I think one of the best cowboys film was The Magnificent Seven. and not to be sniffed at "High Noon"" 

• Like 1
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The guy who carried out some electrical work for me.........for legal reasons l cannot name him.

And her husband....Gene

Sure was Fly,, Painted the town red even,, Made the ladies smile,, And killed all the baddies,, Just wish i was 6 inches taller 2 years younger and had a Horse,,, lol,,

John Wayne's "True Grit". The remake weren't too bad either.

Another couple, "Blazing Saddles" and the hilarious "Cactus Jack", with Kirk Douglas.

The trouble is with spaghetti westerns, is the terrible audio dubbing. It's the same with a lot of foreign films.

You find yourself looking away from the screen to avoid the bad lipsync, which detracts from the reason of watching in the first place.

Beekay, I don't really notice the bad dubbing, after about 5 minutes, i just get immursed in the film. Yes Cliff Ton the music and effects are great, my favourite is from The good, the bad and the ugly. That always takes me right back to my childhood.

• Like 1

Although it could be construed as a bit “naff” I love the John Wayne cowboy films (not so much the ones where he wins WWII by himself), The Searchers, True Grit, She Wore A Yellow Riibbon etc. He just epitomised a cowboy for me with that walk, just seemed so right.

The original Magnificent Seven is brilliant and the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns aren’t bad, the shooting of the gun fights are brilliant with the shots of just the eyes. 
I can vaguely remember Roy Rogers and Hopalong Cassidy, they had tv series I think. Then there was Wagon Train which was on Monday nights at 8 in the evening I think, I can remember my dad putting his feet Up and watching it along with Rawhide (starring a very young Clint Eastwood). Whoa betide you if you interrupted the programme! I can also remember watching Maverick, I preferred the ones with a James Garner(?)in them not the other guy. Was that on on a Sunday afternoon - not sure.

When we went to the pictures as a kid the first thing we looked for was a John Wayne film. Next in order of importance was is it was in Technicolor the subject of the film pretty muck irrelevant though bonus for war or cowboys.

As a nipper I never quite understood how night time was so blue in cowboyland or how barbers could shave just using foam, the cowboy being called away before a razor went anywhere near him. My dad told me why stagecoach wheels went backwards but I never really understood.

The only westerns I remember from TV were the Cisco Kid and Lone Ranger. Later Smith n Jones and loads more. Tenderfoot (remaned from sugarfoot for some reason), Cheyenne  caused a huge between my parents when mam wanted to go out and dad replied "but Cheyenne is on telly"... time for a sharp exit!.

So many... the more I think about them the more I realise just how many westerns there were at the time.

Remember when i were 11/12 it was Saturday afternoon kids pictures. Coulda been Flash Gordon or, if it were a cowboy, we lads always used to run home slapping our backsides as if we were riding a hoss and if there was a decent group there were always goodies and baddies, sometimes injuns. Got home quicker but with a sore bum. My local was the Orion or Ilkeston Road cinema. Nottm.

‘Strange isn’t it, how the  ‘Indians’ were usually considered to be the baddies and the cowboys were the goodies.  The ‘Indians’ or ‘native Americans’ were only defending their own land which had been theirs for probably thousands of years, to stop it being taken over by ‘the white man’.   
I know who I sympathise with now, but I didn’t know any better when I was a child

• Like 1

That's always been the case around the world.

The same thing happened with native tribes in Africa, Central/Southern America, and Australian aborigines They were regarded as 'savages' who had to be 'educated' by Europeans, often via missionaries trying to convert them to christianity.

• Like 1

Invasions, genocides and gendercides have been going on since Neanderthal times, it's not new or even a European phenomena. Hopefully we've learned from our mistakes - but I doubt it.

@Cliff Ton.... but the missionaries didn’t deliberately steal the ‘natives’ land for their own settlements like the immigrants who went t America and violently stole the native Americans’ land!

On 4/4/2021 at 10:18 AM, Beekay said:

The trouble is with spaghetti westerns, is the terrible audio dubbing. It's the same with a lot of foreign films.

You find yourself looking away from the screen to avoid the bad lipsync, which detracts from the reason of watching in the first place.

BK spaghetti westerns were made in Italy with american actors as far as i know. I agree with foreign films dubbing. practically all the films on tv here are foreign ( english and american with the occasional french film so they are fubbed in italian and its strange when you know the voice of John Wayne and other famous names and the voice is totally different. I changed the tv to play in english so films are a bit more interesting and you dont miss anything.

The nearest I have ever been to real cowboys was at the Alamo in San Antonio. 

18 hours ago, nonnaB said:

The nearest I have ever been to real cowboys was at the Alamo in San Antonio. 

The nearest I have been to cowboys is when I stood and watched some brickies at work on that new housing development by Percy....somebody or other!

• 1 month later...