Wondered if anyone could help me, my mum died a few years ago and as a child she grew up in a place called Radford House in the late 1930s and 40s. I have a fantastic oil painting that was left in her inhertence surrounded by hedges and fields.

I believe the house was sold sometime in the 50s and became a car showroom by the name of Butterworth &Walker, it was eventually pulled down in 1959.

What I'm trying to understand is where exactly was the house situated, I believe it was on Ilkeston Road but unsure where, my mothers maiden name was Hopewell as in the furniture people.

Many thanks

Rich.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Trickydicky. I look forward to sharing your memories.

If your Hopewell link included the Hopewells in Radcliffe On Trent, Harry Hopewell being the Junior School Headmaster back in the 60s; send me a PM as I can give some info on him and his family

Wondered if anyone could help me, my mum died a few years ago and as a child she grew up in a place called Radford House in the late 1930s and 40s. I have a fantastic oil painting that was left in her inhertence surrounded by hedges and fields.

I believe the house was sold sometime in the 50s and became a car showroom by the name of Butterworth &Walker, it was eventually pulled down in 1959.

What I'm trying to understand is where exactly was the house situated, I believe it was on Ilkeston Road but unsure where, my mothers maiden name was Hopewell as in the furniture people.

Many thanks

Rich.

Butterworth and Walker on Ilkeston Road became GT Cars (Renault Dealers) - I onced worked there when I was a Temp in the 1970's.............

Butterworth and Walker on Ilkeston Road became GT Cars (Renault Dealers) - I onced worked there when I was a Temp in the 1970's.............

Based on what Blondie has said, look at these two photos. The white house in the centre is on the site of B&W (later GT Cars). Is that your Radford House? Does it match your oil painting? This is the junction of Ilkeston Road / St Peter's Street.

rad1-1.jpg

rad2.jpg

• 1 year later...