the same way as we do. The main reason they don't is because their governments would sooner spend billions of pounds on war and corruption. In Nottingham, we love it if we go for long periods without rain. If they have long periods without rain then the crops fail and they starve. This is the time that they become TV stars. I have a grandaughter who celebrated her 1st birthday a few days ago. She will, hopefully, grow up wanting for nothing. Imagine if we lived in a faraway village and I had to watch her starve to death. That's the reality. I would imagine that most people are desensitized to seeing starving people on the TV as they tuck into their Christmas pudding, their half-eaten dinner pushed to one side.

It's only the governments of the World who can solve these problems but they are mostly corrupt and rotten to the core. Merry Christmas.

• Upvote 3

Sorry Michael, don't you dare try and make me feel guilty. Africa will never progress because the populace just want to reproduce.

They haven't progressed into the 20th century never mind the 21st.

They were better equipped for furtherance of evolution in the days of the Empires.

Another mince pie ? Thank you !

• Upvote 2

During the time I was in the RAF, there was a famine in Ethiopia and we sent out Hercules aircraft with aid. I talked to a crew member and he told of how they landed there, opened the cargo doors and were met by open hands and dead bodies. The Ethiopians were told to help themselves by cleaning things up to avoid disease before aid would be given, which was done. He also mentioned that 'down the road' at Addis Ababa, steaks and other such foods could be had at any restaurant.

I'm afraid I'm with 'basfordred' on this. Of course it's a human tragedy; of course it is unthinkable to us that we should suffer similarly and watch our families starve but how long have these situations been occurring? I have mentioned in these annals before that as a schoolboys in the 50s, we were asked for money to 'adopt' an African child. There is little will within governments, including it seems the governments of suffering nations, to do anything about it and not all human disasters are caused by climate. Civil war appears to be rife and as suggested, charitable offerings are often diverted to feed the fire.

My reason in beginning this subject was to highlight the irony of asking for charity on the TV (how much does that cost by the way?) alongside screening tables groaning with food advertising the wares of supermarkets. When I see these things, I sometimes regret being entered for the human race.

• Upvote 1

basfordred, I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty. Everyone has their own views on the subject and nothing that I say will change their mind. You state that the populace just want to reproduce. Unfortunately, they don't have a Boots Chemist to buy condoms from, even if they had the money to spend. How can villages in the middle of nowhere, whose people are poor and uneducated, progress into the 20th century? They are abandoned by their governments and in time of hardship and famine it's only the aid from the West that can save them. We could, of course, let them all starve to death and the problem would be over. Enjoy your mince pie.