Gedling Christmas Tree

6 HOURS after your post 'carnie'...............................obviously nobobody knows,.............or somebodys hid it,.......... :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Oh Dear! What a shame. When I worked at Compton Hospice, we had a donated one every year and one particular year there were no Needles left on by Christmas Eve. Thankfully the patients didn't see it. It was in the Old Hall not on the ward.

I did think a picture might have been in the Nottm Post, seeing as the tree mentioned on #1 is supposed to be Gedlings first one? :)

Cheers Miduck! I was thinking perhaps on the frontage of the shops at the bottom of West Dale Lane or right up the other end of the village where the old Post office used to be ( can you remember that far back Sue B) There is what looks like a little Public Garden, with benches around. That would be a good place for lights and a tree? Have a mooch for me Sue B. :biggrin:

Yes carni I can remember just about. My thought was near the church where the old horse trough is.

Or as you say around the old post office. I'll park up and have a meander.

• Upvote 1

Had a little wendle around Gedling today and ha ho I'v found the elusive Christmas Tree.

Bottom of Arnold Lane where It meets Main Road at the mini roundabout its near the miners memorial.

It looks a right treat. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Thanks SueB,

That's a brilliant bit of Detective work. Is that where you thought it would be? It is one of three places that I thought it might be! Perfect place.

Hey sueB, you can't beat a wendle round the village can you Miduck. thumbsup

• Upvote 1

Aaah, I have gone all Sentimental and Sploshy, (Well I am a Gel arn't I, be it that I am an ode un ) thinking about Gedlings first ever christmas tree. Ever since sueB located it #10, I keep imagining what it looks like. Just think. By the time I get over to Nottingham again at the end of Jan it will be gone. Aaaah. So I was wondering :rolleyes: if anyone is passing, and has a camera. would yer tek a picture for us and post it (Make an ode Gedlingite Happy). :Friends: xxxxx I'll buy ya an orange at Christmas.

• 11 months later...

Went to the Gedling Christmas Tree light's turn on yesterday couldn't get you a photo carni it was tipping it down.

I must say though it is bigger and better than last year.

The highlight for me was going into the Memorial hall for mince pies and a cuppa, you might think boring but for me

it was a huge blast from the past as this was our youth club when I was about 13. It even smelt the same. Us gals

would make a bee line for the ladies with our stashed makeup, black eyeliner spit on mascara and lippy then out into

the hall to be admired.

SO COOL

• Upvote 3

We are visiting sisters in Gedling on Wed morning; when we come over present delivering and for the meetup, so i will get chance to see the tree this year. I would have loved to see the inside of the Memorial Hall again. So many memories. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...

Hi Carni Sunday school in the hall, made to go until i was 15. A cousin was the teacher, was one of the most boring things i can remember. The house next to it had a good apple tree in it Wire fence around it, and a big Pig inside it, someone had to get the Pigs attention then you could run in and get apples. You had to be quick, the Pig did bite. Sunday school at church was better you could sneak off and climb up to the belfry.Cant remember a Xmas tree in Gedling What thread? Apple Tree Lane nearby, and the field next to it used to be good for sledging. The lamp posts on it accounted for quite a few broken bones.

• Upvote 1

Taxi, Did you live in Gedling, We first lived in the village and then the Phoenix Estate until I left Nottm in 1966. I know well the places you have mentioned, and Apple Tree Lane was as you say good for sledging. An absolute nightmare trying to walk up there in the snow and ice.

The first Christmas tree in Gedling was 2014 and it was sited opposite where the Blacksmiths place was. Same place again this year. We managed to get over to Gedling and see it this year.

This is the thread that the tree is discussed on Taxi, and here is a link if you want to read it.

http://www.gedling.gov.uk/aboutus/newspublications/latestnews/teenagerspleabringschristmastreetogedlingvillage.php

Hi Carni Lived on Main Rd, no 18. Front room used to be a green grocery shop. Next door was Leafs the butchers, then Duncroft Ave. Skellingtons the barbers, then Horsepools green grocers. Further down twds. Chesterfield Arms a chemists, Peppars? Across the road from us Richardsons paper shop, i think they moved further up towards Marsdens into a bigger shop There was another small shop across the road from us, Balls, a little old lady, sold sweets. Worked for a short time at Co-Op in the grocery dept. My mate worked round the corner at the mens hairdressers.Co-Op had old wooden counters then, people queued to be served. Loose Lurpack please! We had to skin giant cheeses, and bone sides of bacon. Further up Westdale two Lawrences , Stephanie was in our class at school. Turn right up Pheonix lived in one of the last council houses on the right before the pit houses start. Also lived on Westdale near the tavern, on Redland Grove, and Burton Rd near the railway bridge Went to Priory , Chandos, and Gedling Sec. Bet you wish you had never asked. Sorry. Always had a soft spot for Gedling. A few years ago drove up from Burton Joyce, and missed Gedling ,some wally had built Netherfield by pass. Stop yawning thats it.

• Upvote 1

I was born on Chatworth Ave 1948, then we moved to Hardys Drive,(directly opposite Skellingtons and Horsepools) until about 1959 and I remember all the shops you mention. Not much traffic about when we were children, so we used to play out on the pavements of Main Road, We used to go in Balls Shop every day for sweets. If you are around the same age our paths probably crossed. Do you remember any of the familes, at that time. 1959ish we moved up on to the Phoenix estate. We also went to the same senior School. I would think we probably know some of the same people.

You are testing my memory now! Hardys Drive, it was a unmade road then.The first house on the right going down my sister in laws sister lived there.Cath or Kath. i think. At the bottom of the road was a big gate? leading to a big house? the doctors house ? I seem to remember going down there so i presume i must have known someone down there. Between Hardys and Balls there was a family with two lads, possibly Michael Wood and a older brother. The younger one{my age} decided he wanted to fight me ? after i had dealt with it his older brother chased me.Luckily i was a good runner.There was a Charlie Bull somewhere near there, he used to pinch things from Balls.The road next to Balls there was a big house the lad there was Jack Massey he was older than me, always in trouble at Chandos. The only girls i can remember from near there was a Sandra White and Richardsons daughter at the paper shop.Down Duncroft there was a Howard Neil who had a big serious pedal car and a good water pistol. Further down was the Brightmans, who had three sons, one my age Cleveland and two older. Some people moved in next to us who had a son and a daughter, cant remember there name, but there dad had a medal for hitting a German plane over Gedling pit!! People used to reckon half the people in Gedling claimed to have hit it! Dont know if the story was true. Thats about it. Knew a lot of people off the pit estate and Gedling school. Had a short spell when i was at the Co-Op helping out on the mobile grocery van that went around there.April 45 by the way.

• Upvote 1

taxi I was born in Gedling 1948 lived next door to David wood. Most of the names you mention are familiar to me.

I had older Brother's at Chandos and Sister's at station Rd. girls school. I with my good friend carni went to the same

sec. school as you.

Taxi, SueB and I know most of the names you have mentioned and I feel fairly sure that if you knew those people; you probably knew us as well.If only by sight. The big gate that you mention was indeed the Doctors Garden Gate. SueB and I spent part of every day swinging on it. We lived at Hardys Drive until about 1959ish. Perhaps you knew Terence and Tony, two brothers who lived at one of the last houses near the gate?

I Like the story of the German Plane, I must say I haven't heard that before, but while talking to Canon Watson from Gedling Church he once pointed out damage on the spire where it had been hit in the war? Perhaps the same plane?